Passo Fundo in the state of Rio Grande do Sul, southern Brazil is sometimes called A Terra de Gente Boa (the Land of Good People),Capital do Planalto Médio (Capital of the mid-plateau), Capital Nacional da Literatura (National Capital of Literature), Lugar de ser Feliz (The Place to be Happy) and Capital do Norte (Capital of the North, referring to northern Rio Grande do Sul). It has one of the strongest gaúcho cultures of any city in Rio Grande do Sul. (The word gaúcho in Portuguese is written with an acute accent to differentiate it from the Spanish "gaucho" and is roughly pronounced like "gow-OO-shu.")
The city is home to some 200,000 people and lies in the north of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil's southernmost state.
Passo Fundo has a strong concentration of gaúcho culture which manifests itself in its gaúcho and more modern tchê music (bands that play guitar, drums, and accordion), rodeios at the CTGs or Centers of Gaúcho Traditions, agriculture, animal husbandry with a heavy emphasis on cattle, and dance. If you're looking to spot gaúchos in the streets, this is a not a bad place to start as it's fairly common to see older citizens walking around town in the pilcha (typical gaúcho dress consisting of boots, gaucho pants called bombachas, a belt called a guaiaca, shirt, a typically red scarf called a lençol, and flat-brimmed hat). In general, citizens who identify with gaucho culture under 60 years of age generally only wear gaúcho clothing at gaúcho-specific social functions like dances or parties. They will wear regular street clothes outside of those functions.
- 1 Aeroporto Lauro Kurtz (PFB IATA), BR 285, Km 288, São José subdivision (about 8 km out of town), ☏ . Has daily flights from cities throughout Brazil such as São Paulo, Campinas, Caçador, Curitiba and Porto Alegre. From there, you can connect to international flights.
Airlines serving Passo Fundo include:
- 2 Estação Rodoviária de Passo Fundo (Intercity bus station), Rua Angelo Pretto, 158, ☏ . The station has a snack bar, shops with newspapers, magazines, and gaúcho-themed souvenirs. It also has a baggage storage services (guarda volumes) if you plan on just visiting town while waiting for another bus. Most travelers coming from the metropolitan Porto Alegre region and Serra Gaúcha will take the UNESUL busline to Passo Fundo. If traveling to Passo Fundo from another area, check the bus station website where you can check schedules, verify bus fare, and even purchase tickets (although a CPF, Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas, or Natural Persons Register Number is necessary). Most foreigners simply show up at the time of travel and purchase a ticket. In general, there are vacancies on the buses if you're not traveling during a holiday.
Intercity buslines that operate at the Passo Fundo intercity bus station:
- Unesul, ☏ , toll-free: 0800-888-0809.
- Reunidas, ☏ , toll-free: 0800-49-6161.
- Planalto, toll-free: 0800-604-1832.
- Hélios, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Passo Fundo is well-connected by road. The main roads in and out are the BR-285 (in east to west direction), the BR-153 (going north to south), the RS-324 (heading northwest to southeast) and lastly the RS-135, which leads northeast.
- COLEURB. Coleurb provides municipal bus transport around Passo Fundo with stops all around the city.
Taxi fare is regulated by city law. Flag 1 selected on the taximeter represents the normal fare. Flag 2 occurs from 22:00 - 06:00, on weekends and holidays. However, there is no difference between Flag 1 and Flag 2 in Passo Fundo.
|Price Table||Flag 1 (Bandeira 1)||Flag 2 (Bandeira 2)|
|Per hour stopped||R$10.44||R$10.44|
|Airport to City Center||R$40.00||R$40.00|
- Catedral de Nossa Senhora Aparecida (Cathedral of Our Lady of Apparition). The cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Passo Fundo.
- Prix Hotel, Rua Lava Pés, 3600, Passo Fundo. A 4-star, well-equipped hotel with air-conditioned rooms and facilities including a gym and swimming pool. From R$250/310 for a single/double.
- 1 San Silvestre Hotel, Rua Coronel Chicuta, 371 Centro, Passo Fundo, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A great location in the center of the city right by the Shopping Bella Città. Try the green fruit and vegetable juice at the free breakfast buffet.
- Maitá Palace Hotel, Avenida Brasil Leste, 400. A bit out of town but close to the bus station and not to far from the airport. From R$180/225 for a single/double.
|Routes through Passo Fundo|
|Ijuí ← Carazinho ←||W E||→ Lagoa Vermelha → Vacaria|
|Vera Cruz ← Soledade ←||S N||→ Getúlio Vargas → Erechim|
|Nova Prata ← Marau ←||SE NW||→ Pontão → Ronda Alta|