Offenburg ist best known for being the capital of the wine region Ortenau. It sides west to the Black Forest at the Upper Rhine, lying at the entrance of the Kinzigtal and the Renchtal.
- Tourist information, Fischmarkt 2, ☎ .
The nearest airports are as follow:
- Barden Airpark Karlsruhe / Baden Baden (FKB)
- Strasbourg Airport (SXB)
- Euroairport [dead link] Basel Mulhouse Freiburg (BSL, MLH or EAP)
The Offenburg Hauptbahnhof is situated close to the inner city. Frequent connections run to the north towards Frankfurt and south to Basel, with fast ICE trains leaving in each direction each hour. Again, planning ahead can get cheap fares of 29€ each way. From the Hauptbahnhof, you have direct access to the Busbahnhof which runs directly overhead the main station. The Hauptbahnhof is also within easy walking distance of the inner city. Main direct destinations include:
- Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof and Airport (Flughafen),
- Zurich, (Switzerland)
- Basel, (Switzerland)
- Strasbourg, (France),
- Amsterdam, (The Netherlands),
- Milan, (Italy),
Local and regional trains can be good for day trips or for traveling to nearby cities, for example Freiburg, Karlsruhe, Baden Baden, Freudenstadt or Konstanz. In the main station ask for the Länder-tickets. Such tickets can be used by a group of up to 5 persons in the RB and RE trains as well as for local transport. They are a much cheaper alternative for a group of travelers going to cities nearby or going for a day trip.
Offenburg is connected to the German highway system via the A5, running along the Valley of the Upper Rhine from south to north, starting at the Swiss border. It also is accessible through the Kinzigtal Black Forest via the B33. To Strassbourg/France it takes about 30 minutes by car. To Freiburg it is about 50 minutes. Baden Baden is a 30 minute car ride to the north, using the A5. Freuenstadt is reachable in one hour through the Renchtal via the B28.
- Burg Staufenberg, Durbach, ☎ . Winery
- Schloss Ortenberg. Youth Hostel
- Ruine Schaunburg.
- Museum im Ritterhaus, Ritterstraße 10. displays culutre, history, art and nature.
- Schulmuseum Zell-Weierbach ( Museum für ehemals Großherzoglich Badische Schulen), Schulstraße 3, Zell-Weierbach.
A reasonable sized town with about 450 stores.
- Schöllmanns, Hauptstraße 88, ☎ . Restaurant, cafe and club.
- Confiserie Kaffeehaus Gmeiner, Steinstraße 2, ☎ . Chocolate cakes and coffee
- Gasthof Blume, Weinstraße 160, Rammersweier, ☎ . Michelin recommended regional dishes
- Schloss Ortenberg Youth hostel, Burgweg 21, Ortenberg. The fairytale castle is also the Ortenaus landmark.
- Mercure Hotel Offenburg am Messeplatz, Schutterwälder Straße 1a, ☎ .
- Hotel Sonne, Hauptstraße 94, ☎ .