Sattahip is a small fishing town by the sea. It has hosted for decades a large Royal Thai Navy and Marine Corps base. Domestic tourists come to pay homage to Luang Pho I, a renowned Buddhist monk.
Sattahip is twice as large as the Banglamung district in which Pattaya City is located but it has a much smaller population. The availability of land has resulted in the construction of many large tourist attractions. These are marketed as 'Pattaya attractions' to tourists visiting nearby Pattaya.
Or to buck the trend big time, go by rail (3rd class, weekdays only) between Bangkok Hualamphong station and Sattahip. The fare for the 4.5 hour train ride is just 37 baht. Departs Bangkok at 06:55 and arrives at Sattahip after 11:00; departs Sattahip 13:35, arrives at Bangkok after 18:15. But don't forget, no trains on Saturdays or Sundays.
White baht buses (songthaews) run along Sukhumvit Rd (Hwy 3) and take you also to Pattaya for 20 baht. They may be adequate if you stay in Na Jomtien or Bang Sa-Re area because the beach and resorts are 0.8-1.4 km (0.5-0.9 mi) from Hwy 3. For points inland and further south you will be struggling without your own transportation.
- 1 Anek Kuson Sala (Wihan Sian) (เอนกกุศลศาลา (วิหารเซียน)) (entrance is a bit prior to Wat Yanasangwararam, 800 m from the intersection at the reservoir), ☏ . 08:30-17:00 daily. Anek Kuson Sala is an art gallery with high-class Chinese architecture and fine arts constructed in 1987 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King’s birthday. Inside is an exhibition displaying precious antiques such as the large white jade Bodhisattva Kwan Yin's image, terracotta soldiers and horses from the tomb of Emperor Qin Shi Huang, an emperor’s golden throne, ancient paintings and pottery. 50 baht.
- Hat Nang Ram ((หาดนางรำ) (Close to the Sattahip deep-water port). Nang Ram beach is about 200 m long. At the tip of the beach stands the shrine of Kromluang Chumphonkhetudomsak, the Father of Royal Thai Navy. The atmosphere is very peaceful with shadowy pine trees and lines of frangipani trees.
- Hat Sai Kaeo ((หาดทรายแก้ว), ☏ (ext 2201-2). A beautiful beach under the supervision of the Royal Thai Navy and is near the Naval Ratings School. Accommodation for tourists is provided.
- Hat Thian Talay ((หาดเทียนทะเล). A sandy beach alternating with rocks, covering an length of 900 m. It is a panoramic sightseeing point, with bizarrely shaped cliffs where a view of the sunset on the horizon can be admired. There are various marine plants for study, kayaks for rent, as well as restaurants for food and beverages.
- 2 HTMS Chakri Naruebet (เรือรบหลวงจักรีนฤเบศร) (Hwy 3 to traffic lights at white lighthouse, turn right, turn left at coastline, turn right to Rte 3126), ☏ . Daily, 08:00-16:00. Closed W from 08:00-12:00. An offshore patrol helicopter carrier anchored at the Chuk Samet Deep Seaport. The king named the ship "Chakri Naruebet" meaning "Sovereign of the Chakri Dynasty". It was constructed in Spain in 1994. It is an 11-storey ship measuring 182 m in length and 30.5 m in width. It is equipped with modern weapons, as well as long-range surveillance radar. It serves as flagship of the fleet, controlling and commanding the fleet at sea, as well as an aircraft carrier and air defence mission. International visitors must write a letter to the Commander of the Royal Thai Fleet, Sattahip, Chonburi, 20180. Free.
- Laser Image of Buddha on the Khao Chi Chan Cliff ((พระพุทธรูปแกะสลักเขาชีจรรย์) (On the same road as Wat Yanasangwararam, 6 km from km160 of Sukhumvit Rd). The image is in the subduing Mara posture, cast by laser beams on the Khao Chi Chan cliff. It is a combination of Sukhothai and Lanna arts with a height of 130 m and width of 70 m at the lap of the image. The image called "Phra Phuttha Maha Wachira Uttamophat Satsada" was constructed in 1996 to honour the king. Inside the chest of the image resides the Lord Buddha’s relic. Moreover, the garden in the compound is decorated for relaxation. Under the supervision of the Royal Thai Marines and Navy.
- 3 Nong Nooch Tropical Garden and Resort (สวนนงนุช), 34 Na Chom Thian, Sattahip District (About 18 km south of Pattaya, with a left turn from Sukhumvit Rd at km163), ☏ . A sprawling recreational park in a typical Thai setting. Groups of traditional Thai houses and gardens of different plants, for example, an orchid garden, a palm garden, a banana garden, a bonsai garden, a cactus garden and a heliconia garden, are dotted around the beautifully landscaped site. A zoo and a butterfly garden are also in the compound. There are daily cultural and elephant shows. Show times are 09:45, 10:30, 15:00, 15:45 and on holidays at 14:45. The garden provides a tram for touring around costing 20 baht per one round per person. Garden only 100 baht, with shows 500 baht.
