Rangkasbitung is the capital of the regency of Lebak. While most of the regency consists of jungle and very small villages, the area in the north (including Rangkasbitung) is more urbanised, being only about 20 km west of the edge of the Greater Jakarta metropolitan area (although Rangkasbitung is about 80 km from Central Jakarta).
1 Rangkasbitung railway station is on the railway between Jakarta and the port of Merak in the west. The station is served by the green line of Jakarta's commuter train network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek), which runs from Tanah Abang in Central Jakarta, via South Tangerang. There are also six trains in the other direction, to Serang, Old Banten, Cilegon, and Merak.
Rangkasbitung is not connected to the toll road network. The easiest way to get to the city from Jakarta is by taking the Jakarta-Merak toll road until exit Balaraja Barat (West Balaraja). From there, take the trunk road south to the town of Cikuya, and from there west to Rangkasbitung. Without traffic, the drive from Jakarta takes less than two hours. However, due to traffic congestion this is usually up to 3 hours.
Rangkasbitung is served by the 2 Mandala bus terminal on the western side of the city. Buses connect Rangkasbitung to other cities in the province (including Serang, Merak, Pandeglang, Labuan and Tangerang), several bus terminals in Jakarta, as well as Bekasi and Bandung.
The area south of Rangkasbitung consists mainly of jungle with small villages. In this area also the Baduy people live. The Baduy are a traditional Sundanese community, that has not had much contact with the outside world, and does not use modern technology (although this may be starting to change). The villages in the centre of the Baduy area (Baduy Dalam or Inner Baduy) are off limits for outsiders (especially foreigners), but the surrounding area (Baduy Luar or Outer Baduy) can be visited. This however requires several hours of trekking. To get to the entrance of the Baduy area, take an elf (minibus) from the Mandala bus terminal or the railway station to the village of Ciboleger (about 2 hours, Rp20,000). It is also possible to visit the Baduy area by organised tour (this is usually a three-day tour), which includes pickup from your hotel in Rangkasbitung (or even from a hotel in Jakarta).
- 1 Rangkasbitung Indah Plaza (Rabinza), Jl. Rt Hardiwinangun. Daily 08:00-22:00. Shopping centre with a large supermarket and several other shops, banks, and cafés.
- 1 Rumah Makan Aqaba, Jl. Raya Pandeglang KM. 4, ☏ . Daily 08:00-21:00. Sundanese-style restaurant a bit out of town, with a beautiful garden.
- 1 Hotel Kharisma (Kharisma Jujuluk), Jl. Otista Raya, No. 58, ☏ . Simple hotel just outside of the city centre. Double rooms from Rp200,000 per night.
- Ujung Kulon — national park on the southwestern tip of Java, known for the Javan rhinoceros.
- Labuan — the nearest town on the western coast, with a fish market.