Tangerang is a satellite city of Jakarta in West Java, Indonesia. The head of government in the city of Tangerang is a mayor ("walikota"). There are 5 sub-districts ("kecamatan") in the city of Tangerang: Tangerang (postal code 1511X), Batuceper (15121, 15122, 15127-15129), Benda (15123-15126), Jatiuwung (1513X), Cipondoh (1514X), Ciledug (1515X).
The population of the city of Tangerang is 1,488,666 people. The area is 165 sq. km. The population density is 9047 people/sq. km.
Tangerang Regency/"Kabupaten Tangerang", is the suburbs of Tangerang. The head of government is a regent ("bupati"). There are 26 districts/"Kecamatan" on Tangerang regency.
The population of the Tangerang residency is 3,080,237 people. The area is 1,110 sq. km. The population density is 2775 people/sq. km.
Like most parts of Jakarta, the area is heavily traffic congested and disorderly, except in Bumi Serpong Damai (BSD) and Lippo Karawaci areas, which are maintained by private companies. Few people visit these areas other than for business and missionary activities, which are conducted by most expats residing in this satellite city. These areas were developed expressly for commercial and residential purposes, not for tourism. The most tourist-drawing spot may be found in Ocean Park.
Soekarno Hatta International Airport, Benda, Tangerang. Pondok Cabe airport is a small airport used by Police, small airplanes, skydiving, gliders and aerosport. If you charter helicopter or small plane, you can request (in advance) for permission to land on the Pondok Cabe airport. The small Budiarto airport at Curug, Tangerang Regency, is used for pilot training (Curug aviation school).
You can use metered taxi to reach Tangerang from Jakarta. The cost is approx. US$ 9 - 10. The trip will take up to 2 hours. It's better to order the taxi from the taxi companies because most taxi drivers refuse to go to Tangerang. Taxis from Jakarta are not allowed to take any passengers from Tangerang to Jakarta.
- Many busses with aircond from Jakarta to Tangerang served by Mayasari Bakti such as P-62, P-133 (from Jalan Jendral Sudirman, Jakarta). The fare is Rp. 6,500 (US$ 0.7), but it's far from comfort.
- Executive busses are also available from/to Jakarta-Bumi Serpong Damai with several destinations in Jakarta: Pasar Baru, Ratu Plaza, and Mangga Dua, fare is Rp. 11,000 (US$ 1.2) per trip. In Bumi Serpong Damai there are some bus stops: Kolam Renang (Swimming Pool) BSD, Al Azhar School and Kantor Pemasaran (Marketing Office) BSD. While the bus stops in Jakarta are Pasar Baru (Gedung Kesenian Jakarta) bus stop, Harmoni bus stop, Ratu Plaza bus stop, Mangga Dua bus stop, etc.
Train to reach Tangerang are available from train stations of Gambir, Manggarai, Sudirman and Tanahabang. For luxury air conditioned trains, the fare is Rp. 7,500 - 8,000. They have two destinations to Tangerang: to BSD/Serpong: the train's name is Sudirman Express (from manggarai, Sudirman and Tanahabang Stations)
- to Tangerang are Benteng Express (from Gambir Station), Cisadane Express (from Manggarai, Sudirman and Tanahabang Stations))
Bluebird taxi is available by phone 24 hours. Considered one of the safest by tourists and locals in all bigger Jabodetabek region (Jakarta Bogor Depok Tangerang Bekasi). Depending on the departure place in Jakarta and destination in Tangerang City or Serpong area, the fare will be around Rp. 100,000 - Rp. 150,000. Some other safety taxis are Transcab and Express Taxi.
Premium taxis like Silverbird will offer you with better comfort and safety, but price is around 50% more expensive than regular taxis mentioned above.
