Jamaica is an expansive neighborhood located in eastern Queens. Historically consisting of predominantly black communities, Jamaica now is home to an extremely diverse array of peoples and cultures.
Jamaica is the closest neighborhood to JFK Airport. To get to Jamaica, either take AirTrain JFK directly to Jamaica Station, a $5 fare, or as a cheaper alternative, an MTA Q10 bus going from the airport, which charges a regular $2.25 fare (Note that this leaves you on the western edge of Jamaica. You can take the J or Z trains from there one stop to Sutphin Boulevard or two stops to Jamaica Center) The Q3 bus goes to Hillside Avenue in northern Jamaica.
By Long Island Rail Road
1 Jamaica Station at 93-02 Sutphin Blvd is a major transportation hub for the Long Island Rail Road and is one of the busiest train stations in the country. It is served by every LIRR line except for the Port Washington Branch.
Jamaica is served by the E, F, J, and Z trains on the New York City Subway.
- 1 King Manor Museum, 150-03 Jamaica Ave, ☎ . The historic home of Rufus King, a signer of the U.S. Constitution. The house exhibits the story of Jamaica Village in the early 1800s.
- St. John's University, 8000 Utopia Parkway. A Catholic private university.
- Afrikan Poetry Theatre, 17603 Jamaica Ave. Hosts classes, activist and cultural programs, musical performances, and produces original plays.
- Black Spectrum Theatre, 11907 Merrick Blvd. Creates theatre and film that focuses on educating African American youth on racial issues, as well as highlights emerging Black artists.
- Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning, 16104 Jamaica Ave. The heart of Jamaica's art culture, organizing workshops, classes, exhibits, and performances in the visual and performing arts.
- Rufus King Park Take a walk and watch locals play soccer in the field.
- Jamaica Avenue is the neighborhood's main thoroughfare, with a plethora of shops. The street is very pedestrian friendly, and items are typically cheap.
- Comfort Inn & Suites JFK Airport, 144-36 153rd Ln, toll-free: .
- Days Inn, 144-26 153rd Ct, ☎ .
- Howard Johnson Express Inn at JFK Airport, 153-95 Rockaway Blvd, ☎ .
- Jamaica YMCA, 89-25 Parsons Blvd, ☎ .
- JFK Inn, 154-10 South Conduit Ave, ☎ .
- Super 8 Motel, 139-01 Jamaica Ave, ☎ .
- Best Western JFK Airport, 144-25 153rd Ln, ☎ .
- Courtyard by Marriott JFK Airport, 145-11 North Conduit Ave., ☎ .
- [dead link]Double Tree Hotel JFK Airport, 135-30 140th St, ☎ .
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 156-08 Rockaway Blvd., ☎ .
- [formerly dead link]Hampton Inn, 144-10 135th Ave, ☎ .
- Hilton Garden Inn Queens/JFK Airport, 148-18 134th St, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 153-70 South Conduit Ave, ☎ .
- International JFK Hotel, 144-02 135th Ave, ☎ .
- JFK Plaza Hotel, 151-20 Baisley Blvd, toll-free: .
- [dead link]Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, 132-26 South Conduit Dr, ☎ .
There is a lot of drug use in the area (crack, heroin, etc.), so be careful. Pimps and prostitutes galore, too.
|Routes through Jamaica|
|Midtown Manhattan ← Forest Park ←||W E||→ END|
|Financial District ← Forest Park ←||W E||→ END|