Rausu (羅臼) is a town in Nemuro, Hokkaido, and is one of the gateways to the Shiretoko National Park. The town occupies the southern half of the Shiretoko Peninsula facing Kunashir, Russia across the Nemuro Strait.
Rausu is a town whose economy relies on tourism and fishing.
Akan Bus [dead link] operates local bus service from Kushiro via Nakashibetsu, with 4 round trips on weekdays and 2 round trips at weekends. There is another bus service from Utoro, Shari with 4 round trips per day during the period 15 Jun-14 Oct.
There are 4-5 cruise ship companies in Rausu. Whale watching and Cape Shiretoko tourism in summer, and drift ice tourism in winter. About 2½ hr, fare ¥8,000-9,000. Be sure to book.
- Marumi (まるみ), 24, Yagihama-machi,, ☏ . Mainly whale watching. ¥8,000 (summer), ¥9,000 (winter).
- Hamanasu (はまなす観光), 15, Rebun-cho,, ☏ . Mainly whale watching. ¥8,000.
- Shiretoko nature Cruise (知床ネイチャークルーズ), 27-1, Honmachi, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. ¥8,000.
- 1 Kumano-yu (熊の湯), Yunosawa (2 km from town center). 07:00-05:00. Free outdoor hot spring. Bathtub is divided by gender. Temperature of the hot water is very hot to suit the taste of patrons. Free.
- 2 Aidomari Hot Spring (相泊温泉), Aidomari, (20 km from town center). Open about Apr - Nov. Free open-air hot spring on the coast. You can take a bath while watching the fishing boats and Kunashir. Hot water hut by gender is to be built from Jul - Sep. Free.
- 3 Seseki Hot Spring (瀬石温泉) (about 23 km from Rausu). Free open-air hot spring. Free.
- 4 Mount Rausu (羅臼岳). Mountain trails for advanced climbers. About 6 hours from Rausu to the top.
- Rausu Kombu (羅臼昆布). Kelp (Kombu), which is harvested in this town, is famous as the "Rausu Kombu". The beach of summer, sight is the dried kelp that is harvested can be seen.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Michi-no-Eki Shiretoko Rausu (道の駅 知床らうす), 361-1, Honmachi, ☏ . 09:00-17:00. Road site Station. There are a restaurant and direct sales shops managed by the fishery cooperative.
Rausu boastes a fishing industry. Such as sea urchin, kinki (rock fish), salmon, hokke (akta mackerel), crab, and squid take according to the season. Dishes made with fresh seafood, you can eat in the restaurants and inns in the town.
- 1 Rausu Onsen Campground (羅臼温泉野営場), Yunosawa,, ☏ . Nearby Kumanoyu. ¥300.
- 2 Minshuku Marumi-Shokudō (民宿まるみ食堂), 27, Asabu,, ☏ , fax: . The inn features a restaurant that serves large portions. +2 meals ¥7,300.
- 3 Hotel Minenoyu (ホテル峰の湯), 7-3, Yunosawa. Bath is hot spring with outdoor bath. Stay with 2 meals ¥9,600+. Only bathing ¥500.
- 4 Rausu Daiichi Hotel (羅臼第一ホテル), 1, Yunosawa, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. Bath is the hot spring with outdoor bath. High season ¥15,900+, Off season ¥7,500+ for single.