The district of Panimbang is in the regency of Pandeglang, about 50 km southwest of the regency capital Pandeglang. The district spreads along the Teluk Lada ("Pepper Bay"), with the peninsula of Tanjung Lesung in the western part, and the main town and villages mostly on the southeastern side of the bay. The small island Pulau Liwungan, with a dense forest and only one house on it, is in the middle of the bay. The region is well-known for its beaches, although because of its remoteness it is visited less than beaches more to the north, such as Anyer.
Panimbang is on the trunk road along the western coast, that runs from Cilegon via Anyer and Labuan to Panimbang, and further to the south coast. At the village of Citeureup in Panimbang district, the road splits, with a smaller road continuing to the Tanjung Lesung peninsula and to Ujung Kulon National Park. The easiest way to get to Panimbang from the capital Jakarta is by taking the Jakarta-Merak toll road until exit Serang Timur (East Serang). From there, the road leads via Pandeglang and Labuan to Panimbang. Without traffic, the drive from Jakarta takes about 3.5 hours. However, due to traffic congestion this is usually about 4.5 to 5 hours.
A new bus terminal has been developed in Panimbang in 2016. It serves mainly angkots (minivans) to nearby towns such as Labuan, and to the holiday resort of Tanjung Lesung peninsula.To get to Panimbang by public transport from Jakarta, take a bus from Kalideres bus terminal in West Jakarta to Labuan, and then change to a local angkot.
- 1 Pulau Liwungan (Liwungan island). Small island in the middle of Teluk Lada ("Pepper Bay"), great for swimming and snorkling. Resorts and homestays offer trips to the island from Tanjung Lesung, but it is also possible to charter a fishing boat from the harbour of Panimbang.
Although there a a few modern convenience stores, for most necessities you would need to go to the traditional market of Panimbang, or go to a larger town such as Pandeglang.
- 1 Pasar Panimbang (market of Panimbang), Jl. Raya Panimbang / Jl. Teluk Lada. Many shops and stalls, selling groceries, clothes, streetfood, etc.
- 1 Kampoeng Nelayan, Desa Tanjung Jaya Kp. Cipanon, ☏ . Mon-Fri 7:30-22:00, Sat-Sun 7:30-23:00. Seafood restaurant.
- 1 [dead link] Fahad Homestay (Pahad), Cipanon village, Jl. Raya Tanjung Lesung, ☏ . Small homestay (bed & breakfast). Double rooms from Rp250,000 (with airconditioning from Rp350,000).
- 2 Tanjung Lesung Hotel & Resort, Tanjung Lesung Kav R 14 A, ☏ . Luxurious holiday resort on the tip of the Tanjung Lesung peninsula. Bungalows from Rp1,200,000 per night.
- 3 BlueFish Hotel, Tanjung Lesung, ☏ . Smaller hotel at the beach on the Tanjung Lesung peninsula. Double rooms from Rp750,000 per night.
- Ujung Kulon National Park - about 30 km south of Panimbang, this area is known for its unique flora and fauna, including the Javan rhinoceros.