The Prairies and Lakes Region is located in the north central part of Texas. It is home to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, the forth largest metropolitan area in the United States. This region also has a beautiful countryside with ranches, "bed and breakfasts", and many recreational lakes. Whether you're looking for the excitement of a big town (shopping, dining, nightlife), or for a more leisurely time in the rural areas, you'll find it here in the Prairies and Lakes Region.
- Cross Timbers - from the Oklahoma border west of Lake Texoma to southeast of Fort Worth, including areas north, west, and southwest of the Metroplex.
- Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex - wedged between the Cross Timbers and the Blackland Prairie, includes Dallas and Tarrant Counties.
- Blackland Prairie - from the Oklahoma border east of Lake Texoma to just north of Austin, covers the northeast, east, and south sides of the Metroplex.
- Post Oak Savannah - from the edge of the Piney Woods down into the cradle between Austin and Houston.
- Addison - Over 170 restaurants in 4 square miles (10sqkm).
- Arlington - Amusement parks and the Texas Rangers. "Fun Central"
- Bryan-College Station - Brazos Valley. Home to Texas A&M University.
- Denton - University town with a vibrant music scene and easy access to the Texas Motor Speedway.
- Dallas - The Arts, the dining, the nightlife... Dallas has it all.
- Fort Worth - "Where the West begins".
- Gonzales - "The Birthplace of Texas Independence" Historical sites, festivals, good eats, and shopping
- Irving - Home of the Las Colinas Urban Development Center, and (until 2009) the Dallas Cowboys.
- Mesquite - The Mesquite Championship Rodeo.
- Waco - Cattle, cotton, corn, collegians, and culture.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
Many rivers and lakes are in this area. Camping and RV'ing is very popular here.
- Monolithic Dome Institute Open House, 177 Dome Park Place, Italy, Texas, ☎ . Many of the buildings and features at the Institute complex will be open for viewing. Refreshments will be served. Free.