Old Saybrook is a city of 10,000 people (2020) in Connecticut at the mouth of the Connecticut River. Families and tourists enjoy Old Saybrook's beaches, the high quality of restaurants, and the peaceful and serene atmosphere. Many people travel from all over in their high class boats which they dock at the marina next to the ocean. Old Saybrook is where the Connecticut River meets Long Island Sound.
Old Saybrook is on the west side of the mouth of the Connecticut River, 45 miles from Hartford, 101 miles from New York, and 105 miles from Boston.
- Groton-New London Airport, 155 Tower Ave., Groton, ☏ . It takes about 30 minutes by car to get from the airport to Old Saybrook.
- Amtrak, 455 Boston Post Road, ☏ . The station is open 5:15AM-10PM , Ticket sales end at 9:30PM.
- Shore Line East, 455 Boston Post Road (Same Building), ☏ .
- Estuary Transit District, 455 Boston Post Rd., ☏ .
- The buses are called 9 Town Transit Service. Buses that run along the shoreline provide regular service along route 1 from Madison to Old Saybrook and all points in between. Its stops include Madison center, Hammonassett State Park, Clinton Crossings, Tangers Outlets, YMCA, Walmart, and the Old Saybrook Train Station.
- The Riverside Shuttle provides regular service along route 154 from Old Saybrook to Essex, Deep River, and Chester. Regular stops will include the Old Saybrook Train station, Essex Square, Adam's Market, and the Center of Chester.
Old Saybrook is located off Interstate 95 at Exit 68. Old Saybrook is about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes from Providence and 2 hours and 15 minutes from New York.
- Old Saybrook is part of the 9 Transit Service which serves the Estuary Transit District. It has regular service M-Sa and can be called for personalized service. ☏ .
- Fort Saybrook Monument Park, Saybrook Point. 18 acres of beautiful woods owned by the Town of Old Saybrook. Storyboards "walk you around" and tell the story. Free.
- General William Hart House, 350 Main Street, ☏ . Mid-Jun to mid-Sep: Sa Su 1-4PM. Representing some of Connecticut's oldest architecture, this house was built in 1767 by a prominent citizen in Old Saybrooks history. Volunteer tour guides will take you around this elegant piece of American history. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and home to the local historical society, this mansion features eight corner fireplaces. Award-winning historical gardens. $5.
Whether one desires to take a relaxing stroll on the beach, tour the ocean with a serene boat ride, take a look at fascinating antiques and even go shopping, Old Saybrook is perfect for an entertaining and memorable experience.
- [dead link] Harvey Beach, 29 Plum Bank Rd. This small, shallow-water beach has a bathhouse with showers on-site. Visitors should contact the Old Saybrook Parks & Recreation Department at +1 860 395-3152 for up-to-date fee schedules.
- Essex-Saybrook Antiques Village, on Rt. 154; 345 Middlesex turnpike, +1 860-388-0689. Opened daily from 11AM-5PM. Enjoy this 120-dealer group shop featuring a complete collection of antiques & collectibles.
- Tova's Vintage Shop, 1330 Boston Post Rd (Rt 1), ☏ . M-Sa 10:30AM-5PM. Browse through vintage clothing and jewelry. Find anything from 1880 to 1970.
- The Mod Pod at Antiques Associates, 1450 Boston Post Rd (Rt 1), ☏ . W-Su 11AM-5PM. Enjoy the mid-century modern furnishings, lighting, paintings, and pottery.
- Van's Elegant Antiques, 998 Middlesex Turnpike, +1 860-388-1934
- Oscar J. and Company, 105 Elm Street, Suite 16, ☏ . Since 1982, this full-service jewelry store has been offering a wide range of fine and unique jewelry. They also have baby gifts, watches, and jewelry boxes. Services include jewelry repair, custom design and appraisals.
- North Cove Outfitters, 75 Main Street, ☏ . Located on Old Saybrook's historic Main Street, this store will cover all outdoor needs. North Cover Outfitters will have all clothing and equipment needs such as for sailing, yachting, hiking, and biking.
- Ocean Performance, 280 Boston Post Road, ☏ .
- Jensens Yacht Sales LLC, 142 Ferry Road #8, ☏ . Plenty of boats to look at on site.
- Seaforth Boat, 54 Ferry Road, ☏ .
- O'Rourke Marine LLC, 15 Clark Street, ☏ .
- Black Hall Yacht Sales, 141 Boston Post Road, ☏ .
- Wal-Mart Supercenter, 65 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Alarge selection of electronics, toys, video games, apparel, furniture, appliances, garden, sports, gifts, jewelry, cosmetics, media and more.
- Famous Footwear, 665 Boston Post Road, ☏ .
- Pier 1 Imports, 665 Boston Post Road, ☏ .
- Old Glory Boutique, 1804 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Old Glory, the largest selection of music, sports, humor & entertainment apparel.
- Action Sports, 1385 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Action Sports carries an excellent selection of equipment, clothing, and accessories for skiing, snowboarding, biking, kayaking, and inline skating.
Old Saybrook offers many different selections of restaurants and types of food. One can enjoy eating on the water or in town. Old Saybrook provides outstanding fresh seafood, Italian, and more.
- Alforno Trattoria, 1654 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Su-Th noon-9PM, F Sa noon-10PM. Pizza is the specialty here at Alforno where it is very inexpensive. Lunch and dinner are only served along with only beer and wine.
- Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food, 1712 Boston Post Rd, ☏ . M-Sa 11:30AM to 3PM, daily 3-10PM or 11PM, Sunday brunch, 11AM-2PM. An outdoor patio restaurant, mainly Tex-Mex food and a full bar, located by a small shopping center along Route 1. Mains $14.95 to $22.95.
