Dödershulsvik is an old name for Oskarshamn. The city name was changed in 1856 when Oskarshamn was granted city privileges. The name was taken from the Swedish king at the time, Oscar I. The privileges caused a rapid population expansion, from some 2,200 inhabitants in 1856 to 5,000 in 1877. Another contributing factor was the railway connecting Oskarshamn with Nässjö, constructed in 1874. Oskarshamn has historically been an active shipyard. The area surrounding Oskarshamn is also filled with old quarries, a few of which is still operated today. Oskarshamn is a typical industrial city, characterized by having a few dominating employers.
- 1 Oskarshamn ferry terminal (Oskarshamns hamn).
- 1 [dead link] Döderhultarmuseet (Döderhultarn's Museum), Hantverksgatan 18-20 (Located in Kulturhuset), ☏ . M-F 10.00-16.30, Sa 10.00-14.00. The studio of Axel Petersson (1868-1925), also known by the name of "Döderhultarn", who was a wood sculptor known across Sweden. 90 kr.
- Sjöfartsmuseet, Hantverksgatan 18-20 (Located in Kulturhuset), ☏ . M, Tu, Th, F 10.00-16.30, W 10-00-20.00, Sa 10.00-14.00. Exhibits the local marine history. Exhibits include paintings, models and nautical instruments. 90 kr.
- 2 Fredriksbergs herrgård (1,500 m (4,900 ft) west of Oskarshamn), ☏ . Open per appointment around the year. Guided tours by appointment. The café is open from mid July to mid August. An 18th century mansion, turned into a restaurant, cafe and museum. It is a popular place for celebrating weddings and larger parties.
- Blå Jungfrun, a national park on a deserted island.
- Misterhult Archipelago
- Best Western Sjöfartshotellet, Sjöfartsgatan 13, ☏ . Check-in: 14.00, check-out: 12.00. A traditional hotel in central Oskarshamn. Parking, breakfast and internet is included in the fee for the room. Has a restaurant and a bar. 800 kr.
- Best Western Hotel Corallen, Gröndalsgatan 35, ☏ . Check-in: 15.00, check-out: 12.00. Located by the sea, with most of the rooms having their own balconies. Free wifi. Conference facilities for up to 70 people. Also has a relax and sauna area, a restaurant, a bar and a summer open outdoors pool. 1100 kr.
- STF Vandrarhem Oskarshamn/Oscar, Långgatan 15-17, ☏ . A hostel open around the year. Has conference facilities and a breakfast buffet.
There are two camping places, one in the northern part and one in the southern part of the city. Northern one, Havslätts, is community-led, and, generally, has better (plain) prices (i.e. 160 kr for a tentsite vs 400 kr in the other camping). If you are on a bike or on foot, there is a nice well maintained track from Havslätts to the city center.
You can use the WiFi FREEWIFI_Oskarshamn free of charge two hours every day. The WiFi-zone covers most of central Oskarshamn. If you want to use the WiFi for more than 2 hours you can get a full day's access for a €1.5.