The city, built on a 643-m-high mountain, is visible from afar and because of its unique silhouette motif on many Andalusian postcards. Originating from the Roman Hippa Nova and later the Moorish Wubira, the Moorish castle was taken in 1327 by the troops of the Christian King Alfonso XI. In the 16th century, several people of the city were instrumental in the conquest of Peru and Pánama. Today the city is a local centre for agriculture and is enjoying increasing tourist attention.
The closest airport is Jerez de la Frontera, approx 1 hr 15 min by car. There are several daily flights from Madrid and Barcelona (Iberia, Spanair, Vueling). Ryanair flies daily from London Stansted and Frankfurt Hahn. Other operators fly scheduled, charter, or seasonal flights.
The Antigua Estación de Ferrocaril is near the bus station. However, the station is closed and there is no connection to the Spanish rail network. The nearest train station is in the town of Setenil, on the Ronda-Bobadilla railway line. Almarjen (25 minutes away) is on the Algeciras to Bobadilla route. Ronda is about 40 minutes away.
There should be a bus connection from Los Amarillos SL, Tel. +34 952187061, via Setenil to Ronda. At 09:00 a bus from Automoviles Casado SA leaves for Málaga. At 13:45 the bus leaves Malaga bus station back to Olvera.
Olvera is on the A384 from Jerez to Campillos.
Two outstanding structures at the highest point of the city contribute significantly to the striking silhouette of the city: the magnificent church Iglesia Arcipestral de Nuestra Senora de la Encarnación, which was built from Italian marble at the end of the 18th century, and the Moorish castle.
In the cityscape, a large stone statue of Christ stands out, which reminds one of the landmark of Rio de Janeiro. Outside the city, on the road to Torre Alháquime, the monastery of Santuario Nuestra Senora de los Remedios from the 18th century offers a regionally significant spiritual focus.
- Moorish castle. Visit the Moorish castle from the 12th century with a view over the city. Open: Tu-Su 10:30-14:00, 16:30-18:30
- Museo La Frontera y Los Castillos. In the square next to the church and the castle is this interesting little museum about the Spanish Reconquista. Open: in winter Tu-Su 10:30-14:00, 16:00-18:00; in summer Tu-Su 10:30-14:00, 16:00-19:00
- Corpus Christi when the streets are strewn with reeds and mint, the walls bedecked with sunflowers and palm fronds and the estaciones are small wells of delight along the route.
- Semana Santa (Easter or Holy Week) is local and authentic and emotive.
- Feria in August. A coming together of the clans for a week long, all night and day party.
- Romeria picnic out by the sanctuary.
- Bird watching (Peñon de Zaframagon.)
- Hang gliding at the nearby Algodonales piste.
- Fishing and boating at the Zahara lake.
Olive Oil and olive oil soap.
- El Estacion del Via Verde for modern cuisine.
- [dead link] Mi Pueblo, Plaza de Andalucia s/n, ☏ . Full service restaurant with function rooms offering traditional and modern cuisine in the style of the sierra de Cádiz. Also has a bodega where you can try lots of locally produced wines.
- Frenazo's (disco environment)
- Juanito Gomez knows about the Spanish and the region's wines - always good for a conversation. Bobadillo white is slightly sweet for some palettes.
- El Tapir despistado, Plaza Torre del Pan, 1, ☏ . Th-Su 11:00-23:00. The only bar within the walls of the old Moorish castle of Olvera, El Tapir despistado is built within one of its towers, the 'torre de pan', reflecting it's previous use as a bakery. The bar is small inside but has terrace with stunning views and an idyllic patio. Ideal place to chill out with a good glass of wine and some delicious tapas.
- El Estacion del Via Verde.
- Hotel Fuente del Pino, immediately left at the exit of the A382. Tel .: +34 956130232. Great swimming pool in lovely gardens.
- Hotel Sierra y Cal, Nuestra Senora de los Remedios 2. Tel .: +34 956130303. Has hotel style pool.
The Via Verde walk is a "must". Hire a bike from the old station hotel for a great ride at a cheap rate.