Pǔ'ěr (普洱), previously known as Sīmáo (思茅), is a prefecture-level city in Southern Yunnan. It has been a center for trade, mainly with Myanmar, for centuries. In 2010, it had a population of more than 2.5 million people.
- 1 Pu'er Simao Airport (普洱思茅机场), 123 Siting Road, Simao District (思茅区思亭路123号) (there is no dedicated airport-city bus, but the airport is close to the city center so a taxi ride to your hotel should be relatively cheap), ☏ . A small airport with only a few flights per week. As of October 2022, flights are only available from Changsha, Chengdu. Kunming and Mangshi.
- 2 Pu'er Railway Station (普洱站), Kunming-Mohan Expressway, Simao District (思茅区昆磨高速) (bus nos. 3 and K1 are the main buses connecting the station to the city; there are also special tourist buses operating between the station and several of the city's major tourist attractions). A relatively new station, which opened in late 2021 with the completion of the Kunming-Mohan Railway. Trains from Kunming take 2½ to 3½ hours to reach Pu'er. From Jinghong, the journey time is only about 40 to 50 minutes.
- 3 Pu'er Bus Station (普洱客运站), 148 Zhenxing Avenue, Simao District (思茅区振兴大道148号) (there is a bus stop outside the station, which is served by bus nos. 1, 4 and CX01), ☏ . The city's main long-distance bus station.
- 1 Pu'er Museum (普洱市博物馆), No. 10 Pu'er Culture Center, Binhe Road, Simao District (思茅区滨河路普洱市文化中心10号) (take bus no. 4 and get off at the Pu'er Grand Theatre bus stop), ☏ . 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30, closed on Mondays. Part of a cluster of museums in the same building complex, which also includes the Pu'er Museum of Urban Planning, Science and Technology (普洱市城市规划与科技馆), the Pu'er Art Museum (普洱市美术馆) and the Pu'er Tea Museum (普洱茶博物馆). Free.
- 1 China Pu'er Tea Exhibition Garden (中华普洱茶博览苑), Yingpan Mountain, Yixiang Town, Simao District (思茅区倚象镇营盘山) (take the special tourist bus that departs from outside Pu'er Railway Station), ☏ . 08:30-17:30. Entry tickets are ¥30, battery car tickets are also ¥30.
- 2 Pu'er Sun River National Park (普洱太阳河国家公园), Dakai River Road, Yixiang Town, Simao District (思茅区倚象镇大开河段) (take the special tourist bus that departs from outside Pu'er Railway Station), ☏ . 08:00-18:00. ¥150.
- 3 Pu'er Tea Horse Road Scenic Area (普洱茶马古道旅游景区), Pu'er Avenue, Simao District (思茅区普洱大道) (take the special tourist bus that departs from outside Pu'er Railway Station; you can also get here on bus no. 3), ☏ (enquiries), (complaints), email@example.com. M-Th 08:00-17:30, no entry after 16:30, F-Sa 08:00-18:00, no entry after 17:00. battery car tickets are ¥10, the museum charges ¥60, the eagle show is ¥50, and the lake cruise is ¥30; all-inclusive tickets are also available for ¥80.
The area's best-known product is Pu'er cha, Pu'er tea, a heavily fermented tea packed into flat cakes. These were originally for the horse caravan trade into Tibet and Myanmar. The cakes are embossed with designs, pretty enough that some people hang them as wall ornaments.