Pukë is a town and municipality in northern Albania. The total population is 11,069 (2011 census), in a total area of 505.83 km2. At 838 metres above sea level, the town is one of the highest in elevation in Albania and a well-known ski area. It is 150 km from Albania's capital, Tirana.
In the 20th century, Pukë was expanded as a military base and a centre of Catholic education. The notable Albanian poet Migjeni worked there from 1936 to 1937. The school where he worked as a teacher is a tourist attraction.
- Discover Puka, Pukë, Albania, ☏ , email@example.com. The purpose of this site is to discover natural beauties and promote historical and cultural values.
- Canoeing Drini, Mjedë, Vau Dejës, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The purpose of this site is to discover natural beauties and promote historical and cultural values.
- 1 Buses departing to Tirana and Shkodra. Majority of buses depart from the main city station. This includes buses/furgons to Tirana that leave in the morning hours; the journey lasts for 2½ hours (150 km) and costs 400 lek (2018). There are also direct buses to Shkodra.
- 2 Bus to Durrës. There is a bus that goes to Durrës every day; the journey lasts for 2½ hours (116 km) and costs 500 lek (2018).
- 1 Mount Munella. Mount Munella is known for its diversity of flora and fauna, as well as its mineral-rich soil. Thanks to these features, local and national stakeholders have voiced the request to make this area a natural park to preserve Munella’s peculiarities and make them more accessible to passionate hikers and visitors. With a maximum height of 1996 m above sea level, the massif expands between the valley of the Fan i Madhë River to the northwest and the Fan i Vogel to the southeast, straddling the Municipalities of Puka and Mirdita.
- 2 Mërtur’s Rock. Mount Mërtur is located on the left bank of Koman Lake, in the territory of the Municipality of Fushë Arrëz, Iballë Administrative Unit, and between the villages of Mërtur and Aprripë Guri. The peculiarity of this massif is represented by the steep, rocky peak that reaches 1452 m above sea level, surrounded by forests and alpine pastures.
- 3 Migjeni Museum. The Migjeni school-museum is one of the central points for Puka’s history, dedicated to the priceless contribution of the Albanian poet Millosh Gjergj Nikolla (in art Migjeni) to the development of educational institutions in Puka in 1936 and 1937.
- 4 Sarda Island. The island of Sarda is located in Vau Dejës Lake, about 10 km from the centre of the municipality. The peculiarity of this island is represented by the presence of the remains of the ancient city of Sarda, which towards the end of the 15th century was an important economic and cultural centre of the northern region of present Albania.
- 7 Komani Lake. The artificial lake of Koman, which takes its name from the village on its banks of the same name, is one of the unique beauties in northern Albania. Narrow canyons between sharp mountains and wooded slopes offer travelers a majestic and breathtaking landscape.
- 8 Vau Dejës Lake. Vau Dejës Lake is a few kilometers from the city centre of Shkodra and was built using the reservoir of the Drini river in 1971, with the construction of a hydroelectric plant next to the town of Vau Dejës.
- 9 Fan i Madhë River. Fan i Madh originates in Kryezi, collects the waters of the area around Fushë Arrëz, and then flows through the alpine town and reaches the villages of Gojan and Gjegjan before joining Fan i Vogël south of Rreshen and merging into the Mat River to the east of Milot.
- 10 Gomsiqe River. The Gomsiqe River has its spring in the pastures of Mount Tërbun in Pukë and flows through the villages of Gomsiqe high and Gomsiqe low, from which it takes its name, before reaching the lake of Vau Dejës.
Tourists mostly go visiting other villages near Pukë. During the evenings, you can find the main square of Pukë probably full of people who went for a walk.
Mountaineering is one of the main attractions of Puka district. Puka has a mountaineering team. Many outstanding climbers have emerged from this team. Some of them have participated in international activities, even one of them, Mr. Përparim Laci, was a member of the Albanian team that climbed the Himalayas in 2004.
