North America > United States of America > Great Plains > Nebraska > Eastern Nebraska > Columbus (Nebraska)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Columbus is a town in Eastern Nebraska with a population of 23,000.
- 1 Columbus Municipal Airport (OLU IATA), 1308 Bill Babka Drive, ☏ . 7AM-7PM. A small municipal airport constructed shortly after 1945. Caters mostly towards light aircraft. One runway is concrete and the other is turf.
- 1 Andrew Jackson Higgins National Memorial, 2001 AJ Higgins Rd (head south on US-30 and turn west on 8th St, turn right on Van Berg Dr, follow the road around the park), ☏ . Sunrise to sunset. Centered around a replica of an LCPV, the memorial is dedicated to Andrew Higgins, a Columbus native that designed the landing craft for the US military during the Second World War. The site honors US military personnel and has a monument to the victims of 9/11. Free admission.
- 2 Platte County Museum, 2916 16th St (from US-30, take 16th St east, it's the tallest building in the neighborhood), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 8:30AM-1:30PM, May-Sep: F Sa 1-4PM. Run by the Platte County Historical Society. This volunteer-run museum showcases artifacts and photography ranging from fossils to modern relics. Houses the Gottschalk Log Cabin, constructed in 1857 and moved to its current location in the 1960s. The cabin is completely original and still has much of the original furniture on display inside. $3 adults, children under 14 free.
- 3 The Evan's House, 2204 14th St (take 14th street east until 22nd Ave), ☏ . A 28-room mansion constructed between 1908 and 1911. A blend of Greek, Spanish, and Renaissance styles of architecture. It houses offices. The building also hosts the Cattlemen's Ball, a charity festival held annually to raise money for cancer research. Grounds open during daylight hours, house tours avaliable by appointment only.
- 4 Quincentenary Belltower, US Hwy 81 & 33rd Ave (turn west onto 7th St from US-81, then turn left), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Grounds open sunrise to sunset. Constructed in 1992 to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the voyage of Christopher Columbus. 10 large bells are arranged around a plaza, one ringing every 15 minutes. Each of the bells has a plaque detailing it's history. Free Admission.
- 5 "Discovering the Colorful History of Columbus" Mural, 2524 13th St (on the corner of 13th St and 26th Ave, east of Frankfort Square), ☏ . Completed in 2006 in celebration of the town's 150th anniversary. The mural gives the illusion of pulling layers off a picture, exposing the history and origins of the town. Free Admission.
- 1 Pawnee Plunge Water Park, 560 33rd Ave (take US-30 south and turn west onto 7th St, then south on Pawnee Park Rd), ☏ . May-Aug: noon-8PM. Local water park featuring a lazy river, surfing simulator, and several waterslides. Food court present as well. $7 per person.
- 1 Duster's Restaurant and Gottberg Pub, 2804 13th St (near the train tracks on the corner of 13th and 28th St), ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-2PM, 5-9PM; closed Sunday. Pub open M-Sa 11AM-9PM. A more upscale take on the bar and grill formula. Gottberg also brews their own in house beer.
- 2 Husker Steak House, 1754 33rd Ave (on the west side of US-81), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 5-10PM, F Sa 5-10:30PM, lounge open M-Sa 3PM-midnight. A classic American steakhouse. Serving steak, pork, and seafood. Large collection of wine and beers to choose from as well.
- 1 Glur's Tavern, 2301 11th St, ☏ . M-Sa 10:30AM-midnight, closed Sunday. Built in 1876, this is the oldest tavern still operating in the state of Nebraska. Town folklore says Buffalo Bill was a regular when his traveling show was in town. Good food at good prices and friendly staff and customers.
- 2 Shenanigans Bar & Grill, 3808 23rd St E (take US-30 east and the first left turn on the east side of the canal), ☏ . 11AM-1AM. Located on the outskirts of town, this local bar hosts live music every weekend. Dimly lit by neon and lots of beer on tap, a fun place to kickstart the weekend.
- 3 Pawnee Bar, 653 33rd Ave (on the east side of US-81, opposite the Quincentenary Belltower), ☏ . 11AM-1AM. Family run bar located near some hotels. A good place for travelers to come and put their feet up. Cash only.