The name Puttur is said to be derived from muttoor (u as in put, not but) - muttu + ooru. Muttu translates to pearl, ooru to town/city in local Tulu Language. Legend has it that pearls used to grow in the Temple Tank of Shree Mahalingeshwara.
The nearest big city is Mangalore. Frequent public transport buses are available from Mangalore. There is direct deluxe buses available in night from state capital Bangalore. Local train service from - to Mangalore are as under ( 50 km)
Starting station Departure time (Appx) Arriving station Arrival time (Appx)
Mangalore 0615 hrs Puttur 0740 hrs
Puttur 0815 hrs Mangalore 0940 Hrs
Mangalore 1030 hrs Puttur 1145 hrs -To Subrahmanya
Puttur 1400 hrs Mangalore 1520 hrs
Puttur 1940 hrs Mangalore 2055 hrs BANGALORE TRAIN Bangalore City 2035 hrs Puttur 0625 hrs
Puttur 0627 hrs Mangalore 0805 hrs (above train)
Mangalore 1945 hrs Puttur 2050 hrs -To Bangalore
Puttur 2052 hrs Bangalore city 0650 hrs (above train)
The mode of conveyance inside town is by auto (3 wheeler). Point to point service are available from bus stand to Nehru Nagar, Bus Stand to Darbhe-Maril etc..
Mahalingeshwara temple.,Lakshmi Venkatramana Temple,
- campco factory. chocolate factory
Bendru Theertha: This place is roughly around 15 km away from the city. Its one of the rarest places where you can find hot water spring.
arecanut (supari), a little bit of pepper.
1.Hotel Hari Prasad (with three hotels in Bolwar, Dharbe & Near Mahalingeshwar Temple) A nice hotel in the centre of city.
- Hari Prasad Restauants. Branches in ( Bolwar, Dharbe & Near Mahalingeshwar Temple
- Vaibhav Vegetarian, KSRTC Busstand Building.
- Udhayagiri Restauant, Highway Junction.
- Nirmala restaurant near
Town Police station
- Sathya Narayana seafood
KSRTC Bus station building
- Dinesh bar, KSRTC Bus station building
- Pradeep icecream
KSRTC Bus station building
- Town Kitchen, Opp.Busstation, Vittle, ☏ . They charge only Rs.50.00 for lunch with rice, fish curry and chicken kabab. The fish curry is especially tasty as they use dried fish.
Hotels are available in main road. 1. Hotel Super Tower, Opposite KSRTC Bus Stand, visit:http://hotelsupertower.com/ [dead link] 2. Hotel Rama, GL Complex. 3.Be-grow hoilday resorts available in mysore road 9 km from busstand..
- Hindustan Lodge, KSRTC Busstand Building.
- Super Tower Lodge, Opposite KSRTC Bus Stand..
- Hotel Rama, GL Complex..
- Be-grow hoilday resorts, Mysore road 9 km from busstand...
- Udayagiri Residency, Highway Junction.
- Kaveri Lodge, Near petrol station, Mangalore Road, Vittal, ☏ (mobile). Rs. 400.00
Connecting buses are available to Kasaragod, Badiadka, Perla from 08:00 hrs up to 06:00 PM. Buses are available to Mysore, Bangalore. Frequent trips are available to Mangalore