Port Howard is a small settlement on the island of West Falkland in the Falkland Islands. The settlement is the centre of a 200,000 acre sheep farm, with twenty permanent residents and over 42,000 sheep. Visitors to Port Howard are offered a glimpse of camp life along with excellent fishing and hiking opportunities.
Nearly all visitors to Port Howard arrive on a FIGAS flight, landing on a grassy runway which will almost certainly need to be cleared of sheep and other livestock.
There are also daily sailings from New Haven on East Falkland to Port Howard allowing easy access to Port Howard by road from Stanley.
The settlement is tiny, so you will be able explore it on foot.
- Dolphins - the settlement's jetty is a good place to spot Commerson's dolphins. Believe it or not, a few bangs with a metal pipe on the side of the jetty are usually enough to summon any cetaceans that are in the area!
- War Museum (In a semi-circular corrugated iron hut in the grounds of the Lodge). Open daily, sunrise to sunset. A tiny museum of the 1982 war, mainly notable for its artefacts, including a parachute, ejector seats and weapons from both sides. Free.
- Fishing. Port Howard offers some of the best fly fishing in the islands, with the Warrah River boasting the West Falkland's record sea trout.
- Wildlife Viewing. Like most places in the Falklands the wildlife around Port Howard is fearless and relatively abundant. Seals, penguins and numerous other birds can all be found within walking distance of the settlement.
Unless invited to somebody's home, you will get all your meals at the Lodge. Pack lunches are provided to travellers wishing to spend the entire day out.
The Lodge has a small bar that works on an honour system.
- 1 Port Howard Lodge, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Located in the former farm manager's house, this lodge offers six double rooms and two single rooms. Four rooms have central heating, and all rooms have their own bathrooms.
- Carcass Island
- Goose Green
- New Island
- Pebble Island
- Saunders Island
- Sea Lion Island
- West Point Island