Asia > Southeast Asia > Thailand > Eastern Thailand > Eastern Gulf Coast > Jomtien
Jomtien (จอมเทียน) is immediately south of Pattaya and is technically a part of the municipality. Jomtien, like Pattaya, is popular with tourists, but has a significant population of permanent expat retirees and some workers, making it a more sedate alternative.
As with most Thai place and street names written using Latin characters, Jomtien is spelled in a number of ways with road signs usually reading Chom Tien or Chom Thian while shops and businesses use Jomtien.
Most buses from Bangkok serve the main Pattaya bus terminal on North Pattaya Rd. Taxis are the easiest option for the onward trip to Jomtien. Songthaews (aka "baht buses", converted pick up trucks with two longitudinal benches in the back) also depart from the bus station and will drop travellers throughout Pattaya and Jomtien for between 20-150 baht depending on the distance travelled. If taking a baht bus it's advisable to know roughly where your intended stop is, as passengers have to push the buzzer to signal the driver to stop.
There were originally two bus terminals in Jomtien. The Soi Chaiyapruek terminal has closed, but the ticket office is still there.
The current terminal in Jomtien (near Beach Rd) is the car-park of a small shopping precinct, and a Foodmart Supermarket, opposite Pan-Pan Restaurant. It is a busy junction, arrivals going to Pattaya travel north, and Jomtien to the south.
There are also buses direct from Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport (126 baht) to the Jomtien terminal. The fare is approximately 110 baht. In high season it is a good idea to book your ticket early on the day you are returning to the airport.
If you have very little or no luggage (and don't mind risking your life) motorcycle taxis are plentiful and should cost between 20-100 baht to any destination within Pattaya or Jomtien.
There is no shortage of baht buses, they are helpful, and you simply indicate your destination. You will share with others, and should expect to pay about 20-50 baht per head. Jomtien Beach Rd is 400 m away, and most hotels are along the beach road, which is at least 3 km long.
- Thai Alangkarn Theater (km155 Sukhumvit Rd, from South Pattaya-Sattahip, opposite Pinacle Hotel, 800 m before Ambassador City Jomtien)), ☎ , e-mail: , email@example.com. Daily except W. Regular show 18:00. Thai extravaganza employing high-end technologies. The entire project includes a prototype 70 m hexa stage theatre with 2,000 seats in tiers, cultural rostrum and a restaurant with 1,000 seat capacity.
- Amara Windsurfing, ☎ , fax: .
- Dongtan Beach (Runs to the right of the police box at the very end of Thappraya Rd). While this area is frequented by mostly straight families, it also boasts perhaps the largest concentration of GLBT community beach-goers in Southeast Asia as a 265 m section of this beach, from Tui's Place up to Rabbit Resort, represents Pattaya's only gay beach. The beach is divided into sections, each run by a separate vendor. You can relax and share your experiences with fellow gay travellers from around the world or with local expats, get a foot massage (about 300 baht for an hour), purchase all manner of DVDs and other paraphernalia from roving vendors, people watch, eat & drink.
- Hardbody Fitness Gym, 401/17 Moo 12, Thappraya Rd. Daily, 08:30-21:00. Small non-air-con free weights-oriented gym. 75 baht/day, 300 baht/week, 500 baht/fortnight, 750 baht/month, 2,000 baht/3 months, 3,500 baht/6 months, 6,000 baht/year.
- Jomtien Bowl (Royal Jomtien Resort, Jomtien Beach Rd). Daily, 10:00-02:00. 8 lanes.
- Jomtien Fishing Park (Jomtien Beach Rd Soi 14). Guides are available, as is food (including your catch) and drink. Competitions on Saturday and Sunday 15:00-17:00 (100 baht/rod). 100 baht/own rod, 200 baht to rent house rods.
- Jungle Bungy Jump, ☎ . 09:00-18:00. Beautiful tropical setting, 50 m (165 ft) over a jungle lagoon. Will pickup/return anywhere in Pattaya.
- [dead link]Paintball World (Jomtien Beach Rd), ☎ .
- Pattaya Park and Tower (สวนสนุกพัทยาปาร์ค), ☎ . Su-F 10:00-19:00, Sa 10:00-20:00. Large whirlpool with giant slides and a tower with a revolving restaurant. Visitors can also enjoy several games and rides on the tower and in its playground. 200 baht.
- Bookazine (Next to the 7-Eleven opposite the Dongtan Police Box at the very end of Thappraya Rd).
- Alois ((say) (Thappraya Rd, west side, near Third Rd overpass.), ☎ . Sophisticated continental dining at reasonable prices.
- Aquarius (Jomtien Complex), ☎ . Closed Monday. Pleasant, inexpensive European dining.
- Bruno's (Thappraya Rd, Chateau Dale Plaza.), ☎ . Long-established, fine continental dining. Expensive.
- Cafe des Amis (at the foot of Soi 11 off Thappraya Rd.), ☎ . Charming, romantic continental dining. Moderate.
- Cafe Ritz (Jomtien Complex), ☎ . Nice British/continental food at reasonable prices. Very good daily specials.
- Dar's Place (Soi Bun Kanchana, side soi next to Tesco Lotus and dentist near covered market.), ☎ . European and Thai food. Steaks, fresh coffee, espresso and cappuccino, outdoor and indoor dining. Daily 99 baht specials. Friendly English speaking Thai lady owner with European and Thai cook.
- Gians (Thappraya Rd, Chateau Dale Plaza), ☎ . Sophisticated Italian cuisine.
- L'Olivier (Jomtien Complex), ☎ . Closed Tu. Informal French food, reasonable prices.
