Rimini is a resort town in Emilia-Romagna, on Italy's east coast. Rimini is a thriving, bustling resort on the Italian Riviera that boasts "over a thousand hotels". It is one of the least pretentious towns in Italy. This is a place where the Italians (and Russians!) go for their sea and sun, and therefore the food is excellent as well as the people being friendly and helpful.
There has been a settlement at Rimini since prehistoric times. Founded by the Romans in 268 BC, Rimini boasts a 2,000-year history that has left important marks testifying to its grandeur. To the Romans, Ariminum was a link between the "Italic" and the "Gallic" lands, a stronghold on the Adriatic and a gateway to the Po valley. Three major roads converged here - Via Flaminia, Via Aemilia and Via Popilia.
You won't find many tour buses filled with Americans or English here! This also means, however, that few speak anything but Italian (or Russian), so be sure to take your phrase book with you. The locals will work with you and are always happy to see a foreigner at least trying to communicate in their language.
- 1 Federico Fellini International Airport (RMI IATA) (7 km southeast of town centre). Regular flights from Moscow and other East European cities, and from within Italy. Western seasonal destinations are Munich, London Stansted and Vienna. Start Romagna Bus 9 runs to town every 20 min, taking 30 min to the railway station.
- You could also fly into Marche Airport near Ancona, or into Bologna.
Fast trains run from Milan via Bologna through Rimini to Ancona, Bari and Lecce. They don't all stop at Rimini, so you may have change at Bologna for the hourly regional train via Imola, Faenza, Forli and Cesena.
Another train runs hourly from Ravenna via Cervia and Cesenatico to Rimini.
2 Rimini railway station. This is near the old town, north end of the main beach strip, next to the bus station. There's an ATM, a news stand, and a TIC open M-Sa 09:00-13:00.
- Flixbus have direct buses from Milan, Venice-Mestre, Bergamo, Ancona, Pescara, Rome and elsewhere.
Most hotels are within walking distance of the beach and the centre, but if you want to take a trip along the coast or inland, buses run regularly from the train station and are frequent and cheap.
- 1 Augustus Arch. A Roman arch built to celebrate the Roman emperor who lent it his name.
- 2 Tiberius Bridge. The Roman bridge that marks the beginning of the Aemilian Way.
- 3 Domus of the Surgeon. An impressive archeological area documenting 20 centuries of Rimini history.
- Federico Fellini Museum, Via Clementini 2. Tu-F 16:00 to 19:00, Sa Su 10:00 to 12:00 and 16:00 to 19:00. Fellini's Museum is in Rimini's historic centre and is popular with both Italian public and foreign visitors alike. This museum covers everything related to the great film director's life and career, from the earliest days of Federico Fellini (1920 - 1993) to his greatest masterpieces, including five Oscars. The Museo Fellini hosts regular exhibitions of drawings, photographs and sketches. Free.
- 4 Tempio Malatestiano, 35 Via IV Novembre, ☏ . open M-Sa 08:30-12:30, 15:30-19:00, and Su 09:00-13:00, 15:30-19:00. Bizarre burial chapel for Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, the lord of the city, together with his mistress Isotta degli Atti and the Malatesta family.
- 5 Museo della città di Rimini.
- La Marina means the 15 km of beaches, not the place for leisure craft, which is il Porto. It's free to visit and swim, but almost all of it staked out by sunchair-for-rent services. In summer it's hubbub, with loudspeakers blaring commercials and vendors touting their wares. The beach plots are numbered north to south: look for the unmanaged sections, spiaggia libera, where you can lay your own towel, e.g. around no 97 near Parco Murri. The sea is warm and sheltered with next-to-no tide. In winter La Marina is deserted and the Med is cold!
- Rimini Fiera is the exhibition centre 3 km northwest of the city, with its own railway station. It has a year-round programme of events: some of these are trade-only, but others (especially around food, drink and leisure) are open to the public by ticket. Don't confuse this place with the Convention Centre, the UFO-shaped hall 500 m south of city centre.
Downtown are the best fashion boutiques, where is it possible to find the best Italian designer brands (Gucci, Prada, Armani, D&G). In early 2006 the first and one of the biggest (in Romagna) shopping malls, called "Le Befane", opened. It's so big that it changed the landscape of the west side of the city.
For typically tourist stuff, the beachfront has small souvenir shops. If you enjoy scandalising the family or even your home country's postal service, don't miss some of the more risqué postcards on sale at any one of a number of the little shops on the seafront.
In Rimini you can find several good places to eat. Since the city is on the seashore it is suggested to have a fish-based dish. Some of the best restaurant are: Lo Squero, Il Lurido, Da Guido, Marinelli. Usually with every dish you will get the famous "Piadina", a thin and very tasty sort of bread.
At the beach in the San Guiliano a Mare area, there are beach restaurants where one typically dines Al Fresco in warm weather. Although one might be wary of such establishments, the food is excellent and inexpensive. A typical dinner might cost only €5-6 for the meal alone. Sometimes they offer a multi-plate dinner (good for 2 or even 3 persons) for €18 that includes a 1/4 litre of wine. There are also excellent restaurants just off the main streets.
In the city center
- 1 Pizzeria del Secolo, Via Alessandro Gambalunga, 14.
- 2 Borgo Antico, Via Cairoli, 47.
- 3 Yerbabuena, Via Cairoli, 31.
- 4 La Golosa, Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 110. A Deli
- 5 Chinatown, Vicolo San Michelino in Foro, 9.
Along the beach
- 6 Osteria di mare da Wally, Viale Paolo Toscanelli, 28.
- 7 The Piada And The Sea, Lungomare Claudio Tintori, 23.
- 8 Pizzeria Mille Gusti, Viale Trieste, 1.
