The Prairies and Lakes Region is located in the north central part of Texas. It is home to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States. This region also has a beautiful countryside with ranches, "bed and breakfasts", and many recreational lakes. Whether you're looking for the excitement of a big town (shopping, dining, nightlife), or for a more leisurely time in the rural areas, you'll find it here in the Prairies and Lakes Region.
- Cross Timbers - from the Oklahoma border west of Lake Texoma to southeast of Fort Worth, including areas north, west, and southwest of the Metroplex.
- Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex - wedged between the Cross Timbers and the Blackland Prairie, includes Dallas and Tarrant Counties.
- Blackland Prairie - from the Oklahoma border east of Lake Texoma to just north of Austin, covers the northeast, east, and south sides of the Metroplex.
- Post Oak Savannah - from the edge of the Piney Woods down into the cradle between Austin and Houston.
- 1 Addison - Over 170 restaurants in 4 square miles (10sqkm).
- 2 Arlington - Amusement parks and the Texas Rangers. "Fun Central"
- 3 Bastrop - Home of Texas' Lost Pines.
- 4 Bryan-College Station - Brazos Valley. Home to Texas A&M University.
- 5 Denton - University town with a vibrant music scene and easy access to the Texas Motor Speedway.
- 6 Dallas - The Arts, the dining, the nightlife... Dallas has it all.
- 7 Fort Worth - "Where the West begins".
- 8 Gonzales - "The Birthplace of Texas Independence" Historical sites, festivals, good eats, and shopping
- 9 Irving - Home of the Las Colinas Urban Development Center, and (until 2009) the Dallas Cowboys.
- 10 Mesquite - The Mesquite Championship Rodeo.
- 11 Waco - Cattle, cotton, corn, collegians, and culture.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 crosss this area from 1:40PM local time. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico to enter the US at Del Rio then through Texas into Arkansas.
Many rivers and lakes are in this area. Camping and RV'ing is very popular here.
- 1 Monolithic Dome Institute Open House, 177 Dome Park Place, Italy, Texas, ☏ . Many of the buildings and features at the Institute complex will be open for viewing. Refreshments will be served. Free.