Oxapampa is a town in Peru.
Oxapampa is a city in the Pasco Region, 1814 meters above sea level. It is set on a fertile plain on the Río Huancabamba, a tributary of the Ucayali, 81 km from La Merced. A third of the inhabitants are descendants of a German-Austrian community of 70 families that settled in 1859 at Pozuzo, 80 km upstream, and spread later to Oxapampa.
Oxapampa can be reached by bus. Within Oxapampa, you can get around by mototaxi or by bus.
Bus from Lima
- Empresa de Transporte Lobato, 2101 – 2117 Av. 28 de Julio, La Victoria, ☎ .
- Turismo Oxabus E.I.R.L., 1575 Av. 28 de Julio, La Victoria, ☎ .
- Bio Westreicher (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa), ☎ . Small zoo with a colony of Australian emus. Serves food and drinks also.
- Catarata de Anana (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa, turn left at Huancabamba). Waterfall
- Catarata Rayantambo (Take the road north towards Pozuzo from Oxapampa, continue past Huancabamba). Waterfall
- Catarata Rio Tigre (Take the road towards La Merced (from Oxapampa) 14km and turn left at Canera). A waterfall with a pedestrian suspension bridge over the river.
- La Floralp (Take the road towards Chontabamba, a short distance past Puente Suarez). Cheese factory producing 21 varieties. There's a taste testing room overlooking the factory floor where you can see a short video about cheese making. You can also buy cheese here.
- Hacienda Yanachaga (Huancabamba (25 km from Oxapampa).). old Hacienda Yanachaga (now Prosoya).
- Iglesia de Santa Rosa. In the Plaza de Armas you can visit the Iglesia de Santa Rosa, an interesting church made of wood. Other houses can be seen in the city but aren't as well preserved as it is.
- Misión de Quillaz in Quillazú. A beautiful church from 1881, when friars established to evangelize the jungle natives.
- Native Community of Tsachopen (Going North of Oxapampa). They are "modern" but preserve their customes and labours. They make fine pottery and funny jewellery from plants seeds.
- Piscigranja (Take the road towards Chontabamba). Small trout farm, you can buy uncooked trout here. There's also a tame blue Macaw that flies around here called George. S/1.
- Pulgar Verde (Green Thumb), Las Palmeras. Orchid garden. Open every day.
- Tunqui Cueva (Take the road towards Chontabamba). A small cave.
- El Wharapo (5km SW of Oxapampa, the town of Chontabamba.). El Wharapo, established 1890 is famous for its drink made from sugar cane, Aguardiente. You can see the cane liquor being produced and you can buy 1 litre for S/10. Free Entry.
Selvamonos Music and Arts Festival of Oxapampa. A two-day music festival that takes place in late June/early July at the foot of Chemillen Yanachaga Park, a protected area of the Central Selva, and recognized as a biosphere reserve. A cultural week precedes the festival, and there are arts, design and environmental fairs.
- Fresh trout
- Cane liquor
In Oxapampa you can expect fresh organic products and tasty German pastries.
The Oxapampa Sour at Otto's Bar is a real experience. Aguardiente (cane liquor).
- Hospedaje Frey, Av. San Martin Cercado (A 1/2 Cdra. Grifo Joar) 105, ☎ . S/20-30 per person.
- Hostal Arias, Jr. Bolognesi 238, ☎ . S/20-30 per person.
- Café Hospedaje Ruffner, Jr Bolivar (1 cuadra de la Plaza de armas), ☎ . S/20-30 per person.
- Hostal Papaquell, Jr. Bolognesi 228, ☎ . S/20-30 per person.
- Hostal San Fernando, Jr. Tomas Schauz, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S/20-30 per person.
- Albergue Turístico Böttger, Jr. Mariscal Castilla 6ta Cdra., ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. S/40-60 per person.
- Hospedaje El Trapiche, Jr. Mullembruck 1ra. Cuadra (100 mt from the Estadio Municipal), ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S/40-60.
- Hospedaje Esperanza, Jr. Bolivar 756, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. S/40-60 per person.
- Hospedaje Frau Carolina Egg, Av. San Martín 1085, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S/40-60 per person.
- Hospedaje Loechle Sinty, San Martín Cdra. 12 (Psje. San Alberto 110), ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. S/40-60 per person.
- Hospedaje D' Palma Lodge, Final de la Prolongación Thomas Schauss, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S/50-70 per person.
- Hospedaje Don Calucho, Av. San Martin No. 411, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. S/40-60 per person.