Patensie is situated in a citrus producing area on the edge of the Baviaanskloof Mega Reserve (part of the Cape Floral Region world heritage site) and the Stinkhoutberg Nature Reserve.
The town exists mostly to support the citrus farms surrounding it, but with the stunning views in the valley, proximity to the nature reserves and many game farms, it is also offers a lot of opportunities for tourism.
The R330 and R331 both tarred roads in very good condition, but if you intend to explore further into Baviaanskloof a 4x4 is advisable.
The town is very small and most of the attractions you would want to see will be in the surrounding areas, you really need a hired car in order to explore.
The R330 and R331 into Patensie and most of the surrounding roads are in very good condition and a normal car is all you will need. If however, you want to explore further into Baviaanskloof a 4x4 is recommended as many of the roads in the reserve are gravel and some roads may not be driveable with a normal car. This is especially true for the road between Combrink's pass and Sandvlakte. Phone +27 42 283-0630 for an update on the condition of the road.
The Gamtoos valley offers many stunning views and rock formations. Best way is to take a slow drive and explore the surrounding area.
- Tolbos (You will see it when you drive into town), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 8AM-5PM; Sa 8:30AM-5PM; Su 9AM-5PM. All kinds of stuff from homemade jams to arts and crafts. Try the doringdraad mampoer. Also a good place to pick up some travel guides as Tolbos is an official Tourist Information center for the area.
- Tolbos, ☏ . They serve a very decent breakfast
- Ripple Hill Lodge, ☏ .
- [dead link] Aviance Guest House, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Self-catering or B&B. Indoor braai, 4 beds all en-suite and swimming pool available
- Gonjah (9km outside Patensie on the way to Baviaanskloof), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Chalet and camp site. Also offers 4x4 trails. Cost from R250 per unit per night.
- Gamtoos B&B, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. R120 to R200 per person per night.
- 1 Orchard View Country House (On the R331, 3km west of Patensie), ☏ . Self-catering or (dinner), bed & breakfast with a nice view over the Gamtoos Valley and Patensie. From R200 pps.
- Retadi Gaste Huis, ☏ .
- Shumba Manor, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The Shumba Manor offers self-catering cottages and budget B&B rooms. The cottages have a double bedroom and sleeper couch, a bathroom and living area with an indoor braai and kitchenette. The is an extension of the main house and has its own private entrance. They have two bedrooms, each with twin beds, a television, tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast is included.
- Shumba Safari Lodge, ☏ . Lion, Giraffe and buck. Games drives and accommodation.
- Tia Ghee Tent Camp, R331 (Follow the R331 to Combria, Tia Ghee signboard will be on the right), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tents on permanent floors with beds, bedding and towels supplied. Breakfast and dinner is served. From R250 per person out of season and R270 in season.
Further inland along the R331 is the Paul Sauer dam and the Baviaanskloof Mega Reserve . The dam can be accessed with a normal car as it is all tar road except for the last 4km that is well graded gravel. A 4x4 is a must to enjoy the Baviaanskloof.
- Baviaanskloof Mega Reserve, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. A world heritage site. 200 km² of unspoiled mountain terrain. Self-catering chalets, huts, camping and caravan sites distributed throughout the park.
- The beaches and surf at St Francis and Jeffreys Bay is less than 50 km away.
- The Tsitsikamma National Park.
- Visit Hankey and final resting place of Sarah Baartman.