- Dock & Dine, 145 College St, ☏ . Located right by the marina overlooking the water. Boats can dock right up to the restaurant.
- Frankie's Restaurant, 359 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Located on the water, an open air deck gives views of Long Island Sounds and the surrounding coastline.
- Jack's American Bistro & Wine, 286 Main St, ☏ . Tu-F 11:30AM-4PM, Tu-Su 5-10 or 11PM, Sunday brunch, 11:30AM-2PM. The bestsellers are Sesame-Crusted Tuna, Peking-Style Cornish Game Hen, Garlic and Ginger-Marinated Shrimp, Summer Tomato and Watermelon Salad. The cuisine style American/New, Bistro along with lunch and dinner served only. Starters: $7-12, mains: $19-32, desserts: $7-10.
- Liv's Oyster Bar, 166 Main St, ☏ . M W Th 5-10PM, F Sa 5-11PM, Su 5-9PM. The bestsellers are Oysters, Scallops & Pecan Carmel Tart. Price range: starters $7 to $11; sandwiches $9.50 to $18; mains $17.50 to $22; desserts $6 to $8.
- Luigi's Restaurant, 1295 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Open daily for lunch and dinner and specialize in homemade Italian food. Daily pasta specials are a must to try.
- Parthenon Diner, 809 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Daily 6AM-midnight. Old style diner with the local touch. Their website has their menu.
- Pat's Kountry Kitchen, 70 Mill Rock Rd E, ☏ . 7AM to 9PM, closed Wednesday. Seafood, meats & produce are delivered daily. Feast on 20 or more homemade pies, soups and daily specials from $3-15. Try the famous Clam Hash, or Red Flannel Hash. Lunch entrees $3-9; dinner entrees $8-15..
- Terra Mar Grill, 2 Bridge St, ☏ . Daily 11:30AM-2PM, 6-9 or 10PM. A formal and waterfront dining place in the Saybrook Point Inn & Spa. The L-shaped room wraps around an interior full bar, with windows looking on the Connecticut River beyond a marina. Entrées, $21.95 to $33.95.
- Saybrook Fish House, 99 Essex Road, ☏ . Specializing is closely caught seafood from Long Island Sound. Try one of the fish specials, different each night. The local lobster is good and won't hurt your wallet.
- Zhangs, 455 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Enjoy this Chinese restaurant with a small but excellent sushi bar.
- Pizza Works, 455 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Located at the Amtrak station (separate building), this restaurant is a must if you like pizza or trains.
Bars are very popular in this area. If you want to enjoy a cocktail with a friend or just sit and relax with a tasty drink, here are some places recommended in Old Saybrook.
- Main Street Tavern, 256 Main St, ☏ . A dining/bar in Old Saybrook that offers delicious drinks and meals.
- Penny Lane Pub & Restaurant, 150 Main St, ☏ . A great Irish pub to enjoy a drink!
- Starbucks, 15 Main St, ☏ .
- Paperback Café Coffeehouse and Eatery, 210 Main Street, ☏ . This coffeehouse features gourmet coffees, teas, sandwiches, soups, salads, daily breakfast specials, desserts and baked goods.
- Comfort Inn Old Saybrook, 100 Essex Road, ☏ . This hotel is 15 miles from the Groton-New London Airport and is minutes from the USS Nautilus, the Connecticut River Museum, Camelot Cruises, Gillette Castle State Park, the Mohegan Sun casino and the Mystic Aquarium & Institute For Exploration.
- Days Inn Old Saybrook, 1430 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Provides great amenities for guests. Near the Essex Steam Train and Riverboat Ride, Florence Griswold Museum, Gillette Castle, and Hammonassett State Beach.
- Sandpiper Inn Old Saybrook, 1750 Boston Post Road, ☏ . Close to all local all day attractions, restaurants, shopping malls, and plazas. Enjoy a relaxing 1/2 acre pond with a large fountain and gazebo area which is perfect for wedding, family, or any other gathering event.
- Super 8 Old Saybrook, 37 Spencer Plain Road, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. This hotel has many attractions to offer nearby: Mystic Seaport & Aquarium, Casinos, Beaches & Golf, Outlet Malls, Antiques, Children's Museum, Marina's Ferry, Historic Essex, Steam Train & River Boat Rides, Gillette Castle, USS Crocker Memorial.
- Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, 2 Bridge St, ☏ . Offers room service, restaurant on site, fitness center, spa, sauna, bar/lounge, fully air-conditioned, non-smoking rooms available, smoking rooms available, pool. Rate Range: from $145 to $470 per night.
- Executive Inn & Suites, 7 N Main St, ☏ . A comfortable lodging inn with beautiful rooms which is close to many attractions including the train station, shopping centers, and restaurants.
- Heritage Motor Inn, 1500 Boston Post Rd. (US Rt. 1) (exit 66 of I-95 left onto Rt. 1), ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. A small motel run by a local family, stressing economical, no frills, clean, and comfortable accommodations. A step above the chains and wanabees in service and authentic local and regional knowledge. Call the chamber of commerce +1(860)388-3266 or read the online reviews, this is the real deal. $60-130.
- Old Saybrook Town Hall 302 Main Street. Phone: +1 860-395-3123. Hours: M – F 8:30AM – 4:30PM
|Routes through Old Saybrook|
|New York City ← New Haven ←||SW NE||→ New London → Providence|
|Providence ← Old Lyme ←||N S||→ Clinton → New Haven|
|Providence ← Old Lyme ←||N S||→ Clinton → New Haven|
|New Haven ← Clinton ←||W E||→ New London → END|