- Magg's (Thepprasit Rd, north side, about 250 m from Thappraya Rd.), ☎ . Closed Su. Inexpensive, good British/European food, daily specials. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. No air-con.
- Mignon (Thappraya Rd, south side, about 200 m from Jomtien Beach Rd), ☎ . Small, charming, inexpensive European food. Many beef dishes.
- Mike's Mexican (Soi 5, a short way down from Thappraya Rd), ☎ . Good fresh Tex-Mex in charming open-air setting.
- Nawab Tadoori (on Soi 5 off Pratamnak Rd, between Jomtien and Pattaya.), ☎ . 08:00-24:00. Excellent Indian food as well as Thai and European. Around 20 tasty vegetarian dishes. Friendly staff.
- News Cafe (Thappraya Rd, Chateau Dale Plaza), ☎ . Very good European food in pleasant setting. New tapas menu.
- Pagoda (Jomtien Complex), ☎ . Pleasant atmosphere, excellent service with continental/German cuisine at reasonable prices.
- Pan Pan (Thappraya Rd, west side, about 75 m north of Thepprasit.), ☎ . Long- established traditional Italian cuisine with wood-fired pizza oven. Very popular with Thai families.
- Poseidon (Jomtien Complex), ☎ . Sophisticated European dining at reasonable prices (drinks are a bit pricey). Terrific 144 baht buffet breakfast.
While more subdued than the bar scene in Pattaya, Jomtien has a number of beer bars, a few ordinary bars, and a single go-go bar scattered in the smaller sois off Beach Road or along the main road towards Pattaya. Most of the gay bars and establishments are concentrated within the low-rise Jomtien Complex off Thappraya Road.
The single biggest bar complex is the Rompho Market on Second Road at the far end of either Soi 5 or Soi 7. This has about 50+ open-air bars open from late afternoon till about 01ː00 daily. It's highly competitive, with many offering live entertainment or free pool as enticements.
Prices are generally a little lower than in Pattaya or Bangkok as bars are more reliant on the expat clientèle.
- 1 Tui's Place (Tui's Place Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant), 318/77-78 Thap Phraya Rd, Moo 12 (on Jomtien's gay beach, about a 10-minute songthaew ride from Boyztown and Sunee Plaza), ☎ . 08:00-18:00. Full drinks menu. Serves a delicious array of local favourites and light snacks including salads, soups and sandwiches. Guest rooms range from 900-2,100-baht. Each room comes with a private bathroom, balcony, cable TV, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe. 50 baht for coffee up to 350 baht for a carafe of wine.
There are many guesthouses and apartments/studios, located up the side streets, the majority being in Soi Watboon, which is alongside The Grand Jomtien Palace Hotel. Expect to pay 750 baht per night in a reasonable guesthouse.
- Angel's Guest House, Jomtien Beach Rd, 131/23-24 Chaiyapruk Rd, ☎ . Angel is a baby-blue miniature boutique complex with Wi-Fi and Thai décor including shrines. Set back in a rustic part of the town, it's a 1-minute walk from the beach and a 15-minute songthaew ride to Pattaya. The staff speak English and can help with arranging local tours.
- [dead link]Jomtien Golden Inn, Jomtien Beach Rd, Soi 7, ☎ . A small guesthouse offers convenient air-con rooms with cable TV and free Wi-Fi. From 550 baht.
- Jomtien Hostel, 279/347 Moo 12, Soi Somprasong Plaza, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. TV cable, shower, fridge, balcony for smokers, LGBT run establishment. 20 rooms 8 apartments for monthly rent. Lift, wheelchair access. For 260 baht, a bed in the fan dorm room, privates for 2 from 550-1,050 baht with air-con.
- Lek Hotel Jomtien, Jomtien Beach Rd, Soi 7. Offers clean, but very basic air-con rooms with breakfast for 750+ baht.
- [dead link]Maggie Mays Guesthouse, Jomtien Beach Rd, Soi Watboon (250 m behind Grand Jomtien Palace Hotel), ☎ . Check-in: 12:00. English-owned, large rooms, short walk to beach, home made menu. Small family sports pub and lots of locals to share stories with. 9 rooms with tea/coffee, air, safe, keycard entry, TV, DVD, Wi-Fi, free Internet in the bar, 100 channels, balcony. 600-800 baht.
- 1 [dead link]Welcome Marina Hotel, 334/124-127 Moo12, soi Welcome Jomtien (between Jomtien soi 11 and 12) (On Jomtien Beach, 40 meters from the sea), ☎ , e-mail: WelcomeMarina.email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. 500+.
- Chang Charlie Inn, Jomtien Beach Rd, Soi 8, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. A boutique hotel a couple blocks from the main stretch of Jomtien Beach. Beautiful rooms with a mixture of traditional Thai as well as colonial British-Indian décor and art. Great rates for what you are getting (private patio, flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, etc). 1,000-2,000 baht; 2-4 bedroom suites 2,500-6,000 baht.
- Jomtien Boathouse, 380/5-6 Jomtien Beach Rd, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. This centrally located 4-storey hotel faces across Jomtien Beach Rd to the sea. Rooms are a decent size with very pleasant décor and large beds. You have to climb the stairs for the best view, and bear in mind that the balcony rooms facing west do get hot in the afternoons. Wi-Fi signal is best in the lobby and bar. 875-1,500 baht.
- Dental Café, 306/57 Moo 12 Thappraya Rd, ☎ , fax: . Daily, 10:00-20:00. Delightful reception area and café, and the receptionist's smile is a testament to her employer's determination and tenacity.
- Thailand Post (Jomtien Post Office), Jomtien Beach Soi 5, ☎ .