Origins of the name
Before the Second World War, a native of Batangas arrived to sell blankets and mosquito nets, in this place that was still then named “Tongotong”, a barrio of the Bangui municipality. Tired and hungry, the peddler sought sustenance and shelter in one of the houses nearby. After settling down, he was asked about his intentions, but, not understanding, he merely answered, “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,” in his usual Batangas accent. This reply became the byword of the residents of Tongotong. Months later, a native of the Bicol Region coming to seek employment in one of the local logging companies alighted in Tongotong and asked one of the bystanders the name of the place, to which he was toldː “Ako’y pagud na pagod at ang sapatos ko’y pudpod,”. The Bicolano thus ascribed the name Pagud-pudpod which was later shortened to Pagudpud (and supposedly means soft sandy soil) to the place which held for perpetuity.
You can fly into Laoag, and then take a two hour bus ride into Pagudpud.
- GV Florida Transport - Offers sleeper buses with built-in toilet going to/from Manila via Laoag.
- RCJ Bus Lines. Earnshaw cor Lacson St. Manila +63 2-7412994, +63 2-7819306
- GMW Buses to/from Laoag and to/from Tuguegarao.
- 1 Saud White Beach. Heart-shaped cove popular with both national and international tourists, movie producers, and travel writers with its emerald water and breathtaking views.
- 2 Bantay Abot Caves. Verdant seaside knoll that, on account of seismic and wave pressures, developed a tunnel that is frequented by swallows and the sea at times.
- 3 Timmangtang Rock. Timmangtang rock stands majestically a few meters away from Bantay Abot caves along the shoreline. You cannot separate Bantay Abot Cave from the Timmantang Rock for they are believed to be lovers, the former being the female and the latter the male. They are collectively termed as “Lover’s Rock”. This rock is bell-shaped, hence the name Timmantang and affords views of the calm blue sea.
- Nacatnagan Cliff. Cliff marked by virgin forest with rare ferns and wild orchids growing below. Some mountain climbing opportunities. From the top, you can glimpse panoramic views of Pasaleng Bay, Maira-ira Point, Sitio Gaoa, and even Babuyan Island on a clear day.
- 4 Malingay Cove (Blue Lagoon). Half-moon bay tucked away below Maira-ira Point with Nacatnagan Cliff to the east and Dos Hermanos in the north. Here thick forest meets crystal blue waters and fine white sand.
- 5 Dos Hermanos Islands. Sea stacks with caves noted for seaweed "gamet" harvesting and tropical fisheries.
- 6 Kabigan Falls (1.8 km south of AH26 via marked roadway.). Enchanting 80 ft (24 m) waterfall surrounded by thick forest and well-known for its concavity.
- Saguigui Falls. Small relatively unknown waterfall 3.5 kilometers away from the national highway.
- 7 Patapat Viaduct. Elevated viaduct hugging the cliff of the North Cordillera Mountain Range along the sea that is sometimes referred to as the “French Riviera of the North”. Along the expanse is Mabugabog Falls used for hydroelectric power.
- 8 Bolo River. Some kayaking opportunities around Dampig, Tarrag, and Poblacion 1.
- Agua Seda, Maira-ira Point, ☏ .
- Apo Idon Beach Hotel, Burayoc Point, ☏ , , .
- Evangeline Beach Resort, Burayoc Point, ☏ .
- Sunset View Beach Resort, Caparispisan, ☏ .
- Hannah's Beach Resort, Barangay Balaoi, ☏ .
- Jun & Carol Beach Resort, Burayoc Point, ☏ , , , .
- Kapuluan Vista Resort and Restaurant, Barangay Balaoi, ☏ , .
- 1 Maria Exaltacion Lodge, Sitio Del~Mar, Brgy. Saud. 8 multi-colored rooms; (6 m² wide, fully air-conditioned, with 2 double beds, cable TV, bathtub, heated shower, free Wi-Fi and back-up lighting generator. ₱1000-1500.
- Pannzian Beach and Mountain Resort, Barangay Pancian, ☏ .
- Punta Azul Beach Resort, Maira-ira Point, ☏ , .
- Britanya Lodge, Saud Beach, ☏ .
- Chalet Bami Guest House, Saud (near Municipal Beach Park), ☏ , .
- 2 Keahana Resort, Burayoc Point, ☏ .
- Madrid Beach Resort, Saud Cove, Burayoc, ☏ . Off and mid peak season rates: ₱800-2500.
- Napintas Vista, Saud beach, ☏ .
- Pagudpud Rinnovati, Burayoc Point, ☏ .
- Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex (Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex), Sito Jupiter, Saud. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Palm Grove Saud Holiday Complex and beach resorts close to famous Saud white sand beach in Saud, Pagudpud. US$25-40.
- Saud Beach Resort and Hotel, Burayoc Point, ☏ , .
- Terra Rika Beach and Dive Resort, Burayoc Point, ☏ , , , .
- Northridge Beach Resort, Saud beach., ☏ . Single/double with own bathroom and TV. ₱800..
|Routes through Pagudpud|
|Tuguegarao ← Santa Praxedes ←||E W||→ Bangui → Laoag|
- If you're interested in modern wind energy, the huge windmill parks of Bangui and Burgos can be a good stop. On the rugged coast of Burgos, there's also the Kapurpurawan Rock Formation.
- Bacarra is known for its Sinking Bell Tower. This Pisa-like leaning structure is part of the Bacarra Church, a National Historical Landmark. The Museo de Bacarra is of interest as well.