Patagonia is a region in the extreme south of Chile.
- 1 Coyhaique - the capital of the Aysén region.
- 2 Porvenir
- 3 Puerto Natales
- 4 Puerto Rio Tranquilo
- 5 Puerto Williams
- 6 Punta Arenas
- 7 Villa O'Higgins
- 1 Cabo Froward
- 2 Bernardo O'Higgins National Park
- 3 Laguna San Rafael National Park
- 4 Torres del Paine National Park
- 5 Tierra del Fuego (Chile)
This region contains two of Chile's fourteen existing political and territorial divisions: Aysén and Magallanes.
Airports (in Chile) are located in Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, and Puerto Natales. SKY Airline and LAN Chile both fly into Punta Arenas and Puerto Montt, while Puerto Nateles is served only by SKY Airline. In Argentina El Calafate is served by Comandante Armando Tola Airport, Aerolines Argentina goes here along with Aerochacho, LADE Airlines, and LAN Argentina. Also Rio Gallegos has an airport, this airport is served by Aerlines Argentines, Austral Lineas Aereas, LAN Chile, LAN Argentina, and SOL Lineas Aereas.
To drive from Santiago to northern Patagonia, places like Coyhaique and Villa O'Higgins, Chilean Road 7 can be used. It has several ferry crossings. It is also possible to drive through Argentina.
To drive to southern Patagonia, places like Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas, the only possibility is to drive through Argentina.
Route 9 runs through the Region. Route 255 (This road comes out from Route 9) crosses into Argentina becoming Argentinian Route 3. More Routes in this region include, Route 257, and Route Y-50.
Bus service in smaller towns may be infrequent, with buses passing through only a couple of times each week.
- Fishing is popular in the Palena, Figueroa and Cisnes rivers, plus many other tributaries. Lake Rosselot and the lakes surrounding Coyhaique are also well known as a sports fishing destination.
Many of the towns in this region do not have ATMs (or have ATMs that don't seem to work with many foreign cards). Make sure to keep a good stash of emergency cash on hand before venturing out into the smaller towns.
- Centolla (Southern King Crab) is fished in this region