Ontario is in San Bernardino County and the Southern California region of California, more than 35 miles east of Los Angeles. From a traveler's perspective, Ontario is noteworthy mainly as the home of a large mall and the Ontario International Airport, a less crowded alternative to LAX and the main airport serving the Inland Empire.
- 1 LA/Ontario International Airport (ONT IATA). is the regional airport for commercial flights serving the Inland Empire and the eastern part of the greater Los Angeles area. It is less busier and quieter than LAX. The airport is located 2 mi (3.2 km) east of Ontario's Business District off of I-10 at the "Archibald Ave/Ontario Airport" (Exit #55/55A) and the "Haven Ave" (Exit #56) exits.
Currently there are only two terminals for commercial flights numbered 2 & 4:
- Terminal 1: The USO is in the (old) Terminal 1 building for military personnel transiting into or out of the area and the International arrivals terminal is in a separate building for international flights from Mexico and Taiwan. There is a free shuttle bus from the old terminal 1 and international arrivals to Terminal 2 & 4.
- Terminal 2: Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air (Gates 205 & 206), Aeromexico (Departures at Gate 204), Delta/Delta Connection (Gate 208), Frontier (Gate 210), United/United Express (Gates 201-203), Volaris (Departures); China Airlines (Service to/from Taipei beginning Spring 2018)
- Terminal 4: American Airlines (Gates 408 & 410) and Southwest (Gates 401-407)
- 2 Car Rental Terminal ... located at 3450 E Airport Dr in the NE Corner of the airport grounds at E Airport Dr & N Haven. From Terminals 2 & 4 there is a frequent and free shuttle bus going over to the consolidated car rental terminal to pick up a rental car. If renting from Fox they will send their shuttle to pick up customers at the consolidated car rental terminal instead of the airline terminals. For a better rate on car rentals it is best to shop around and reserve a car online or over the phone PRIOR to arrival. Having a private car is the BEST way to get around locally and for going out to remote locales such as Joshua Tree.
By public transit, OmniTrans Rt#80 goes north from the airport towards Chaffey College in Rancho Cucamonga along Vineyard, Carnelian St and E 19th via the Ontario Convention Center. The #81 bus passes by the east side of the airport grounds while traveling between Chino Transit Center & Chaffey college along Haven (via Ontario Mills Mall) & E Riverside Dr. This bus does not serve the airport terminals and the East Ontario Metrolink Station (nearest Metrolink Station at Haven & E Francis).
Ontario is located along Interstate 10 (I-10), west of the Interstate 10 & 15 junction, approximately 37 mi east of Los Angeles (39 min), 24 mi (25 min) west of San Bernardino, 71 mi (1 hr) west of Palm Springs,and 114 mi (2hr 14min) northeast of San Diego (off of Interstate 15):
- From Los Angeles, simply take I-10 (San Bernardino Fwy) East. If coming from Palm Springs and San Bernardino go west on I-10. Ontario is accessed from exits #49 ("Central Ave") through #59 ("Etiwanda Ave") along I-10. Ontario does not have a clearly defined downtown except the neighborhood NE of the intersection of N Euclid Ave & E Holt as that is where city hall and other city government functions are located at. To get there, exit off at the N Euclid Ave (CA-83)/Upland off ramp at Exit 51 and go south along N Euclid Ave To E Holt. Likewise one can also go east on CA-Hwy 60 which goes east-west along the south side of town. From CA-Hwy 60 (Pomona Fwy) Ontario is accessed from Exits #34 ("Mountain Ave") through Exit #41 ("Milliken Ave")
- From San Diego go north on I-15 North to SR-60 at exit 106 or the next one up at I-10 at Exit #109. Go west on CA-60 or I-10 to get to Ontario
Confusingly, Ontario has two train stations. Firstly, there's 3 East Ontario station which is served daily by the Metrolink Riverside Line, connecting with Union Station in downtown Los Angeles. Then there's 4 Ontario Amtrak which sees trains just three times a week, when the Sunset Limited between Los Angeles and New Orleans (with through-cars towards Chicago on the Texas Eagle) make a shot stop there.
- 5 BoltBus, (bus stop) Carl's Jr @ 1625 E 4th St. (Parking lot between Carl's Jr and Teriyaki House, near E 4th & Baker.), toll-free: . Service from Las Vegas and Barstow. Buses going towards Los Angeles can only drop off passengers at this location and only pick-up on the outbound trip towards Las Vegas. $1 if lucky; up to $35.
