Rønne is a city of 14,000 people (2022) in Bornholm, Denmark. With its cobbled streets, half-timbered houses and interesting museums, it attracts visitors mainly from Denmark, Germany, Sweden and Poland.
As Bornholm's capital and the only town with airport and major ferry harbour, Rønne is the only entry point for Bornholm from the rest of Denmark, Sweden or Germany (except the small passenger ferry from Kołobrzeg in Poland to Nexø at the east coast). For details, see Bornholm.
By car one will reach Rønne on nearly every road from every point on Bornholm. Road 159 leads to the north (Hasle, Allinge-Sandvig, to the east one can take the road via Østerlars to Gudhjem or via Almindingen and Østermarie to Svaneke. Road 38 runs through the southern part of the island via Aakirkeby to Nexø.
All bus routes are starting and ending in Rønne. Bus service by BAT. Some routes run same tour but in opposite direction.
- Route 1/4: Hasle - Olsker - Allinge - Gudhjem - Østerlars - Østermarie - Almindingen - Vestermarie
- Route 2: Nyker - Klemensker - Hammershus - Allinge-Sandvig
- Route 3/5: Østerlars - Østermarie - Listed - Svaneke - Aarsdale - Nexø - Snogebæk - Pedersker - Aakirkeby - Rønne Airport
- Route 6: Nylars - Lobbæk - Aakirkeby - Nexø
- Route 7/8: Rønne - Hasle - Vang - Hammershus - Sandvig - Allinge - Gudhjem - Listed - Svaneke - Joboland - Aarsdale - Nexø - Balka - Snogebæk - Pederskirke - Aakirkeby - Arnager - Flughafen Rønne.
- Route 9: Rønne - Aakirkeby - Almindingen - Østermarie - Østerlars (Middelaldersenter) - Gudhjem - Bornholms Kunstmuseum
- Route 10: Rønne - Nyker - Klemensker - Hasle - Bus stop to Jons Kapell - Vang - Sandvig - Allinge
There are four cycle paths stretching from Rønne over the island
- 10 is Bornholms national cycleroute, it runs next to the coastline around the whole island (about 100 km)
- 21 Nylars - Lobbæk - Aakirkeby - Nexø, 32 km
- 22 Vestermarie - Almindingen - Årsdale
- 23 Nyker - Klemensker - Helligdommen (near Gudhjem), 19 km
By foot - the old town is not far away from the harbour.
By car - parking is possible nearly everywhere in the old town, good places are Snellemarket, Store Torv or Ellekongstræde.
The town has some quaint cobbled streets and low-timbered houses. Two streets of particular interest are the Laksegade and the Storegade, which contain many historic houses which were once the homes and trade buildings of merchants and noblemen.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Bornholms Forsvarsmuseum (Defence museum), Arsenalvej 8, ☏ , email@example.com. It is housed in a round tower with walls 3.5 m (11 feet) thick known as Kastellet or the citadel. Built in 1744 for the town's defence, there was never any occasion for it to be used. The museum has numerous artefacts relating to military history such as guns, blades, bombs and uniforms.
- 2 Erichsens Gård, Laksegade 7, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Built in 1806 and now a museum.
- 3 Bornholms Museum, Sankt Mortensgade 29, ☏ , email@example.com. The Bornholm Museum offers an insight into the history of Rønne and the island of Bornholm, from the Paleolithic era to the modern age, including the occupation during World War II. The museum houses a number of Nordic Bronze Age and Iron Age artefacts relating to the island and has a Mjolnir, discovered in Bornholm but now housed in the National Museum of Denmark. It also has a notable collection of Roman coins, pottery and paintings.
- The Rønne Lighthouse, a slender white-painted octagonal tower in cast iron, stands on the waterfront not far from the church. Constructed in 1880, it was decommissioned in 1989.
- Skt. Nicolaj Kirke (St Nicolas's Church), with its distinctive tower, is part of the Diocese of Copenhagen and in its present form was enlarged and fully refurbished in 1918. It stands on the site of an earlier church or chapel from the 13th century of which some sections can still be seen.
- Store Torv, the central square, was used for military parades.
- Several notable buildings lie in the heart of the town, including the Rønne Public Library, the Nordeabank and old merchant/noble warehouses and residences. The neo-classical Kommandantgården was built in 1846 and now a ceramics museum. The Amtmandsgårde is located at Storegade 36.
- The Toldboden is a merchant warehouse, built in 1624, and is one of Rønne's oldest half-timbered buildings. The Torhus building, at the side of the square, was built in 1834 and is the former town hall, courthouse and jail.
- Rønne Theatre built in 1823 is Denmark's oldest provincial theatre still in active use.
- Hovedvagten at Søndergade 12 was built as a guard house in 1744 with bricks from Hammershus which was being demolished at the time. It is the oldest brick house in the town.
- The Methodist Church with another distinctive tower was built 1917-1918 and consecrated 6 January 1918.
- Another sightworthy building in the centre of Rønne is the Baptist Church which was built in 1888
- 1 Antoinette strand, Antoinettevej 2. In the north of town, next to Nordskov camping.
- 2 Galløkken strand.
- 3 Nørrekås strand, Nordre Kystvej. Small beach nearby Hotel Griffen and the marina.
- 4 Onsbæk strand.
- 1 Kvickly, Nordre Kystvej 28 (Snellemark Centret), ☏ . M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa Su 08:00-18:00. Bakery opens at 07:00.
- 2 SuperBrugsen, Søndergårdsalle 2, ☏ .
- 1 Knirkeline, Snellemark 41, ☏ . Bakery and cafe. Opens early so a good place to have breakfast if you arrive early
- 2 Selma's Home Cooking, Tornegade 6, ☏ . M-Sa from 17:30, Su closed. Thai, Indian and Danish cuisine. 110 kr main courses.
- 3 Gustav, Store Torv 8 (at the square), ☏ . 09:30-22:00. In the summer Gustav has tables in the middle of the square. Free WiFi.
- 1 Nordskov Camping, Antoinettevej 2, ☏ .
- 2 Galløkken Strand Camping, Strandvejen 4, ☏ .
- 3 Danhostel Rønne, Arsenalvej 12, ☏ .
- 4 Det Lille Hotel, Ellekongstræde 2B, 3700 Rønne, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5 Hotel Griffen, Nordre Kystvej 34, 3700 Rønne, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 6 Radisson Blu Fredensborg, Strandvejen 116, 3700 Rønne, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 7 Sverres Hotel, Snellemark 2 (close to the ferry harbour), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Small hotel with a charming courtyard and garden. 650 kr.