- Benteng Heritage Museum. Benteng means fotress, but it is about Chinese (Cina) Benteng which about Chinese male married with native Indonesian, so the children are called 'Cina Peranakan'. Most of the Cina Peranakan then married also with native Indonesian, so most of the Cina Benteng nowadays are rather difficult to differentiate with other native Indonesia by its posture or skin, but they are still celebrate Imlek (Chinese New Year). The museum covers all of this and also display Mahyong (game) desk from ivory, opium scale weighing, batik Cina Peranakan, photos from the past, etc. The museum is an old China Peranakan house in Tangerang Old Market near Cisadane River.
- Taman Kota 1 (City Park 1), BSD City (Near Al Azhar School). 06.00-17.00. Fair jogging track, well lit and safe. Free.
- Pondok Cabe Country Club, Jl. Cabe Raya, Pondok Cabe, Pamulang, Tangerang, ☎ . approx. US$ 10/person.
- Soewarna Golf Club, Taman Niaga Soewarna, Blok G, ☎ . 18-hole course just next to the airport, famed for the miniskirted Tangerang Girls who go around offering refreshments, and with more of a focus on business schmoozing than playing. Open to the general public on weekdays only, when a green and caddy fee package will set you back Rp240,000. On weekends you'll need an invitation from a member and will still have to cough up a whopping Rp550,000.
- Pondok Cabe GolfPondok Cabe Golf, Jl. Pondok Cabe Raya, Jakarta 15418, ☎ .
- Modern Golf and Country Club, Modernland Real Estate.
- Damai Indah Golf, Bumi Serpong Damai.
- Imperial Klub Golf, Lippo Karawaci, ☎ .
- Gading Raya Padang Golf & Klub, Summarecon Serpong. Seventy five Hectares of 18 holes private golf course, tennis, and a swimming pool.
- Ocean Park, Jl. Raya Serpong, right behind seven stories tall German Center building. Claiming to be the biggest water adventure park in Southeast Asia, it started being operational recently. Admission fee Rp. 30,000/person.
- BSD Junction, BSD City, Serpong, Tangerang Regency. Facility: dining and cafes
- BSD Plaza, BSD City. A small shopping mall with Superindo supermarket, Tamani Cafe, A&W Restaurant, 21 Cineplex, and Holland Bakery.
- Serpong Plaza, Serpong. Shopping mall, restaurant.
- D'best, Cikokol. You can find Carrefour, French retail chain department store.
- Giant Supermarket, Serpong. Facility: supermarket.
- ITC BSD, BSD City. Another Carrefour, small boutique shops, Citibank ATM, and Food Court with tenants like Hoka Hoka Bento, KFC, A&W outlet, Bakmi Gang Kelinci.
- CBD Ciledug, Ciledug. The latest Carrefour hyperstore opened in Tangerang.
- Metropolis Town Square, Cikokol. Facility: supermarket and 21 Cineplex.
- Lippo Supermall Karawaci, Karawaci Tangerang. Facility: bowling, amusement park. One of the largest mall in Indonesia.
- Serpong Town Square (SeToS) , Cikokol. Facility: Giant Hypermarket, Electronic Solution, Sportware House,Kid'z Zone, SeToS Wargames simulation, Function Room, ATM Center, KFC, Fast food. Marcopolo Serpong Water Adventure Park. Apartment, Office Tower etc.
- Summarecon Mal Serpong (SMS), Jl. Boulevard Gading Serpong - Sentra Gading Serpong, Tangerang. Facility: Farmer's Market, Downtown Walk (series of food outlets placed outdoor), first Cinema XXI in Tangerang, Food Temptation (food outlets placed indoor), BreadTalk, J.Co, Wendy's, Giordano, Timezone, and Gramedia book store.
- WTC Matahari, Serpong. Facility: 21 Cineplex, Hypermart supermarket, and Matahari department store.
Duty Free Shops
- Dewata Agung Wibawa, Bandara International Soekarno Hatta Duty Free Shop Terminal D & E, Jakarta 15126, Tel.: +62 21 559 0338, +62 21 559 0916.
- Dewita Indah Prima, Bandara International Soekarno Hatta Terminal 2D Departure area, Jakarta 15126, Tel.: +62 21 550 0409, +62 21 550 3088.
