Norfolk is a city in Eastern Nebraska with a population of 24,500 in 2019.
Norfolk is located in Northeast Nebraska in Madison County in the Elkhorn River Valley.
Norfolk is the economic center for an area encompassing six counties. Basic economic activities of Norfolk are manufacturing, farming (both livestock and grain), education, retailing, and wholesaling. Norfolk is the major retail trade center for Northeast Nebraska.
Norfolk is located at the intersection of US Highway 275 and US Highway 81, both of which go through the town. Nebraska Highways 35 and 24 also lead to the town. Driving into the town is the easiest way to get there.
- 1 Allied Tour & Travel Bus Stop, 720 E Norfolk Ave (at the intersection of Norfolk Ave and S Chestnut St), ☏ , toll-free: . 7:45AM-5PM. Serviced by Greyhound and Express Arrow. A simple pick-up/drop-off point in the parking lot of a travel agency. About 1/3 of a mile (500 m) east of a gas station/convenience store.
A regional airport is south of the city, off US Highway 81.
- 2 Norfolk Regional Airport (OFK IATA), 4100 South 13 St (take US-81 and turn west on S 13th St), ☏ , email@example.com. Also known as Karl Stefan Memorial Field. Linear Air operates flights from Denver International (DEN IATA) as an air taxi service.
The city is laid out in a grid-like pattern. Numbered streets go north-south, which increase as they go further west, and named streets go east-west. This holds true until 1st St. East of 1st, both types of roads become named. This is only a small area of the city and should not pose too much of a problem for visitors. The downtown region is along Norfolk Ave between 1st and 7th Street.
While public transportation is available, it is much easier to drive around the city.
- North Fork Area Transit, 307 W. Prospect, ☏ . M-F 6AM-6PM, Sa 6:30AM-6PM, Su 6:30AM-3:30PM. Rides must be schedules 24 hours in advanced M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM. A simple service helping people get around town. Operates up to 30 miles outside of the city limits. Handicap accessible buses. $2.50 adult, $2 children and seniors.
- 1 Elkhorn Valley Museum, 515 Queen City Blvd (from Norfolk Ave, turn north on 7th St, it'll be on the left), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. W-F 11AM-3PM, Sa 11AM-4PM. Closed for renovations, will reopen June 2021. Local museum focusing on the history of the town and the surrounding region. Hosts an entire exhibit on the late great Johnny Carson, who grew up in the town. Verges Park, located directly behind, is owned by the museum and has three historic buildings, including a cabin constructed in the 1860s. The Lueshen Bird Library hosts a huge collection of books relating to ornithology and the study of nature. A children's zone as well. $6 adult, $3 children, $5 senior.
- 2 Norfolk Arts Center, 305 North 5th St (turn west off US-81 onto W Norfolk Ave, turn left onto 5th St), ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-2PM. A community art center. Showcasing art by local artists and creators. Hosts events as well. Call in advance to schedule a tour. Free admission. Donations welcomed.
- 1 Ta-Ha-Zouka Park, 2201 S 13th St (along S 13th St/US-81 south of town, turn east on Ta Ha Zouka Rd), ☏ . April 15-Oct 15 during daylight hours. Named after the Omaha word for Elk's Horn, this 180 acre park offers multiple activities. Softball, sand volleyball, and disc golf are available to visitors. The park is also the eastern point of the Cowboy Trail, a hiking/biking trail stretching over 300 miles from Norfolk to Valentine, Nebraska. Camping sites and RV sites are available as well. No reservations and a 7 day maximum stay. No sewer or water hookups available. $12/night tents, $18/night RVs, general admission is free.
- 2 Off Road Ranch, 2904 Old Hwy 8 (take US-275 south, continue onto NE-24, turn right onto S Channel Rd, use the Offroad Ranch exit), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 11AM-9PM. Host of the Midwest Quad Racing championship. This site offers a looped raceway and an off-road course for ATV and motorbikes. Day passes are available. RV parking is available on site at Off Road Ranch (see Sleep). Tickets are only available at the box office on the day of races. $15 adults for weekly races, $20 adults for all other races.
- 3 Poppy's Pumpkin Patch, 55275 837th Rd (south of Norfolk on Hwy 81 to 837th St), ☏ , email@example.com. Sep 11-Oct 31: Tu W 10AM-3PM, Th-Su 10AM-6PM. A locally run gourd farm offering family friendly activities. An onsite cafe available weekends. $8 per person, $7 seniors.
- 4 AquaVenture Water Park, 715 S 1st St (in Veteran's Memorial park, at the intersection of 1st St and E Passwalk Ave), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Memorial Day-Sep 30: 11:30AM-7:30PM, weather permitting. A local waterpark featuring water slides, a zero-entry wave pool, and a water playground. Concessions stand on site as well. $8 adults, $6 children, $7 seniors.
- 1 Norfolk Farmer's Market, 3rd St and Norfolk Ave (located at Riverpoint Square Park). May 29-Oct 30: Tu Th 4:30PM-6:30PM, Sa 9AM-noon. Fresh produce and home-baked goods made by the people of Norfolk. Arts and crafts for sale as well. Open during the summer and early fall.
- Smokin Stan's BBQ, 114 Madison Ave, ☏ .
- Norfolk Lodge & Suites, Ascend Hotel Collection, 4200 W Norfolk Ave, ☏ . All guest rooms are come with refrigerators, microwaves, flat-screen TV, wet bars and bath robes.
- Norfolk Country Inn, 1201 S 13th St, ☏ . 127 guest rooms and suites. Room service.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 920 S 20th St, ☏ . Indoor pool and fitness center. Free, hot breakfast bar every morning.
- Eco-Lux Inn, 1909 Krenzien Dr, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn, 904 S 20th St, ☏ . 75 rooms with two beds or king-sized bed
- New Victorian Inns, 1001 Omaha Ave, ☏ .
- Rodeway Inn & Suites, 2206 Market Ln, ☏ . Complimentary fresh breakfast,Free local calls and long distance access and free USA Today weekdays
- Madison County Convention & Visitors Bureau, 405 W. Madison Ave, ☏ .
- Norfolk Area Chamber of Commerce, 405 W. Madison Ave, ☏ .
|Routes through Norfolk|
|Yankton ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ Jct → York|
|Ends at ← O'Neill ←||W E||→ Fremont → Omaha|