Petralia Sottana (Sicilian: Pitralìa Suttana) is in the Province of Palermo, on the island of Sicily, Italy.
Petralia Sottana is a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from the city of Palermo.
All parts of the town are easily accessed by foot.
Antonio Collisani Civic Museum - Housed in a former Franciscan convent, the museum consists of a geological collection and an archaeological section, which houses the remains of the Collisani collection.
Chiesa Madre (Mother Church) - The main church in the village, commonly referred to as the "Madrice", was built on the site of an ancient temple. The current structure, with three naves and a basilica, was built between 1632 and 1790, together with the adjacent bell tower of white stone with a pointed arch culvert. The Church has a remarkable "treasure", including works of gold and silver, baroque and neoclassical objects and an interesting and ancient archive, which has been reorganized and made available.
Church of St. Francis of Assisi - Founded, together with the adjoining convent (now the museum), in the 15th century, the church's current form dates back to the 17th century. The church is adorned with precious Baroque frescoes, and houses paintings by Zoppo di Gangi and the Novelli school, as well as a valuable Baroque pulpit in gilded wood.
Church of the Holy Trinity (Badia) - Built in 1531 along with the adjoining convent of the Dominican Sisters of Clausura (now Institute of Science), the church has a large marble bust of Giandomenico Gagini, as well as paintings by Visalli and D'Antona, and a rare Baroque organ.
Church of Santa Maria alla Fontana - The church of Santa Maria alla Fontana was built in the seventeenth century, probably on the site of a former mosque. It houses fine sculptures and paintings of the 17th-century Sicilian school. Near the building lies a water source, which is essential for the ablutions prescribed by the Koran. Until the early 900s, the fountain fed into a large semi-circular fountain with four water outlets, which gave rise to the name of the church. The original fountain has since been replaced by two small fountains with a cup mask on both sides of a war memorial.
Il Castello, Via G. Di Maria 27. Great pizza and pasta, amongst other local style mains. Extensive wine cellar.
Petrae Lejum, Corso Pietro Agliata 113. Amazing pasta dishes, including wild boar and local mushroom sauces. Great prices and generous servings, along with a great atmosphere.
La Terrazza Di Albanese Daniela, Piazza Umberto I. Great little bar with a good selection of drinks and light snacks. Next to a beautiful 17th century church and overlooking an immense valley, over medieval rooftops. One of the most amazing views at sunset that you'll find anywhere.
Il Castello, Via G. Di Maria 27. Fantastic rustically decorated hotel and restaurant built on the remains of the village's castle. Very comfortable and reasonably priced. Try the restaurant for great local specialties and pizza.