Tangerang is a city in the province of Banten, and part of the Jabodetabek Greater Jakarta metropolitan area, just west of the Indonesian capital Jakarta. With a population of over 2 million, Tangerang is mainly a commuter city for Jakarta. Although the city has a long history dating back to a 17th century Dutch colonial fortress, the vast majority of the city consists of extensive new housing developments. Jakarta's main international airport, Soekarno-Hatta, is in Tangerang. Just south of the city is the independent city of South Tangerang.
Like most parts of the Jakarta metropolitan area, the area is heavily traffic congested and disorderly, except in some modern housing developments that are maintained by private companies, such as Lippo Karawaci. While such areas have not been designed for tourism, but specifically for the residents, they include attractions such as shopping malls, restaurants, and golf courses. Similar developments, including the major BSD City, are in the neighbouring city of South Tangerang.
You can use a metered taxi to reach Tangerang from Jakarta. The cost for a taxi from Central Jakarta to Tangerang is approximately Rp.150,000. The trip will take 1 hour without traffic, but commonly up to 2 hours. It is recommended to order the taxi from one of the reputable taxi companies, such as Blue Bird or Express, because taxis hailed on the street may refuse to exit Jakarta and go to Tangerang. Taxis from Jakarta are not allowed to take any passengers from Tangerang to Jakarta.
The largest bus terminal in the city of Tangerang is 2 Poris Plawad bus terminal, located east of the city centre opposite Batuceper railway station. The terminal serves a wide range of highly frequent local buses and minibuses to and from destinations throughout Tangerang, Jakarta, and South Tangerang. Many of these buses nowadays have air conditioning, but they are far from comfortable. From Tangerang to Jakarta, the ticket price is about Rp7,000 to Rp10,000. Since 2016, Tangerang is also served by Transjakarta bus rapid transit services. From the Poris Plawad bus terminal, two lines are operated to Pasar Baru in Central Jakarta and to Senayan in South Jakarta, both via Kebon Jeruk (West Jakarta). The ticket price is Rp3,500.
In addition, there are regular buses to cities such as Bandung and Merak and daily long-distance buses to Central and East Java. There is also a wide range of bus routes available from the bus terminal at the airport.
Tangerang is served by the brown line of Jakarta's commuter train network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek). 3 Tangerang railway station in the city centre is the western terminus of this line. Other stations served within the city of Tangerang include Tanah Tinggi, Batuceper, and Poris. The eastern terminus of the brown line is Duri station in West Jakarta, where you can change to and from the yellow line to other parts of Jakarta as well as Bogor, and to long-distance trains to Merak. From the stations in Tangerang itself, long-distance trains are no longer operated.
The cheapest way to get around in Tangerang is, as in the other major Indonesian cities, by minibus (angkot). Angkots follow a fixed route (there are various routes throughout the city), but there is no fixed schedule and there are no fixed stops. To get on, simply raise your hand. To get off, simply shout "Kiri!" to the driver, so he will pull over on the left (Indonesian: kiri) side of the road. The price of an angkot ride within the city is usually about Rp2,000 to 5,000. It is best to ask a local which angkot route to take, and how to recognise the location you want to get off.
The easiest way to get around in Tangerang is by taxi. Taxi ranks are available outside the shopping malls and hotels. The main reputable taxi companies of Jakarta, including Blue Bird and Express, also have a branch in Tangerang. Premium taxis like Silverbird will offer you with better comfort and safety, but price is around 50% more expensive than regular taxis.
1 Benteng Heritage Museum, Jalan Cilame No. 18-20, Pasar Lama, Tangerang, ☎ . Closed on Mondays. Museum on the history of Chinese settlement in Tangerang and Indonesia, and the he importance of the voyages of Chinese admiral Zheng He in spreading Chinese heritage across (Southeast) Asia. The collection of the museum includes an ivory Mahyong game desk, opium weighing scale, Chinese-Indonesian batik, historic photos, etc. The museum building is an old house of Chinese immigrants in the old market district near the river. In Indonesia, the Chinese community of Tangerang is also called Tionghoa Benteng or "Fortress Chinese". In the 17th century, the Chinese settled in a fishing village near the Dutch colonial fortress of Tangerang. Hence also the name of the museum.
1 Cengkareng Golf Club (Soewarna), Taman Niaga Soewarna, Blok G, ☎ . 18-hole course just next to the airport, famed for the miniskirted Tangerang girls who go around offering refreshments, and with more of a focus on business schmoozing than playing. The green and caddy fee package will set you back Rp688,000 on weekdays, more during weekends and public holidays. There are discounted rates for members and guests of members.
