South Tangerang (Tangerang Selatan) is a city in the province of Banten, and part of the Jabodetabek Greater Jakarta metropolitan area. South Tangerang is not a city in the traditional sense, but is a densely populated urban area consisting of several towns and Jakarta suburbs, that together became an independent city in 2008, when it was separated from the regency of Tangerang. The independent city of Tangerang is just north of South Tangerang. The total population of South Tangerang is about 1.5 million, with key population centres including Serpong, Ciputat, and Pamulang. Also the large privately-operated planned community BSD City is in the city.
As housing in Jakarta becomes unaffordable and a rare commodity due to limited spaces to even build one proper house, South Tangerang becomes a good alternative for those who are working in the capital city without spending too much on housing and don't mind a longer commute than those who live in the centre. Several shopping malls, restaurants, and working spaces, mostly maintained by private companies, are built to accommodate and fulfil the needs of its residents without commuting far to Jakarta and also as the answer to reduce traffic jam, especially during rush hours and weekends.
South Tangerang is a collection of several towns, planned communities and Jakarta suburbs, and therefore there is not one clear city centre or transportation hub. The main road into the city is the Jakarta-Serpong toll road, which connects the Jakarta Outer Ring Road in South Jakarta to among others the Bintaro Jaya new town and BSD City. The Jakarta-Tangerang toll road passes just north of South Tangerang, and is a good way to get to the North Serpong district. To get to the southern part of the city, a trunk road leads from the Jakarta Outer Ring Road at Lebak Bulus to the districts of Ciputat and Pamulang (this road is numbered as National Road 12, but there are no signposts indicating this).
- 1 Pondok Cabe Airport (PCB IATA) (in the southeast of South Tangerang, in Pamulang district). The small airport is only served by a few charter flights, but that is expected to change by the end of 2016. Garuda Indonesia plans to start flights to cities in Central Java, Sumatra, and Kalimantan. No exact start date has been announced yet.
The main international airport of Jakarta, Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (CGK IATA), is about 25 km north of South Tangerang. The driving time is less than an hour if there is no traffic congestion, but it is not uncommon that this takes much longer (more than 2 hours).
There are various bus lines from and to locations throughout Tangerang and Jakarta. In addition, many long distance bus services to destinations throughout Java and beyond are available to and from the nearby Lebak Bulus bus terminal in South Jakarta.
Since 2016 South Tangerang is also served by two Transjakarta bus rapid transit routes. One of them runs from Tosari in Central Jakarta to BSD City, the other one from Central Jakarta via South Jakarta and Lebak Bulus terminal to Ciputat.
There are five railway stations in South Tangerang along the railway between Jakarta and Merak, which runs parallel to the Jakarta-Serpong toll road. All five stations are served by the green line of Jakarta's commuter train network (KA Commuter Jabodetabek), which runs from Tanah Abang in Central Jakarta via South Tangerang to Rangkasbitung station in Lebak regency of Banten province. The largest station in the city is 2 Serpong railway station.
There are dozens of minibus (angkot) routes throughout South Tangerang, with many of them connecting to Tangerang, Jakarta, or Depok. Angkots follow a fixed route, but there is no fixed schedule and there are no fixed stops. To get on, simply raise your hand. To get off, simply shout "Kiri!" to the driver, so he will pull over on the left (Indonesian: kiri) side of the road. The price of an angkot ride within the city is usually about Rp2,000 to 5,000. It is best to ask a local which angkot route to take, and how to recognise the location you want to get off.
The easiest way to get around in South Tangerang is by taxi. Taxi ranks are available outside the shopping malls and hotels. The main reputable taxi companies of Jakarta, including Blue Bird and Express, also have a branch in South Tangerang.
- 1 Taman Kota 1 ("1st City Park"), Jalan Letnan Sutopo, BSD City (near Al Azhar School). 5:30-18:00. Nice public park with a fair jogging track, well lit and safe.
