Raseborg was created in 2009 by consolidating the municipalities of Ekenäs, Karis and Pohja into a single "town". The majority (66 %) of the population speaks Swedish. A medieval castle of Raseborg located in the former municipality Snappertuna gives name to the new municipality.
- 1 Ekenäs (Tammisaari). Ekenäs is a coastal town at the edge of an archipelago, part of which is the Ekenäs Archipelago National Park. It has a pretty old town consisting of narrow streets of wooden houses. Ekenäs guest marina at 59° 58' 41" 23° 26' 10" is large for the size of the city and known for it's beauty and good location adjacent to city centre.
- 2 Karis (Karjaa). Karis is a railway junction located on both the Helsinki–Turku and the Hanko–Hyvinkää line. Karis is also your Raseborg trip junction where from you can access Billnäs ironworks by walking a few kilometers north, artisanal and historical Fiskars village by a 20 minute bus ride north and scenic Ekenäs by a 12 minute train connection to the south, towards Hanko.
- 3 Pojo (Pohja). Pojo is one of the birthplaces of Finnish metal industry. The ironworks of Billnäs was founded there around the same time as Fiskars ironworks.
- 4 Fiskars Village. Fiskars is known as an idyllic artisanal village destination, and location of the historic Fiskars ironworks. It is a centre of art and industrial and non-industrial design a 20 minute bus ride north of Karis. Fiskars Corporation, the oldest functioning Finnish company, was founded around the Fiskars ironworks in the 17th Century. It has places to stay and dine around the year if you can afford to splurge. There are things to see, and you can buy design, artworks, modern industrial products of known Finnish brands, art and utility glass products, metal wares, clothing, jewelry, ceramics, leather goods, fair trade world products, furniture, handicrafts, artisan beers and graphic works.
- 5 Jussarö (Jussaari). The only Finnish ghost town, 18 km south of Ekenäs, off the coast. Guest marina by the Hanko–Helsinki leg. A waterbus service to Jussarö is available from Baggö Marina, Baggövägen 1275.
- See also: King's Road (Finland)
Karis can be reached by route 51 from Helsinki. It is located about 80 km west from the capital. After another 20 km along route 25 in direction of Hanko you will arrive in Ekenäs. From Turku you can come via highway E18 and route 52, the distance to Ekenäs is about 115 km.
Karis and Ekenäs are connected by rail and bus. From Karis you can take the regular 20 minute bus service to Fiskars around the year. Each place is small enough to be explored on foot comfortably.
The centre of Karis is opposite (north of) the train station. Take the bridge over the railways, use the left fork and continue on Köpmansgatan, which is the shopping street. Instead turn right after crossing for supermarkets. For a walk in a residential area with villas and gardens, the Svartån river and Pumpviken park, walk half a kilometre east (to the right) from the centre, e.g. along Centralgatan or Högbergsgatan. The ridge behind the station is Lojoåsen (Lohjanharju), part of the Salpausselkä terminal moraine left by the Ice Age, separating the Finnish Lakeland from the Gulf of Finland and continuing as the Hanko peninsula to south-west.
- 1 Raseborg castle ruins, Raseborgs slottsväg (Fin: Raaseporin linnantie), Snappertuna, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. May–first half of Jun daily 10:00–17:00; Midsummer's week–first half of Aug 10:00–20:00; rest of Aug and weekends in Sep 10:00–17:00. A pretty medieval castle (from 14th Century). Originally it was located near the sea shore, but due the post-glacial rise of land it eventually lost it's access to the sea and therefore also it's strategic importance. Café Slottsknektens stuga (The Castle Guard's Lodge) near the ruin was open already in 1893 to serve tourists. Apart from offering refreshments, it sells tickets to the castle and provides local information. A beautiful forest path, Kärleksstigen (Lovers’ Walk), leads from the castle ruins to the folk museum "Snappertuna Forngård". Adult €5, children under 12 free.
