Jump to navigation Jump to search
Retalhuleu is the capital of the department of the same name, and is the main hub for travel in the area.
Buses from Quetzaltenango, Mazatenango and Coatepeque.
- 1 Champerico (37 km southwest of Retalhuleu on hwy 95 (about 40 min driving)). Pacific beach. Direct bus from Retalhuleu. Dark sand beach.
- 2 Takalik Abaj (north on REU-13). Ancient ruins with some interesting sculpture of the Olmec and Maya cultures. Take a microbus to El Asintal, and either find further transport there, or walk along the road to the ruins (about 2 miles/3 km). There is a site museum and small zoo. Museum is about 1 km south of the ruins.
- 3 Tulate (whew, it's about 80 km south of Retalhuleu). Pacific beach. Take the bus from Retalhuleu to Mazatenango and get off at Cuyotenango junction - then take a bus from there to Tulate. Dark sand beach.
- 4 Dino Park, Santa Cruz Mulua (northeast of Retalhuleu before you get to Xetulul), ☏ . 9AM-6PM daily. Another theme park, kind of trying to be like Jurassic Park, complete with auto tour, but minus the real dinosaurs.
- 5 Finca Patrocinio, ☏ . Coffee farmstead with Santa Maria volcano in the background. You can take tours.
- 6 El Chorro del Carmen, Zunilito (CITO-180 to SCH-01 thru Zunilito to falls), ☏ . tiered waterfall in rainforest type setting
- 1 Xetulul Theme Park (on CITO-180 northeast of Retalhuleu), ☏ . 10-5 Th, 10-6 F, 10-8 S, 10-6 Su. Kind of a Mayan theme park, but with replicas of landmarks from other parts of the world as well, plus a slough of rollercoasters and rides. Across the road you'll find an elaborate water park called Xocomil (IRTRA Retalhuleu), then, if that's enough, a km or so from that is another theme park, this one more adventure/nature-oriented, called Parque De Aventura Xejuyup. It's a bit like Orlando, Florida around here. There are on-site rooms, cabins and restaurants. If staying overnight, it is much cheaper to leave the parks and eat in one of the restaurants along the highway. Buses between Retalhuleu and Quetzaltenango pass the entrances to the parks.
There is also a small pool resort near town called Costa Sur Turicentro.
- 1 Takalik Maya Lodge (about 5-10km north of the ruins), ☏ . Pool, restaurant, wifi. Very quaint and pretty resort, but kind of far from most things. 471 Quetzals.
- 2 Hotel Posada de Don Jose, 5 Calle, ☏ . Pool, restaurant/bar, a/c, wifi. A Spanish colonial style historical hotel right in town. 378 Quetzals.
- 3 Mansión Los Guichos (1-2 km north of Dino Park on CITO-180), ☏ . Another resort, but close to Dino Park with restaurant/bar, free breakfast, pool, spa, gym, wifi, and a/c. 517 Quetzals.
- Quetzaltenango - the principal city in the Western Highlands)
- Tapachula - across the Mexican border in Chiapas