Potchefstroom is a city of 43,000 people (2011) that is part of JB Marks Local Municipality in North West Province. It is a university town with several museums and historical sites.
Early on, Potchefstroom was destined to be an academic city after a series of Anglo-Boer war events ended up making Pretoria the capital of the South African Republic. And today, it is home the tertiary institutional giant, North-West University, along with many other schools.
Potchefstroom is an industrial, service and agricultural growth point of North West province. Industries include steel, food, and chemical processing. The chicken industry is an important agricultural sector.
- 1 Potchefstroom Museum, ☏ . 09:00-16:00 daily. relates the history of the town through four important men who shaped Potchefstroom, Pretoria, and the surrounding area; as well as the Great Trek, the story of the Boers migration through the lands that eventually became South Africa. Also here is the Goetz/Fleischack Museum.
- 2 President Pretorius Museum, Thabo Mbeki Way, ☏ . A Cape-style home, believed to have been built in 1868 by Marthinus Wessel Pretorius, president of the South African Republic and founder of Pretoria.
- 3 NWU Botanical Garden and Art Gallery, ☏ . M-F 10:00-16:00. Plants and art featured on this site with the North-West University. Also on campus is the NWU Gallery and Totius House Museum.
- 4 Dell Cheetah Centre, Vaal Rock, Parys, ☏ . Tours offered M-Sa at 10:00 or 14:00,. Guided tours of cheetahs in their sanctuary habitat. R 120 Adult, R 60 Child.
- Old Fort and Cemetery. An earthwork quadrilateral, c. 1881, west of the Potch–Klerksdorp rail line and south of the main Potch–Klerksdorp road. British soldiers built the fort during the Anglo-Boer War in 1880, and were besieged by the Boers for 95 days. A number of soldiers and civilians who died during the siege are buried in the adjoining cemetery.
- South African National Artillery Memorial. The national memorial site, on Ventersdorp Road in Kanonierspark, for all artillery soldiers who died in combat during World War II.
- 1 OPM Prozesky Bird Sanctuary. Daily 06:00-18:00. A marsh where you can look for birds and perhaps otter.
- 1 Sunset Manor Guest House Potchefstroom, 4 Kanaal St, ☏ . Pool, free breakfast, wifi, a/c. Very private. R 862.