- 2 Ekenäs Nature Centre, Strandallén, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May 2 to August 31 daily 10:00–15:00, 10:00–18:00 or 10:00–19:00 in peek season (2016). Groups also off season.. Visitor centre for Ekenäs Archipelago National Park. Information on the Baltic Sea and western Uusimaa archipelago. Also activities for children. Free.
- 3 Fiskars museum, Åkerraden 9, Fiskars, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. daily 11:00-17:00. The museum shows life at the Fiskars Ironworks from the 17th century to present days. Adult €5, Discount €3, Under 17 years free.
- 4 Fiskars 1649 exhibition, Fiskarsvägen 22, Fiskars (12 Clock Tower Building). 3 May to 30 Sep daily 10:00–18:00, other times daily 11:00–17:00. The themes of the exhibition are the village's industrial history and to Fiskars Corporation today. Free entrance.
- 5 Jussarö island (Jussaari), Jussarö (Waterbus service from Baggö Marina, Baggövägen 1275), ☏ . Jussarö was a mining city where iron ore was mined once. Between 1967-2005 the island was used by the Finnish Defence Forces. The island's services in season include guest marina services operated from Café Ön, a small shop of some sorts, rent-a-sauna, guided tours and since 2016 also lodging.
- 1 XX Faces Festival, Fiskars Village, Raseborg (20 minute busride from Karjaa bus station or with festival bus (5€) that departs from the Karjaa train station. There are direct Helsinki-Fiskars connections from the Kamppi bus terminal.), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. XX Faces on the first weekend of August 4 - 6. 8. 2017 the XX Faces Festival in Fiskars with its usual unusual mix of all kinds of music and food from home and abroad, Small Faces and combined Family Camping with a swimming beach. Indoors and outdoors venues.
- 2 Raseborgs Festspel (Raseborg Festival), Gullövägen 400, Ekenäs. Series of events at the Raseborg castle, including Raseborgs Summer theater, Midsummer festival, Medieval fair and tournaments in July, etc.
- Fiskars Antique Days, Peltorivi 7 (Old Knivefactory), ✉ email@example.com. A yearly event in July bringing professional antique sellers with their wares and buyers together in Fiskars Thu 7.7 - Sun 10.7.
- Ekenäs Archipelago National Park. Part of the archipelago off Ekenäs is a national park. The larger wooded islands and the general seascape are reachable by taxi boat. A sailboat or sea kayak is ideal to explore all of the archipelago.
- 3 Paddlingsfabriken in Ekenäs, Gullövägen 400, Ekenäs, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Kayak rentals, courses, guided tours in archipelago.
- Raseborg Summer Theater, Raseborgs Slottsväg, ☏ . 2016 piece is The Sound of Music playing from late June to early August
Skiing and hill car in the summertime
- Påminne Ski, Brunkomin rantatie 1, Åminnefors (Towards Pohja from Karis, cannot miss it), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Finland's southernmost ski center 7 km north from Karis owned by Pohja Sport registered non-profit association. Rentals, ski and snowboard instruction and very affordable café with small eats and alcoholic beveratges.
Buy in Ekenäs
- Ekenäs marketplace, Radhustorget, ☏ . Local farmers' and market Wednesdays and Saturdays with fresh fish at good prices from local fishers
- Kungsgatan (It goes up from the Radhustorget / Council House Square). Kungsgatan is Finland's first pedestrian only street and still sided by boutiques of various wares.
Buy in Fiskars
Shoppes in Fiskars sell design, artworks, modern industrial products of known Finnish brands, art and utility glass products, metal wares, clothing, jewelry, ceramics, leather goods, fair trade world products, furniture, handicrafts, artisan beers, graphics and chocolate. There is also a small convenience store.
- 1 Fiskars Shop, Fiskarsintie 22, Fiskars (Clock Tower Building,), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 13 May-31 Aug daily 10:00-18:00, other times daily 11:00-17:00. Company stores of favourite Finnish brands: Fiskars, Arabia, Hackman and Iittala.
