Predeal is a resort town in the Transylvania region of Romania, in Brașov County. An important mountain resort, Predeal is located on the Prahova Valley and is surrounded by four massifs: Postăvarul, Piatra Mare, Bucegi, and Baiului. The name is derived from the Slavic word "predel", which means "border", as here was the border crossing between Wallachia and Austria-Hungary before 1918. In the late years the town has known a remarkable boom in construction, with many well-off people from all over the country, having a mountain retreat in Predeal.
Predeal is the highest town in Romania with an altitude between 1033m-1110m.
Wilhelm de Wied, Prince of Albania, died here in 1945.
Predeal is very easy to reach, from Brașov, continue on DN1 road towards Bucharest, after 25 km you will arrive at Predeal. From Bucharest, continue towards Ploiești on DN1 road, and after leaving Ploiești, continue along DN1 road towards Brașov.
The town is walkable. There are also taxis at the train station, though they are quite expensive.
The train station is in the centre of the town. Buses (from Brașov and Bucharest) also stop here.
If you are interested in Romanian history and culture, you can view several large and beautiful interwar-period villas in the town (though most of them are in a state of disrepair), and an old monastery. However, there are no outstanding attractions for the common tourist. Most people come to ski, hike, or just relax.
There is a tourist info booth on the main street (close to the central church), look for a circle-shaped glass building.
Close to Predeal there are some nice natural landscapes and picnic areas, such as Cheile Râșnoavei or Trei Brazi.
- Ski on one of the five ski slopes in Predeal
- There are many hiking trails into the Piatra Mare, Baiului, Bucegi mountain ranges
- You can go to clubs like "The Office" and "Rozmarin" or shop at one of the shops in Predeal
There are some stores in Predeal, like Calinda and O'neil on the main road (DN 1).
- Hotel & Restaurant Dragului, Bulevardul Mihail Săulescu 28,, ☏ . daily 08ː00-23ː00. Quite a variety of main courses and desserts.
- Hotel & Restaurant Roua, Strada Nicolae Balcescu (Exit DN1 towards Cioplea, pass the CFR Bridge, then make a left turn to Nicolae Balcescu Street.The Restaurant is on the left side.).
- Sunset Villas, Str. Trei Brazi nr. 29 - 30, ☏ . The 4-star Sunset Villas offers all-inclusive packages that include all-you-can-eat-and-drink meals, organized entertainment activities (hiking, picnics, evening dance programs, various indoor games such as mime and contests) and excursions to surrounding areas: the castles, monasteries, museums and monuments that are within 150km/day (with van) and mountain walks of all degrees of difficulty. Additional programs for a fee (ATV, paintball, climbing).
- Complex Hotelier Eden, Strada Neagoe Basarab 7, ☏ . Here you'll find a spa and restaurant/bar that serves breakfast. You can light a fire in your fireplace if it gets cold. 145 leu.
- Pensiunea Restaurant Speranta, Strada Trei Brazi 60, ☏ . Cozy establishment.
- Vila Brad, Strada Timiş 15 (or 19), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. It sits pretty high up so you have a good look at stuff.