- Dian Suksestama, ☎ . Bandara International Soekarno Hatta Terminal D-E Transit Lounge, Jakarta 15125.
- Plaza Bali Duty Free. Bandara International Soekarno Hatta Departure Terminal.
- Rodamas Wirasakti, ☎ . Bandara International Soekarno Hatta Ged ACS, Jakarta 15125.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, Serpong Town Square, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Km. 7 No. 2-3. Tel.: +62 21 55743592. Lippo Supermal, Lantai dasar. Tel.: +62 21 5462377. Mahkota Mas, Jl. M.H. Thamrin Kav 4, Tel.: +62 21 5543255. American fast food. Menu: fried chicken, chicken burger, fries. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Pizza Hut (the franchise), Jl. Daan Mogot (in front of Polres Tangerang/Police Station). approx. US$ 8/Large Pan.
- Goiza, Supermall Karawaci, Ground Floor, Lippo Karawaci, ☎ . Japanese restaurant. Menu: teriyaki, shabu-shabu, katsu, udon. approx. US$ 6/person.
- Hoka Hoka Bento, Lippo Supermall Karawaci, Tel.: +62 21 546 2323. Giant Villa Melati Mas, Tel.: +62 21 538 4634. Menu: ekkado, chicken katsu, sukiyaki, soup, koori kon nyaku, yakiniku, shrimp roll, tori no teba. Price: approx. US$ 4/person.
- Bakmi Bebe, Pasar Modern BSD, Ruko R73, ☎ . Open Daily. Mon-Fri: 06.00-15.00. Sat-Sun: 06.00-17.00. Chinese Noodle Restaurant. Menu: BBQ Pork Ribs Noodle, Various Pork Noodle, Chicken Noodle. approx. US$ 2/person.
- Bakmi Gang Kelinci, ITC Bumi Serpong Damai Lt. 2, ☎ .
- Pondok Kemangi, Jl. Raya Serpong km.4 Ruko Pondok Kemangi No. 2E-2F (after Alam Sutra housing complex), Tangerang. Tel: +62 21-53127102. Seafood restaurant. Price: approx. US$ 5/person. Service hours: 11.00 - 15.00; 18.00 - 22.00.
- Sari Kuring, BSD Ruko Sektor IV Block RG/1, Tangerang. Telp: +62 21 537 2041, Fax.: +62 21 537 1150. Sundanese seafood restaurant. Menu: gurame fish, keong kaker, prawn, crab, salad, soup. Price: approx. US$ 7/person.
- Lembur Kuring, Jl. Benda Raya 88, ☎ , fax: +62 21 550 3748. Sundanese seafood restaurant.Menu: fish, prawn, crab, soup, salad. Opening hours: 11AM to 09.30PM. approx. US$ 7/person.
- Sarang Kepiting (literally translates to Crab Lair), Jl. Raya Serpong (approx. 500 Metres to the south of Alam Sutera Real Estate entrance). approx. US$ 5/Person.
- Restoran Istana Nelayan (Fisherman), Jl. MH. Thamrin (In the Serpong Townsquare area), ☎ . Menu: seafood, steak and sundanese. Chic garden, pony ride, mini zoo. The main building took the form of a yacht.
Many restaurants are available at "Soekarno Hatta Airport" at Benda, Tangerang: McDonald, A&W, Dunkin Donuts, Hoka-Hoka Bento etc.
- Pisa Kafe, Menara Matahari Ground Floor, Jl. Boulevard Palem Raya no 7, Bencongan Village - Curug, ☎ . Menu: Italian foods, ice creams. Entertainment: Bar & live music at around 9:30PM everyday. approx. US$ 8/person.
- Tamani Kafe, BSD Plaza, Jl. Raya Serpong, Sektor 4, ☎ . International restaurant. Menu: chicken cordon blue, egg and tofu, soup, salad, onion ring. approx. US$ 8/person.
- Salsa Food City, Next to Summarecon Mal Serpong. Menu: A lot of restaurants here, ranging from Sundanese, Chinese, Makassar, and Western. Entertainment: Live music almost everyday, be sure to catch them on weekends when they perform full band.