- 2 [dead link] Pondok Cabe Golf & Country Club, Jl. Cabe Raya,Pamulang, ☏ . Tue-Sun 5:00-17:30. Green and caddy fee Rp.250,000 weekdays, Rp.575,000 weekends, for 18 holes.
- 3 Gading Raya Padang Golf & Club, Jl. Bulevar Gading Golf, Gading Serpong, ☏ . Open to visitors only Tue-Fri. 75 hectares private 18 holes golf course, tennis, and a swimming pool. Visitor fee Rp.685,000.
- 4 Ocean Park BSD, Jl. Pahlawan Seribu, BSD City, ☏ . Mon-Fri 11:00-19:00, Sat-Sun 8:00-19:00. Huge water adventure park with various water slides. weekdays Rp.50,000, weekends Rp.90,000.
There are several shopping malls in South Tangerang. Most of them are in the new town of BSD City.
- 1 AEON Mall BSD City, Jalan BSD Raya Utama, Sampora. M-F 10:00-21:00, Sa-Su 10:00-22:00. A chic mall with a heavy presence of Japanese tenants including the namesake department store. There are three food courts in which two of them are specifically cater to Japanese cuisine. Look out for assorted sushi that is sold by the piece in the department store. Parking is very user-friendly for Indonesian standards, especially for the disabled.
- 2 Bintaro Jaya Xchange Mall, Boulevard Bintaro Jaya Blok. O-2, Bintaro Jaya Sektor VII, Pondok Jaya, Pondok Aren, Tangerang, 15227, ☏ . Daily 10AM-10PM. One of the best malls the region can offer. Has a spacious green area, jogging track, ice ring and fish pond.
- 3 BSD Junction, Jl. Pahlawan Seribu, BSD City. Daily 8:00-21:00. Shopping mall in the centre of BSD City.
- 4 ITC BSD, Jl. Pahlawan Seribu, BSD City (opposite BSD Junction). Shopping mall with among others a Carrefour supermarket, boutique shops, and a food court.
- 5 Summarecon Mal Serpong (SMS), Jl. Boulevard Gading Serpong. Daily 10:00-22:00. A farmer's market, "downtown walk" outdoor food outlets, XXI cinema, and a variety of shops.
- Bakmi Bebe, Pasar Modern BSD, Ruko R73, ☏ . Open Daily. Mon-Fri: 06.00-15.00. Sat-Sun: 06.00-17.00. Chinese Noodle Restaurant. Menu: BBQ Pork Ribs Noodle, Various Pork Noodle, Chicken Noodle. approx. Rp50,000.
- 1 Hotel Mercure Serpong Alam Sutera, Jalan Alam Sutera Boulevard Kav. 23, Serpong, ☏ . 3-star hotel in Alam Sutera Serpong, stylish room and close to entertainment area near Serpong.
- 2 Hotel Santika Premiere Bintaro, CBD Bintaro Jaya, Jl. Prof. Dr. Satrio Blok B7/A3-01, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A 4-star luxury hotel in the centre of the Bintaro town. Close to shopping malls, toll road, and food courts. Have swimming pool. Double rooms from Rp.660,000 per night.
- 3 Kinari Residence, Jalan Pare Raya 1 blok G1 no.12, BSD City, ☏ . Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 12PM. Kinari Residence is the only furnished apartment which can be rented daily in BSD City. The one bedroom apartment has a bathroom and kitchen. A cable TV, free Wi-Fi, AC, water heater, refrigerator, gas stove, and kitchen utensils are available inside the apartment. Double rooms from Rp.398,000 per night.
- 4 POP! Hotel BSD City, Sunburst CBD Lot II No. 18A BSD City, Serpong, Tangerang 15321, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Budget hotel with fresh layout, near to BSD City area.
- 1 Polres Tangerang Selatan (South Tangerang Police Station), Jalan Boulevard Bintaro Jaya, Pondok Jaya, Pondok Aren, Pd. Pucung, Pd. Aren, Kota Tangerang Selatan, Banten 15220, ☏ .