Papillion is a small town in Sarpy County, Nebraska, just southwest of Omaha and west of the Missouri river. The City of Papillion (French, for the word butterfly) was founded in 1870. Legend has it that Frenchmen visited the broad valley where Papillion is now located, finding it overgrown with luxuriant grasses and multitudes of wild flowers. Swarms of butterflies flitted about in the sunlight and enthralled by the beautiful sight, one member exclaimed, "Papillion!"
The best roads that lead into Papillion are the Kennedy Freeway, Cornhusker Road, and Highway 370.
There are numerous roads that will lead you around Papillion. 84th street which turns in to Washington as it goes through downtown will bring you to the center of Papillion. Other streets take you through newer parts of the city: 72nd Street which goes north/south, and Cornhusker which goes east/west.
- Bellevue Berry Farm and Pumpkin Ranch, 11001 S. 48th St.
- Walnut Creek Lake and Recreation Area (I-80 Exit 439, E. 5 mi. S. 1 mi. W. 3/4 mi).
- Papio Fun Park, 210 E. Lincoln St.
- Papio Bay Aquatic Center, 815 E. Halleck St.
- 1860 John Sautter House and 1890 Portal "One-Room" School, 232 & 242 N. Jefferson St (south of City Hall).
- Eagle Hills Golf Course, ☏ . Challenging 18 hole, 6500 yard facility opened in 2000.
- Tara Hills Golf Course, ☏ . Challenging 18 hole, 6100 yard facility opened in 1993.
- Concerts in the Park. The City of Papillion offers concerts in the park throughout the summer months. All concerts are held at City Park on 84th & Lincoln Streets, beginning at 7PM every Sunday night.
- Papillion Days. Held every summer, this small town fair resonates of old fashioned family fun
- Omaha Storm Chasers, 12356 Ballpark Way, ☏ . Named for Omaha, but located in Papillion, the local Triple-A Pacific Coast League minor league baseball team plays at 1 Werner Park. From $9 to $30.
- Shadow Lake Towne Center. This 880,000 square foot complex is one of the largest shopping centers in the metro area. Complex includes over 20 stores such as American Eagle Outfitters, C.J. Banks, Christoper and Banks, Justice, Old Navy, Pacific Sunwear, T.J. Maxx, Gordmans, JCPenny, HyVee, Bed Bath and Beyond, World Market, Old Chicago Restaurant, Red Robin, Best Buy, Petsmart, Victoria's Secret, Texas Roadhouse, Borders, Claires and Lane Bryant.
- Market Point. 550,000 square foot complex includes Wal-Mart, Kohl's and Lowe's
- Twin Creek Shopping Area. Includes shops such as Nobbies, Target, Bakers, and tons of restaurants.
- Ming's. Chinese cuisine American style
- La Mesa. Papillion location of the #1 rated Mexican chain in Omaha
- Bull Feathers.
- Liberty Lodge Motel, 1409 E Gold Coast Rd, ☏ .