- 1 Greater Portsmouth Regional Airport (Located in nearby Minford).
By car, Portsmouth can be accessed using U.S. Route 23 (North/South) and U.S. Route 52 (East/West).
Greyhound serves Portsmouth by bus.
Amtrak serves the city via its thrice-weekly Cardinal train, running between Washington, D.C. and Chicago. Trains call in the small town of South Shore, Kentucky, just across the Ohio river. 2 South Portsmouth–South Shore station is located at US-23 & Main St. There's no public transport available at the station so make sure to call an taxi or arrange private transport beforehand.
Travelling by own boat is quite popular along the Ohio river and nearby Scioto river is popular for canoeing.
Other than a couple cab companies, there are no forms of public transit. Although, a traveler can easily walk to many locations downtown.
Portsmouth is full of history so take time to visit the antique shops, cafes and pubs in the Bonneyfiddle District. One of the main attractions in Portsmouth is the 2,200-foot floodwall mural painted by famed artist Robert Dafford. It is truly amazing and quite unique.
- 1 Shawnee State University, 940 Second St, ☏ . One of Ohio's fastest growing universities.
- Southern Ohio Museum, 825 Gallia St, ☏ .
- Clark Planetarium.
- Kricker Innovation Hub, 221 Chillicothe St. Often hosts free workshops on entrepenurial topics. Operated by Shawnee State University.
- Columbia Music Arena, 832 Gallia St, ☏ . Th-Sa 8PM-2:30AM.
- 1 Spartan Municipal Stadium.
- 2 Vern Riffe Center for the Arts (VRCFA), 940 Second St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Box Office: M-F 10AM-5PM.
- Shawnee Game Conference (SGC), 940 Second St (held at Shawnee State University). Annually in the Fall. A game industry and game design conference.
- World Championship of Corntoss. It takes place each summer in the nearby Village of South Webster. Teams from around the state and country visit the area on this weekend to take place in this popular sport.
- Southern Ohio Machine Gun Shoot (Minford). Owners of machineguns and spectators gather in June to fire these historic and exotic weapons.
- 1 Shawnee State University Bookstore.
- Hickies Hamburgers.
- 1 Scioto Ribber.
- Williams Restaurant.
- Jade East, 3556 Rhodes Ave, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Excellent Chinese-American cuisine. All food is created by the chefs, egg rolls are hand rolled, soups are created from scratch. Always a good choice
- 1 The Ports City Cafe & Pub, 424 Chillicothe St, ☏ . M-Th 11AM-9PM, F 11AM-12AM, Sa 4PM-midnight. Most signature dishes $7-14.
- Richard Noggins.
- 2 Frank & Steins.
- 3 Party Time Pub.
- Stag Bar.
- 4 Portsmouth Brewing Company, 224 2nd St, ☏ .
The Ramada Inn is downtown near the river. Other chain hotels are located in the north side of the city and in nearby Wheelersburg, east of Portsmouth.
- 1 Holiday Inn Portsmouth, 711 Second Str. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. $135.
- 2 Shawnee Resort & Conference Center, 4404 State Route 125, Portsmouth. In the 63,000-acre Shawnee forest, the Shawnee Resort & Conference Center offers a many vacation attractions and amenities, golfing along Ohio River, indoor or outdoor pool. 65 miles of adjacent hiking trails, ideal for avid hikers or photographers. A cedar and flagstone lodge with 50 rooms, 25 two-bedroom cottages, and the O-Hee-Yuh Restaurant.
|Routes through Portsmouth|
|Columbus ← Chillicothe ←||N S||→ Ashland → Catlettsburg|
|Cincinnati ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ Huntington → Bluefield|