Rancho Cucamonga is a city founded in 1977. It is made up of 3 districts called Cucamonga, in the south, Etiwanda, in the north east, and Alta Loma, in the north west. Sometimes these areas will be referred to as independent and sometimes the three areas will be lumped together under the umbrella of "Rancho Cucamonga." Locals may refer to the whole area as just "Cucamonga" or, more commonly, just "Rancho."
There are several ways to get in to Rancho Cucamonga. If you are driving, the east and west highways include Route 66 (here named Foothill Blvd) and Baseline. Most of the main north and south bound streets run several cities south, on up to the base of the San Gabriel mountains. Interstate 15 runs north and south along the eastern border, I-10 runs east-west on the south side and the 210 freeway passes through northern Rancho Cucamonga, also known as Alta Loma.
The Omnibus system has regular hours and routes through most of the city.
There is a bike/pedestrian path that passes through much of the town. Much of the trail is paved and painted and fairly well maintained. If followed to its extremes, this path can take you from the western side to the eastern and back.
Victoria Gardens, a planned mall, is regarded as a downtown district and features a cinema, a food court, restaurants, and activities.
Throughout the summer the city of Rancho Cucamonga offers free movies in public parks. The movies start around sundown and are sometimes preceded by a performance by a local band. The locations and times have been known to change. Check local websites for most current times and venues.
There are many parks scattered throughout the city. The parks usually contain the usual playground-type equipment. Some parks have larger sporting arenas. Redhill Park, at Carnelian and Baseline, has multiple sports fields, an amphitheater, and a man-made lake being the home to ducks and turtles.
- Rancho Cucamonga Quakes. Minor league baseball team that is a Class-A Advanced affiliate of the Los Angeles Dodgers that plays at LoanMart Field.
- North Etiwanda Preserve. A nature preserve north of Rancho Cucamonga. Features over 3 miles of trails, including waterfalls and streams.
The stretch of Foothill Blvd. through Rancho Cucamonga has most of the big retail stores you would want, from Best Buy to Target to The Men's Warehouse. Also, many "mom and pop" stores can be found through Rancho Cucamonga. Dr. Strange Records, for example, can be found here with a large selection of punk music that might be hard to find offline.
- Victoria Gardens. The Victoria Gardens Mall is an outdoor mall offering the usual shopping opportunities (Forever 21, Macy's, Lids, etc.), an AMC movie theater, and a large Bass Pro Shop. Also included is the usual mall food court in addition to some sit-down dining locations (California Pizza Kitchen, Johnny Rockets, and The Cheesecake Factory, to name a few).
- Best Western Heritage Inn, 8179 Spruce Ave, ☏ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Courtyard Ontario Rancho Cucamonga, 11525 Mission Vista Dr., ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 9589 Milliken Ave, ☏ .
- TownePlace Suites Ontario Airport, 9625 Milliken Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- Holiday Inn Express Rancho Cucamonga, 9589 Milliken Ave, ☏ . Join us at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Rancho Cucamonga, California near Ontario Airport and enjoy spacious accommodations, meeting rooms and value vacation packages.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 11433 Mission Vista Dr. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. An all suite hotel equipped with full kitchens and free high-speed Internet. Complimentary amenities include a hot breakfast and a light dinner with beverages (Monday-Thursday).
- New Kansan, 9300 Foothill Blvd, ☏ . One of the old motels along Route 66. Palm trees along its west side have blown in the wind for decades. With rumors of famous visitors of yester-years, the New Kansan is a fun little piece of unseen history.
|Routes through Rancho Cucamonga|
|Los Angeles ← Ontario ←||W E||→ Fontana → San Bernardino|
|Barstow ← Hesperia ←||N S||→ Ontario → San Diego|
|Pasadena ← Upland ←||W E||→ Fontana → San Bernardino|
|Santa Monica ← Upland ←||W E||→ Fontana → Barstow|