Eastern Nebraska is the most populated region in Nebraska, home to over three-quarters of the state's population. The metropolitan areas of Omaha and Lincoln alone are home to half of the state's total population.
The region can be roughly defined as anything east of NE-14, which sits midway between US Highway 281 and US Highway 81.
- 1 Omaha - the largest city in the state
- 2 Ashland
- 3 Bellevue
- 4 Papillion
- 5 Fremont
- 6 Lincoln - the state capital
- 7 Norfolk
- 8 Columbus
- 9 York
- 1 Antelope County
- 2 Ashfall Fossil Bed State Historical Park - a large fossil site located in near the town of Royal in Antelope County.
- 3 Fontenelle Forest - 1,400 acres (570 hectares) of forest and wetlands on the banks of the Missouri river near Bellevue.
- 4 Eugene T. Mahoney State Park - state park near Ashland with plenty of outdoor activities and hiking trails.
- 5 Indian Cave State Park - 3,400 acres (1,400 hectares) of wilderness, historical buildings, and a cave featuring prehistoric petroglyphs.
Rolling hills, dense forests, and countless rivers and streams make up the eastern third of the state. Given Nebraska's reputation for being flat and treeless, this can surprise visitors.
- 1 Omaha Eppley Airfield (OMA IATA), 4501 Abbott Dr (northeast of downtown Omaha), ☏ +1 402-661-8017. A domestic airport servicing the continental U.S. No international flights. On-site car rental services and taxi services available. This is the largest airport in the state and the landing site for almost all out-of-state flights.
- 2 Lincoln Municipal Airport (LNK IATA), 2400 W Adams St (take exit 399 off I-80 and head west), ☏ +1 402-458-2480, email@example.com. A smaller airport offering flights from Denver, Chicago, and Minneapolis. It is the second largest airport in the state.
Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is a nationally renowned zoo in Omaha. It is Nebraska's number one paid attraction.
The Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum near Ashland is dedicated to the advancement in aircraft and spacecraft during the Cold War.
The Nebraska State Capitol in Lincoln is home to Nebraska's unicameral state legislature.