- Suan Chunlakan Sathit Sathan Banphachon Siam ((สวนจุลการสถิตสถานบรรพชนสยาม), Moo 1, Phlu Ta Luang. Daily, 07:00-18:00. A park built for Admiral Prince Krommaluang Chumphon Khet Udomsak in 1995. At a shrine with statues of Prince Krommaluang Chumphon Khet Udomsak and other significant persons in Thai history, as well as revered Buddhist monks.
- Turtle Conservation Centre, ☏ . Daily, 08:00-17:00. The Royal Thai Navy is a source of knowledge on the biology of the sea turtle life cycle for governmental agencies and groups of visitors. Visitors can admire the sea turtles in nursery ponds. The objective is to breed turtles and to increase awareness of the precarious future of Thai sea turtles.
- Wat Sattahip or Wat Luang Pho I (วัดสัตหีบ หรือ วัดหลวงพ่ออี๋). Daily, 06:00-21:00. Its back side is next to the sea. It was constructed during the reign of King Rama V by Luangpho I or Phrakhru Worawet Muni who possessed knowledge of meditation and comforted locals in difficult times. In gratitude, they cast an life-size statue of him residing inside the ubosot. Lines of toei trees (Pandanus kaida Kurz) on the 200 m crescent beach add to the tranquility of the atmosphere. The northern side of the beach has a naval museum and monument. Toei Ngam Beach is under the navy’s supervision.
- 4 Wat Yanasangwararam Woramahawihan (วัดญาณสังวรารามวรมหาวิหาร) (turn left from Sukhumvit Rd at km160 for 5 km). It was constructed in 1976 for Somdet Phra Yanasangwon, the present Supreme Patriarch, and later was supported by His Majesty the King. At the entrance are situated international pavilions presenting each country’s national architectural style around the pond. Within the compound of the temple are the mondop where a replica of the Buddha’s footprint is enshrined, a large chedi containing the relics of the Lord Buddha, as well as, his enlightened followers, and Wihan Phra Yanaret. It is open from 08:00-16:00 For more information, Tel.+66 38 237506. Moreover, there is a place where the Royal Project for Agricultural Training Centre and Wildlife Preservation Area are located.
- 1 Amara Watersports, 23/4 Moo 2, Soi Najomtien 14 (Blue Lagoon, next to The View restaurant), ☏ . has provided paddle board and windsurfing equipment rental, storage and lessons since 1978.
- Bang Sa-re (บางเสร่) (16 km south of Pattaya, with a right turn at km164). A fishing village. South of Bang Sa-re is a deep bay suitable for angling. To the north are accommodations and dining facilities along the beach.
- 2 Cartoon Network Amazone Waterpark (สวนน้ำการ์ตูนเน็ทเวิร์คอเมโซน), 888 Moo 8, Na Jomtien (Off Hwy 3 20 min from Pattaya, north of Nong Nooch gardens), ☏ . 10:00-19:00. A heavily branded water park featuring 13 different water slide attractions and shows with dancers and Cartoon Network animation characters. 1290-1690 baht.
- Chong Samaesan Village (หมู่บ้านช่องแสมสาร) (Some 17 km beyond the Sattahip deep-water port). Chong Samaesan is a village offering good fishing opportunities. There are bungalow-type accommodations and tourists can charter boats to enjoy fishing the nearby islands. These small islands are under the jurisdiction of the navy.
- Hat Nang Rong (หาดนางรอง) (A little beyond Hat Nang Ram). It is a 200 m beach with pine trees, suitable for swimming and relaxation. There are various beach accessories for rent such as a hammock for 30 baht, a football for 20 baht. It is open every Saturday and Sunday and public holidays. 20 baht for a car, 10 baht for a motorcycle.
- 3 Pattaya Boat Hire, Ocean Marina Yacht Club, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Yacht Charter, Day Trips, Sunset Cruises & Party Boat Hire.
- 4 RamaYana Water Park (สวนน้ำรามายณะ), 9 Moo 7, Na Jomtien (20 km south of Pattaya, close to the big Buddha Mountain (Khao Chi Chan) and next to Silver Lake Vineyard,), ☏ . 10:00-18:00. With a total size of more than 18 ha (45 acres / 102 rai), this is one of Asia’s biggest water parks. The park, which is designed as a modern water park built on an antique Asian city, offers 21 water slides, two dedicated children’s zones, a 600 m long lazy river and a double wave pool with a 150 m wide beach as well as relaxation and activity pools. The park, which is has natural lakes and islands in and around the park, and also includes attractions like a floating market, real elephants, and a maze. 590-1190 baht.
- 1 Mimosa Pattaya (The City of Love), 28/19-20 Moo 2, Na Jomtien (On Hwy 3 opposite Ambassador City Jomtien Hotel), ☏ . 10:00-21:00. A shopping mall masquerading as an antique French village. Offers lots of gimmicky photo opportunities without and with staff wearing European fancy dress. A ladyboy show as an additional attraction. 50-300 baht.
- 1 The Glass House, 5/22 Moo 2, Na Jomtien. 11:00-24:00. Beautifully designed restaurant on the beach.
|Routes through Sattahip|
|Bangkok ← Pattaya ←||N S||→ END|
|Bangkok ← Jomtien ←||W E||→ Rayong → Trat|