Tarma is a town in Southern Sierra (more specifically, in the province of Tarma, in the department of Junin), Peru. Also known as Santa Ana de la Ribera de Tarma, the Pearl of the Andes and the City of Flowers.
A little over 3000 meters above sea level, Tarma has a lot to offer, ruins, caves, waterfalls and just a short distance to Jungle.
This page covers the town of Tarma and the surrounding towns in the province of the same name (Tarma). Tarma is the largest town in the province, however many of the smaller towns have facilities such as hostels and banks.
Towns in the province of Tarma;
Tarma, Huaricolca, Leticia, Acobamba, Palcamayo, San Pedro de Cajas, Huasahuasi, Palca, Tapo.
- Wilcashmarca. Ruins of buildings.
- 1 Yanamarca (Quechua for Black Town) (11° 20' 9 S 75° 41' 45 W). Chanca culture, ruins of a three-story building.
- Museo de la Cultura, Corner of Jr. Dos de Mayo and Jr. Arequipa. A great first stop as they'll give you an excellent map of Tarma and surrounding areas for free. Free entry and guided tour.
- Ancashmarca. Ruins.
- . In early March.
- Festival of Flowers. September
- Festival del Huayco tarmeño. November
- Plaza de Armas. Features a nice fountain and palms.
- Santa Ana Cathedral.
- Semana Santa. Easter, beautiful floral displays.
- 2 Tarmatambo (Collcas de Tarmatambo) (11º 28' 36 S 75º 41' 07 W). Stone buildings and terraces.
- 3 Pintish Machay (Guardianes de Mamahuari Huaricolca), Near Huaricolca, head towards Tarmatambo and keep going. (11° 32' 22 S 75° 39' 16 W). Cave featuring ancient paintings.
- Kutumarca. Ruins, round stone structure.
San Pedro de Cajas
- 4 Gruta de Huagapo (Quechua for Cavern that cries) (11º 16' 08 S 75º 47' 04 W). Possibly the largest cave in Peru. There are also ancient paintings here. About 27 km from Tarma just past the town of Palcamayo. Take the road towards Junin.
- Gruta de Pacupa Huain. Cave near San Pedro de Cajas.
- Santuario Nacional Pampa Hermosa. Tropical/subtropical jungle, waterfalls, Yungas. About 100 km from Tarma near San Ramon. Much closer to San Ramon than Tarma but San Ramon doesn't have a wikivoyage page yet.
- Laguna de Cocon. Heading east from Palcamayo there is a trail leading past the ruins of Llaumanpata and onto Laguna de Cocon, about 10 km each way.
- Go for a walk on the Camino del Inca. You can reach it directly from Tarma or Huasqui, until Tarmatambo. From there, cross the valley and go up to the crest to come back to Tarma, passing the cemetery. If you don't have time, reach the road and come back by collectivo.
- Go to Palcamayo (S/3.5, 45 min). Then to Gruta de Huagapo (cave, S/1 until the entrance and more to enter) by foot (45 min) or by car. 500m after the cave, a path on the right canon de Ushpo or valley of mystery and esoterism... A very nice walk through the rocks (30 min). You can come back the same way (easier), or turn right at the end, on a little path going up. You'll go very high and have nice views. It's not easy to find a path, try to stay high and you'll see it leading to the village (2-3 hr). Be careful, the last cars leave at 18:00 or 18:30.
- Los Mejorcito de Tarma, Av. Arequipa 501, ☏ .
- Salón Odria, Av. Ramón Castilla 512, ☏ .
- El Gallito De Oro, Jirón 2 De Mayo, 501, ☏ .
- El Pollo Stop, Avenida Ramón Castilla, 512, ☏ . Has a kids playground and outdoor eating area.
- Hot N' Tender, Jirón Lima, 730, ☏ . Chicken, chips, salad.
- Try the little cakes (S/1) of Panaderia Bahamas (Jr Huanuco, near from the market)
- Have a meal in the market Asuncion (S/3)
- Pachamanca earth oven baked meat and vegies.
- Picante de Cuy spicy Guinea Pig.
- Trucha Trout.
- Chicha de Jora
- Calientito hot tea with lemon and chacta (cane liquor).
- Aruba, Jirón Moquegua 452, ☏ . Hot water, private bathrooms, cable TV.
- El Dorado, Jirón Huánuco 488, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Continental breakfast, Internet, room service, hot water, private bathrooms, cable TV. These guys also have a good range of tours from S/30 to S/65.
- Bomberos, ☏ .
- Hospital Félix Mayorca Soto, Av. Pacheco 362, ☏ , .
- Serennazgo, ☏ .
- Policia Nacional del Peru, ☏ .
- Junin: Take the road about 75 km north west from Tarma, ascending around 1000 meters, passing Gruta de Huagapo on the way to Junin.
- La Merced (1hr 30min, S/7): Really amazing, the jungle in one hour!
- San Ramon (Peru): Take the road about 66 km north east from Tarma, descending over 2000 meters into the jungle, passing magnificent waterfalls on the way to San Ramon. San Ramon has an airstrip.