- 6 Greyhound & Curceros-USA, depot at 888 S Indian Hill Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711 (NE of the intersection of Indian Hill Blvd & American in neighboring Claremont, south of Exit #47 from I-10), ☎ , toll-free: . Greyhound operates along Interstate 10 (San Bernardino, Phoenix, Tucson & El Paso); I-10/I-15 (San Bernardino, Barstow & Las Vegas).
- 7 Tufesa, depot at 642 E Francis St (SW of the intersection E Francis & Campus), ☎ . Connects Los Angles to Sacramento (via Bakersfield, Fresno, etc); to Salt Lake City (via Barstow, Las Vegas, St George, etc); to Hermosillo (via Phoenix, Tucson, Nogales); to San Francisco Bay Area (Stockton, San Jose, San Francisco & Oakland); and to Tijuana (via Santa Ana, San Diego/San Ysidro). They also have additional depot in Fontana at 16803 Valley Blvd Suite C.
The best way to get around Ontario is by car. Car rental agencies are located at the airport.
- 1 Museum of History and Art, 225 South Euclid Ave (S Euclid Ave & E Transit St, One block north of Ontario Amtrak), ☎ . W-Su noon-4PM.
- 2 Ontario Convention Center, 2000 E Convention Center Way (Near Airport at E Convention Center Way & Holt Blvd, north of the railroad tracks from Airport.), ☎ . The convention center hosts various events and exhibitions throughout the year such as the NACAC Annual College Fair. It was also the filming location for Yes Man (2008) and Due Date (2010) and for various TV commercials.
- 1 Scandia, 1155 S. Wanamaker Ave (Wanamaker Ave & E Wall St. E Jurupa St exit from I-15 in Ontario (Exit #108)), ☎ . Amusement park with rides and mini-golf.
- 1 Ontario Mills Mall, 1 Mills Circle (NW of the I-10 & I-15 junction. Go north on Millikan Ave from I-10 or go west on 4th Ave from I-15), ☎ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM, Su 10AM-8PM. One of the largest single-story malls on the West Coast, abundant in stores.
- Ayres Hotel and Suites - Ontario Convention Center, 1945 E. Holt Blvd., ☎ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. Ontario's Only Full Service Upscale Boutique Hotel - Offering complimentary full, hot breakfast; parking; wireless internet & shuttle service. In-room microwave and refrigerator.
- Best Western Country Inn, 2359 S Grove Ave, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Best Western Innsuites Hotel & Suites Ontario, 3400 Shelby St, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Best Western Ontario Airport, 209 N Vineyard Ave, ☎ , fax: .
- California Inn, 1150 North Grove Ave, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: CaliforniaInn@Gmail.com.
- Days Inn Ontario - Airport, 1405 E. 4th St, ☎ .
- Fairfield Inn Ontario, 3201 East Centrelake Dr, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM.
- Holiday Inn Express Rancho Cucamonga, 9589 Milliken Ave,Rancho Cucamonga, ☎ .
- Motel 6 Ontario Airport, 1560 East 4th St, ☎ , fax: .
- Ontario Airport Marriott, 2200 E Holt Blvd, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Ramada Ontario Airport Hotel, 1841 East G St, ☎ . Our Ontario, California hotel offers a convenient location, free wireless internet, complimentary breakfast, outdoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi suites.
- Red Roof Inn Ontario Airport, 1818 E. Holt Blvd (two blocks from Ontario Convention Center, at the entrance to the Ontario Airport), ☎ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Residence Inn Ontario Airport, 2025 Convention Center Way, ☎ , toll-free: , fax: .
- Rodeway Inn Ontario Mills Mall, 4075 E. Guasti Rd, ☎ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Offers recently renovated spacious rooms. Free high-speed wireless Internet access and free local calls, Pay-Per-View movies. In-room microwave and refrigerator.
- Sheraton Ontario Airport, 429 N Vineyard Ave, ☎ .
- Holiday Inn Ontario (Ontario, CA Hotel), 2155 East Convention Center Way.
|Routes through Ontario|
|Los Angeles ← Pomona ←||W E||→ Palm Springs → Tucson|
|Los Angeles ← Upland ←||W E||→ Rancho Cucamonga → San Bernardino|
|Barstow ← Rancho Cucamonga ←||N S||→ Corona → San Diego|
|Los Angeles ← Chino ←||W E||→ Rubidoux → Riverside|