Ice Cream and Pastry
- Baskin and Robbins, Lippo Karawaci Mall, 105 Boulevard Diponegoro Lippo Karawaci 1200, Tangerang 15811, ☎ . Ice cream parlor.
- Pisa Kafe, Menara Matahari Ground Floor, Jl. Boulevard Palem Raya no 7, Bencongan Village - Curug, ☎ . Menu: Italian foods, ice creams, a range of cocktails. Entertainment: Bar & live music at around 9:30PM everyday. approx. US$ 8/person.
- Kinari Residence, Jl. Pare 1 Blok G1 NO. 12. BSD City, ☎ . , Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 12PM. Kinari Residence is the only furnished apartment which can be rented daily in BSD City. The one bedroom apartment has a bathroom and kitchen. A cable TV, free Wi-Fi, AC, water heater, refrigerator, gas stove, and kitchen utensils are available inside the apartment. Rp. 350,000.
- Quality Inn, Soekarno Hatta International Airport, Tangerang, Banten, Terminal 2E, ☎ . Class: 3 Stars.
- Hotel Istana Nelayan, Jl. Gatot Subroto No. 21 Km. 5 Jatiuwung - Exit TOL Bitung Tangerang 15134 Banten - Indonesia, ☎ .
- Hotel Aryaduta Lippo Village, 401 Boulevard Jend. Sudirman, Lippo Village, ☎ . 30 minutes away from the Soekarno Hatta International Airport.
- Sheraton Bandara, Soekarno-Hatta Airport, Tangerang 19110, ☎ , fax: +62 21 559 7700. Class: 4 Stars.
- Imperial Aryaduta Hotel and Country Club, 401 Bulevar Jend. Sudirman Lippo Karwaci 1300, Tangerang 15811, Banten (Around the vicinity of Lippo Supermall), ☎ , fax: +62 21 546 0203. 5 Stars
Local law enforcement cannot be relied on, so you may want to be even more cautious than you do in your hometown. Here is some of the most common crimes reported in Tangerang
If you are planning to draw your money in the ATM nearby (even in the mall) on Saturday, Sunday, and public holidays, make sure there's nobody wearing civilian uniforms welcomes you and pretends he will guard you. If you are trapped by his 'artificial' kindness, once you conduct your banking activities, he will call his crime-partner(s) outside to come in and pressure you to hand over your belongings. Some may kill you even after you do so. Be assured that the ATM machine you visit is camera monitored.
- Anyer, beautiful beach and resort, west of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 3 hours.
- Ujung Kulon, beautiful national park, southwest of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 5 hours.
- Tanjung Pasir, beach swarming with seafood stalls. Be careful of local hustlers and gangs. North of Tangerang. Driving time: up to 2 hrs.
Tangerang Police station (Polres): Polres Tangerang, Jl. Raya Daan Mogot, Tel.:+62 21 552-3160, +62 21 552-3003.
List of hospital with 24 hours emergency room:
- RS Bhinneka Bakti Husada, Jl. Cabe Raya No 17. Tel.: +62 21 749 3535, +62 21 749 0829.
- RS Honoris, Jl. Honoris boulevard Kav. 6 Kota Modern, Tel.: +62 21 522 9035.
- RS Siloam Gleneagles, Jl. Siloam 1600, Lippo Karawaci. Tel.: +62 21 546 0055, +62 21 546 0054.
- RS Bintaro, Jl. MH. Thamrin blok B3 No.1 sektor 7 kawasan Niaga Bintaro, Tel.: +62 21 745 5600.
- RS Tangerang, Jl. A. Yani No.9, Tangerang, Tel.: +62 21 552 3507, +62 21 552 6686.
- RS Awal Bros, Jl. MH. Thamrin, Kebon Nanas, Cikokol Tangerang 15117, fax: +62 21 5578 1520. Previously known as Rumah Sakit Global Medika, the hospital rebrand itself to a new name.