- An additional golf course is in the planned community of Karawaci, and more are in neighbouring South Tangerang.
Many of the newest huge modern shopping malls have been built in the new planned communities such as Karawaci, and BSD City in South Tangerang. Duty free shopping is available at Soekarno-Hatta airport.
A wide range of restaurants is available in the various shopping malls and at the airport. This includes not only Indonesian fares but also Western-style fastfood, Chinese and Japanese food, etc.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Less than Rp500,000|
|Splurge||More than Rp1,000,000|
There are many hotels at and around the airport, see the article on Soekarno-Hatta International Airport for an overview. In addition, there are also some hotels in the new town development of Karawaci. The hotels listed below are in the city of Tangerang proper.
5 Santika Premier Bintaro, CBD Bintaro Jaya, Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio Blok B7/A3-01, Pondok Jaya, Pondok Aren, Pd. Jaya, Pd. Aren, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15224, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. A 4-star hotel in Bintaro Jaya area. Close to shopping malls, toll road, and food courts. Have swimming pool.
Local law enforcement cannot be relied on, so you may want to be even more cautious than you do in your hometown. If you are planning to draw your money in the ATM nearby (even in the mall) on Saturday, Sunday, and public holidays, make sure there's nobody wearing civilian uniforms welcomes you and pretends he will guard you. If you are trapped by his 'artificial' kindness, once you conduct your banking activities, he will call his crime-partner(s) outside to come in and pressure you to hand over your belongings. Some may kill you even after you do so. Be assured that the ATM machine you visit is camera monitored.
1 Polres Tangerang (Tangerang city police station), Jl. Raya Daan Mogot No.52, ☎ .
2 Polres Tangerang Selatan (South Tangerang Police Station), Jalan Boulevard Bintaro Jaya, Pondok Jaya, Pondok Aren, Pd. Pucung, Pd. Aren, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15220, ☎ .
List of hospital with 24 hours emergency room:
- RS Sari Asih Ciputat, Sasak Tinggi No. 3, Jalan Otista Raya, Ciputat, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15411. Tel.: +62 21 7410808
- RS Sari Asih Ciledug, Jl. HOS. Cokroaminoto No. 38, Sudimara Timur, Ciledug, Sudimara Tim., Ciledug, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15151. Tel.: +62 21 7333430
- RS Sari Asih Karawaci, Jl. Imam Bonjol No.38, Sukajadi, Karawaci, Kota Tangerang, Banten 15113. Tel.: +62 21 5522794
- Eka Hospital, Central Business District Lot. IX, BSD City serpong, Lengkong Gudang, Tangerang, Lengkong Gudang, Serpong, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15321. Tel.: +62 21 256 555 55
- RS Bethsaida, Jl. Boulevard Raya Gading Serpong Kav.29, Gading Serpong, Curug Sangereng, Klp. Dua, Tangerang, Banten 15810. Tel.: +62 21 2930 9999
- Omni Hospital, Jl. Alam Sutera Boulevard Kav. 25, Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15325. Tel.: +62 21 2977 9999
- RS Islam Asshobirin, Jl. Raya Serpong No.11, Pd. Jagung, Serpong Utara, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15326. Tel.: +62 21 5384314
- RS Syarif Hidayatullah, Jl. Ir. H Juanda No. 95, Pisangan, Ciputat Timur, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15419. Tel.: +62 21 74701989
- RS Bhinneka Bakti Husada, Jl. Cabe Raya No 17. Tel.: +62 21 749 3535, +62 21 749 0829.
- RS Honoris, Jl. Honoris boulevard Kav. 6 Kota Modern, Tel.: +62 21 522 9035.
- RS Siloam Gleneagles, Jl. Siloam 1600, Lippo Karawaci. Tel.: +62 21 546 0055, +62 21 546 0054.
- RS Premier Bintaro, Jl. MH. Thamrin blok B3 No.1 sektor 7 kawasan Niaga Bintaro, Tel.: +62 21 745 5600.
- RSUD Tangerang, Jl. A. Yani No.9, Tangerang, Tel.: +62 21 552 3507, +62 21 552 6686.
RS Awal Bros, Jl. MH. Thamrin, Kebon Nanas, Cikokol Tangerang 15117, fax: . Previously known as Rumah Sakit Global Medika, the hospital rebrand itself to a new name.
- Anyer — beautiful beach and resort, west of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 3 hours.
- Ujung Kulon — beautiful national park, southwest of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 5 hours.
- Tanjung Pasir — beach swarming with seafood stalls. Be careful of local hustlers and gangs. North of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 2 hrs.
|Routes through Tangerang|
|Anyer ← Serang ←||W E||→ West Jakarta → Panarukan|