The Eastern Gulf Coast has the popular beachside resorts closest to Bangkok in Eastern Thailand. However, it also has highly industrialised sections with pollution problems. Hwy 3 aka Sukhumvit Rd spans the 400 km of coastline from central Bangkok to Trat province.
- 1 Ban Phe — gateway to Ko Samet and some beaches of its own
- 2 Bang Saen — closest beach to Bangkok and an aquarium
- 3 Chanthaburi - may be disregarded as a transport hub but has its own attractions not overrun by foreign tourists
- 4 Chonburi - more known as a hub of industry but hosts local festivals
- 5 Jomtien — beach town, separate, but administratively a part of Pattaya proper
- 6 Pattaya — notorious den of sleaze trying to clean up its act
- 7 Rayong — surfing beaches along the coast
- 8 Sattahip - home of a large naval reservation with less touristy beaches maintained by the military
- 9 Si Racha — known for a spicy sauce and seafood
- 1 Ko Laan - small island near Pattaya
- Ko Sak - small island near Pattaya
- 2 Ko Samet - the nearest thing to a paradise island around Bangkok
- 3 Ko Si Chang - the island that tourism (almost) forgot
- Golf. A speciality of the region, with more than 20 courses within an hour's drive of Pattaya, many designed by some of golf's most famous names, including Nick Faldo (Great Lakes), Jack Nicklaus (Laem Chabang), Gary Player (Si Racha) and Robert Trent Jones (Eastern Star Resort and Country Club). All offer good facilities and value for money in the 500 (green and caddy fee) to 2,500 baht range. It is advisable to wear long trousers rather than shorts to some of the more upmarket clubs.
Other well-known popular courses in the area Pattaya include the Siam Country Club, Siam Plantation, Khao Kheow, Rayong Green Valley, St Andrews 2000, Mountain Shadow, Burapha, The Emerald, Eastern Star, The Phoenix, Crystal Bay, and Pattaya Country Club. Local golf operators can easily organise packages that also include accommodation.
Even more remote beaches and islands can be found in Trat.
If you are tired of beaches you can take a bus to Isaan, the landlocked northeastern region
|Routes through Eastern Gulf Coast|
|Bangkok ←||W E||→ Trat|