Hiking. Wonderful walks can be realized in any area of Puka. During your stay in Puka you have the opportunity to walk in the hilly and mountainous relief of this area, which is often interrupted by gorges and canyons, dense forests and meadows, wild birds and animals, streams, waterfalls and beautiful lakes, rare as in Tërbun e LivadhKabash.
Walk on the Lake. Another alternative that deserves attention is the walk on the lake that is realized through small boats on the lake of Koman and Fierza with a length of about 98 km. The natural spectacle and seductive beauties are the companions of this journey surrounded by rocks that fall sharply on the surface of the water. The blue-green color of these waters reflects the forest vegetation of the slopes.
Speleology and trekking. During your vacation you can visit the cave of "Monks" or as it is known in the local language the cave of "Kaurri" about 80 m long divided into two floors. What makes this cave even more special is the entrance from the lake. At the entrance to the cave you can see some old walls built by monks.
Cycling tour. Various mountain cycling tours can be developed through the rivers of this area. There are hundreds of kilometers that pass through the stunning panoramas that the Puka area offers and that remain in the memory of every cyclist with the desire to return to these places and to explore new and unpaved roads.
In Pukë, you can buy traditional food, organic fruit and vegetables, handicrafts, etc.
- Shija e Veriut Cheese - Goat or sheep cheese.
- White Cheese (Djathë i bardhë) - a high-quality, natural local product, derived from the milk of goats or sheep bred in the area of Vau Dejës, Pukë, and Fushë Arrëz.
- Kaçkavall - is a happy combination between tradition and innovation, which have been adopted by some of the cheesemakers.
- Berries - These natural delicacies are collected and processed (mostly by women) in small, family-led laboratories that offer tasty jams, juices, dried fruits, mushrooms, and much-appreciated herb teas.
- Mushrooms - are probably the most renowned product of Puka, Fushë Arrëz, and Vau Dejës in Albania.
- Wildflower Honey - is the most common one in the area.
- Chestnut Honey - The many chestnut trees have always represented an essential resource for the inhabitants of these mountains, enriching honey production too.
- Thyme Honey - is among the most common herbs in the area of Vau Dejës, Puka, and Fushë Arrëz, growing on the many rocky cliffs and providing good raw material for local bees.
- 1 Agroturizem Devin, Qerret i Madh, Pukë, ☏ , email@example.com. Devin Agroturizem is a typical family agri-business turned into Agritourism, which offers a special welcome for local and foreign visitors.
- 2 N’konak Guesthouse, Ymer Puka 01, Pukë, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. N’Konak is the newest guesthouse in the alpine town of Pukë. With its friendly atmosphere and a fascinating mixture between traditional and modern interior design, it offers comfortable accommodation and quality service for ten guests.
- 3 Hani i Perparim Laçit, Lagjja Lacai, Pukë, ☏ , . Hani I Përparim Laçit is a nice place to spend a pleasant weekend.
- Jams and berry juices are ubiquitous in Pukë, Vau Dejës, and Fushë Arrës. Handcrafted with passion by small local businesses, mostly women-led, these delicacies are served in all the restaurants of the area, be it for breakfast or as a quick and energizing 100% local snack.
- Mountain Tea (Çaji Mali), otherwise known as Sheperd’s Tea, is a herb tea made from Sideritis syriaca, a plant found in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Balkans, growing on rocky terroirs at an elevation of over 700 m. Its tea presents a particularly floral and earthy flavour, much appreciated in Albania. Sideritis is used for spicing local dishes and considered one of the most effective natural antioxidants, especially indicated as a remedy for colds and sinusitis.
- Puka Beer - is handicrafted in small quantities from the purest water of the local springs, taking on a typical amber colour and a remarkable taste.
- 1 Hotel Turizmi Puka, SH5 Pukë AL, ☏ .
- N’konak Guesthouse, Pukë, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00.
- 2 Guesthouse Makry, Fshati Kryezi. Guest house Makry has a bar and a garden. Among the facilities of this property are a restaurant, a 24-hour front desk and room service, along with free WiFi throughout the property. Private parking can be arranged at an extra charge.
- 3 Rozafa Ferry, Koman Temal Shkoder, Koman, ☏ .