Cilegon is a city on the west coast of the province of Banten, in the Western Java region of Indonesia. It is a major industrial city, with especially a strong steel industry as well as several shipyards. The city is a regional economic centre for the western coast region, which includes the port of Merak to the north and the beach resort town of Anyer to the south.
Being mainly and industrial city, Cilegon itself is not very touristic. However, its location on the western coast of Java makes it a good stopover point in the middle between the national capital Jakarta, the tourist destinations to the south such as Anyer and Ujung Kulon National Park, and the island of Sumatra on the other side of the Sunda Strait.
Cilegon is along the major east-west toll road from Jakarta to Merak. The drive from Jakarta to Cilegon takes about 1.5 hour if there are no traffic jams, but usually it takes about 2.5 hours due to traffic congestion. There is also a trunk road to Cilegon along the coast to the south, to Anyer and Labuan.
The main bus terminal in Serang is 1 Seruni bus terminal, on the eastern side of the city near the toll road. There are highly frequent buses from and to most of the bus terminals in Jakarta and its satellite towns, to the city of Serang, and the port of Merak. In addition, there are some buses and minibuses to other towns and cities in the province, and buses to destinations further away such as Bandung and Central Java. There is also a direct bus from Jakarta's Soekarno-Hatta International Airport to the bus terminal in Cilegon, operated by DAMRI. During daytime, this bus runs once per hour. The drive from the airport to Serang takes about 2.5 hours, and the ticket price is Rp60,000.
2 Cilegon railway station is served a few times per day by trains between Merak and Jakarta. Taking a train is a quick option to and from nearby cities such as Rangkasbitung, Serang, and Merak. However, to and from Jakarta the train is relatively slow because of the detour via Rangkasbitung, and travelling by bus is usually faster.
- 1 [dead link]The Royale Krakatau Golf, Jl. K.H.Yassin Beji No. 4, ☎ . 18 holes golf course and driving range.
- 1 Mayofield Mall Cilegon (Supermall), Jl. Jenderal Sudirman. Daily 9:00-21:00. The largest shoping mall in Cilegon, with a range of shops, cafés, and restaurants.
- 1 Warung Gonjleng Hj. Wiwi (Nasi Gonjleng), Jl. R.A. Kartinin. Small restaurant selling 'nasi gonjleng', a typical fried rice dish from Cilegon. Also satay, soups, and roasted chicken and fish.
- 1 Amaris Hotel Cilegon, Jl. SA. Tirtayasa No.17, ☎ . Budget hotel near the railway station. Double rooms from Rp320,000 per night.
- 2 [dead link]The Royale Krakatau Hotel, Jl. K.H.Yassin Beji No. 4, ☎ . Large and luxurious hotel surrounded by the golf course. Swimming pool, fitness centre, karaoke, and several restaurants. Double rooms from Rp680,000 per night.
- Banten — the old capital of the Banten sultanate, with several historic attractions.
- Anyer — the most famous beach on the western coast of Java.
- Ujung Kulon — national park on the southwestern tip of Java, known for the Javan rhinoceros.
|Routes through Cilegon|
|END ← Anyer ←||W E||→ Banten → Panarukan|