Przemyśl (German: Proemsel; Ukrainian: Перемишль, Peremyshľ) is a town in southeastern Poland in the Subcarpathia region. The town has a picturesque location at the foot of the hill surrounding the town, only a few kilometers away from the Ukrainian border.
Przemyśl owes its long and rich history to the advantages of its geographic location. The city lies in the Przemyśl Gate, an area connecting mountains and lowlands, with easy communication and fertile soil. It also lies on the navigable San river. Important trade routes passed through Przemyśl and ensured the city's importance.
Przemyśl is the second oldest town in southern Poland, after Kraków. It appears to have been founded as early as the 8th century.
- 1 Tourist information, ul. Grodzka 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. High season (15 Apr - 15 Oct): Mon-Fri: 9:00 - 17:00, Sat-Sun: 10:00 - 18:00. Low season (16 Oct - 14 Apr): Mon-Fri: 9:00 - 17:00, Saturday: 9:00 - 14:00, Sunday closed.. Souvenir shop included. Free brochures and maps available as well as free WiFi and a computer to use.
Przemyśl sees daily trains from Kraków, Warsaw, Poznań and an overnight train all the way from Szczecin. From Kraków the travel time is 3,5 hours and tickets are available from 45 zł. Slower indirect trains can be cheaper. From the regional capital Rzeszów there are many connections to Przemyśl. Tickets cost 10,50 zł for TLK trains and 22 zł for IC trains. The travel time from Rzeszów should be around 1,5 hours or a bit less.
A direct service from Kiev via Lviv in Ukraine with simplified border controls taking place on the train has its final stop in Przemyśl. The travel time from Kiev is 7,5 to 9,5 hours. From Lviv the train takes 2 to 3 hours to arrive in Przemyśl. There are many more connections from Lviv than from Kiev.
- 1 Przemyśl railway station (Przemyśl Główny), plac Legionów 1. Main station
The city centre is small and manageable by foot.
- 1 Castle. Built by Casimir III the Great in the 14th century.
- Reformed Franciscan monastery.
- Rynek square.
- 2 Franciscan Church, Franciszkańska 2A. Built in baroque style
- 3 Uniate Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (Corner of Asnyka and Katedralna streets). Former Jesuit church, now a Uniate cathedral with a nice iconostasis
- 4 Carmelite Church of St. Theresa. 17th century late-Renaissance church
- 5 Cathedral, Katedralna 1.
- 6 New Synagogue, Słowackiego 15.
- 7 Military Cemetery. Victims of the biggest WWI battles are buried here.
- 8 Kopiec Tatarski, ul. Przemysława. Located on a hill this place provides one of the best views over Przemyśl. According to the legend the small artificial hill on top of the hill was made by the Tatars as a grave of their leader that got killed in a fight. Free.
- 9 Jewish Cemetery, ul. Słowackiego.
- 10 The National Museum Branch in Przemyśl (Muzeum Narodowe Ziemi Przemyskiej), pl. Berka Joselewicza 1, ☏ . 10 zł, reduced 5 zł, Thursday free.
- 11 The Museum of Bells and Pipes (Clock Tower), ul. Władycze 3, ☏ . 10 zł, reduced 5 zł, Tuesday free.
- 12 Museum of the History of Przemyśl (Muzeum Historii Miasta Przemyśla), Rynek 9, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10 zł, reduced 5 zł, Wednesday free.
- 13 Archdiocesan Museum (Muzeum Archidiecezjalne im. św. Józefa Sebastiana Pelczara Biskupa), plac Katedralny 2, ☏ .
- Archeological Museum.
- 14 Castle and park in Krasiczyn, Krasiczyn 179, Przemyśl (10km west of Przemyśl city centre, using road 28), ☏ . One of the present day cultural highlights of the region. It is often classified as one of the greatest Renaissance edifices in Poland and as one of the most beautiful castles in Europe. This castle was built by the Krasicki family in the 16th and 17th century. Nowadays it also houses a hotel and restaurant. 15 zł (13 zł reduced) for a guided tour. Tours start every hour. There is an extra ticket of 5zł (3zł reduced) for the torture room and clock tower each.
- 15 Wooden Greek Catholic church, Kruhel Wielki, in the center of the village (3,5km southwest of the city centre). This wooden Greek catholic church was built in 1630 and got renovated a few years ago. It is one of the oldest examples of this type in the country.
- 16 Kalwaria Pacławska (25km south of Przemyśl). The sanctuary in Kalwaria Pacławska has received many thousands of pilgrims since it houses the image of Mother of God from Kamianets Podilskyi. The place has earned fame as the Jasna Góra (holy place in Częstochowa) of the Podkarpackie region. The village and surrounding fields and forests are dotted with beautiful Baroque churches and chapels.
- Walking and cycling. The tourism board has worked out several walking and cycling routes in the city and the near surroundings.
- 1 Kino Helias, Wojciecha Budzewskiego 1, ☏ . Located in a mall north of the center.
- 2 Centrum Cinema, ul. S. Konarskiego 9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 Pub Restauracja Melduję Posłusznie, ul. Dworskiego 11, ☏ . 'The Good Soldier Švejk' atmosphere recreated.
- PTTK Przemyśl 'Podzamcze', ul. Waygarta 3, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Very cheap place to stay, dorms and privates. 28 - 51 PLN.
- 1 Schronisko Młodzieżowe PTSM Matecznik, ul. Lelewela 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 17:00, check-out: 10:00. Very cheap place to stay, dorms and privates, member of Hostelling International so discounts with IYHF cards apply. 28 - 60 PLN.
There are several hotels in Przemyśl, city council website has a list of them with prices. 
- 2 Hotel Gloria-Basen Spa, Sybiraków 31, ☏ . Spa hotel, located about a kilometre outside the city centre.