- Rekola Brewery and Shop, Peltorivi 7, ☏ . Rekola Brewery and Shop est 2012 offers artisan brews in the heart of Fiskars
- Piazza, Stationsvägen 6, ☏ . 11:00–15:00. Lunch served in the loft restaurant in a building designed by Alvar Aalto. ca €10.
- Pizzeria Catello, Bangatan 65 (200m from the railway station). Mon–Thu 11:00–22:00, Fri–Sat 11:00–24:00 and Sun 11:00-22:00. Excellent pizzeria with a reputation of high quality kebabs and very large and well presented pizzas with reasonable prices.
- [dead link] Ravintola La Colina, Högbergsgatan 20, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Latin American cuisine at reasonable prices
- 1 Köttkontrollen ("the meat checkpoint"), Skolgatan 10 (by the town hall), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W–Th 16:00–21:00, F 16:00–22:00, Sa 11:00–22.00, Su 11:00–20:00 (brunch Sa–Su 11:00–15:00, à la carte in the evening); meat bar F–Sa 18:00–24:00. Restaurant with a local food concept. Short menu but good dishes; vegetarians can choose the halloumi salad and won't leave hungry. Large selection of Fiskars beer. Shop downstairs. €20–35.
- Restaurang KW, Högbergsgatan 12, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11:00–21:00. Later on Fri & Sat. One of the finer dining establishments in Karis. Lunch and à la carte.
- Fiskars Wärdshus Hotel and Restaurant, Fiskarsvägen 14, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Fiskars Wärdshus has been serving travellers in the village since 1836. splurge.
- Art Café Serendipity, Köpmansgatan 30, ☏ . 08:30–24:00. Small eats, drinks, occasional live and recorded music, graphic arts and non-alcoholic possibilities in hearty atmosphere: a second (or first?) living room for many of the youth. Short walk north of Karis centre. The garden is lovely for refreshments in in the summer and live fire in the stove keeps the house warm in the winter.
- Club 18, Alingsåsgatan 37 (Karis railway station building), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 12:00-02:00. Restaurant by day and one centre for social life in Karis day and night. Billiard, dart. Pizzas, burgers, hot wings.
- [dead link] Hotel SeaFront, Vitsippsgatan 2 / Valkovuokonkatu 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Peaceful hotel to the north of the city center. Boat places but only for motor boats as it is north of the low railway and highway bridge.
- Marine Motel and Restaurant, Kammakaregatan 4 - 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Stadshotellet Ekenäs, ☏ . Hotel with 20 rooms and 2 restaurants
- Dönsby Bed and Breakfast, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Dönsby Bed and Breakfast is 4km from the Karis city center in a serene country side setting. 4 rooms houses max 10 guests. Classic Finnish close-sourced breakfast during summer-season and off-season guests are welcome to use the guest kitchen.
- Hotel Tegel, Fiskarsintie 9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Fiskars Wärdshus Hotel and Restaurant, Fiskarsintie 14, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Fiskars Wärdshus Hotel and Restaurant has been serving travellers since 1836. Fax. +358 19 237326
- Svartå Manor (Mustion Linna / Svartå Slott), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Svartå Manor offers the most luxurious lodging in a beautiful park setting.
- Eden Billnäs B&B, Sjösängintie 23, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Eden Billnäs B&B near the ironworks offers lodging around the year.
- Prepaid data SIM cards are widely available from R-kiosks at reasonable prices. Customer convenience Wi-Fi is not very widespread due to everyone having a data plan in their phone.
- Port, marina and sunbathing city of Hanko is reachable by half-an-hour rail link from Karis railway station or by taking Main Road 25 south-west. From Hanko Port there is car and cargo ferry connection to Paldiski, Estonia.
- For history fans, travel east or west along the King's Road
- Lohja to the north-east on the Main Road 25