- 9 La Piada di Amerigo, Piazza Alberto Marvelli, 8.
- 10 I Mattarelli, Cucina Del Mare, Viale Regina Elena, 219.
- 11 PesceAzzurro Rimini, Viale Principe di Piemonte, 4/A.
- 12 [dead link] Osteria dell'Accademia (Osteria), Via Roma, 20 Montegridolfo RN, ☏ . Inside the Montegridolfo Castle (40 km from Rimini), the osterie dell'Accademia is famous for the typical Italian cuisine: for example tagliatelle, cappelletti, carne alla griglia, tartufo and mushroom. A beautiful panorama in front of the sea in a medieval castle between the hills. € 30/35 drink included.
The whole town is geared towards tourists, so the night life is very good and there are bars everywhere. Once the sun goes down, the streets of Rimini come alive with lights, colour and noise as the sunbathers of the day become the revellers of the evening.
There are however no "real" clubs in Rimini; only bars with dance floors. For real clubbing you have to go to Riccione, the next town over, which is about a 15 minute drive away. There is however one club called Carnaby's which is on the outskirts of Rimini and it has a free shuttle bus; the club is also within walking distance.
- Carnaby Club. Open every night from March to October. The Club is a 3-story building, each level having a different atmosphere, music style, bars and DJs. Free shuttle service on whole Rimini Area.
- Life club, Viale Regina Margherita 11. Lively nightclub boasting two floors. Open all summer long with a variety of music styles on both floors. Outdoor smoking area fitted with seats. Free bus to and from the club and free giveaways and drink promotions.
- Opéra Marano, viale D'Annunzio 150, Riccione (seafront bathing area 134), ☏ (for reservations quotes and promotions call Federico), email@example.com. 09:00-17:00. Open from May to half September. Dance club on the beach with a tropical setting and live music (Italian music, commercial/dance and revival on Fridays, commercial/dance and house on Saturdays). A dinner menu of meat and fish is also available 21:30 to 00:00. On request shuttle service on whole Rimini Area or you can take Bus Line 11.
- 1 Albergo Aquila, Via Porto Palos 13, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. 25 - 60.
- Albergo Viking, Viale Galatea 4 (Family Antonioli), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Near the beach, pool, hydro jacuzzi in the garden, car parking, garden with games for children.
- Hotel Baia (Viserbella di Rimini), Viale Porto Palos 33, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Located directly on the beach. Fully modernized and restored, the hotel offers to the guests wide and well-lighted rooms, air conditioned dining room, car park, well equipped rooms with modern and functional furnishing and comforts as air conditioning, safe-box and hairdryer. Double room from €60.
- Family Hotel Continental, Viale Vespucci 40, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Four-star hotel with 116 rooms.
- Hotel Elba, viale Brindisi 21, Rivazzurra di Rimini (in front of Carnaby Club), ☏ . A 3-star hotel for youths only, situated right in front of th Carnaby Club. Within walking distance from the beach. Part of the Young People Hotels group.
- Hotel Europa Rimini, Viale A. Vespucci, 83, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Affordable, clean and modern 3-star hotel with private beach, located on the seafront. Easy access to main services, amenities and nightlife.
- 2 Logis Hotel Vienna Ostenda (formerly Kyriad Vienna), viale Regina Elena, 11, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Budget place near railway station, small rooms and old fittings but comfy enough. B&B double €70.
- Hotel Morfeo, via Enna 22, Marebello di Rimini (200 m from the beach), ☏ . For young people only. Part of the Young People Hotels group devoted to party going people between 16 and 35 years. 24-hr reception, breakfast until 12:30 for daysleepers, bed & breakfast or half board, with all you can eat buffet, all rooms with air-conditioning, sunbeds and beach facilities included.
- Hotel River, Via Ortigara, 21, ☏ . A nice little hotel right on the beach with private parking with breakfast bar laden with healthy and tasty treats and unlimited coffee from a machine. Charge extra €5 for aircon. Doubles from €60 per night, singles from €40.
- 3 Jammin' Rimini Backpackers Hotel, Viale Bengasi 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:0₩ (at Jammin' Party Hostel, 100 m), check-out: 11:00. Clean large private rooms 1-2-4-6 beds all bathroom ensuite. Bar and reception 24h. Linen included hand given at check-in. Discounted tickets for discos and amusement parks. Small pets allowed upon authorization. At Jammin' Party Hostel, with a small extra, you can also have: buffet breakfast, WiFi, bicycles hire, self laundry, cocktail bar. Open June–August. from €12.
- Liverpool Hotel Rimini All Inclusive, Viale Bergamo, 8 - Rivazzurra di Rimini (Family Zanotti since 1964), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. Check-in: 10:30, check-out: 10:00. Elegant Family Hotel near the sea, with fantastic offers all inclusive for the holidays in Rimini. Pizza Party every Sunday evening at 22:00. Piadina Party every Thursday evening at 21:30. Special Dinner Fish every Tuesday at 20:20 for all the guests that love fresh fish. Free Internet Wifi and parking. Full board €35, all inclusive €44.
- [dead link] Residence Paradiso, Viale Tirrenia 2, ☏ . Doubles €80-150.
- Sunflower Beach Backpackers Hostels and Bar, via Siracusa 25, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The Official Hostelling International of Rimini. Suggested on Lonely Planet, Lets'Go and Rouge Guide.Free breakfast and WiFi, laundry facilities, fully equipped kitchen, 24-hr security, bicycles, bar open 24 hr, parties and concerts. Europe Famous Hostels Member. The Sunflower Bar has happy hour every night and organise the Rimini pub & disco crawl. By bus : Line 11, Stop 24 from €15 per person.
As of June 2021, Rimini has 4G with all Italian carriers. 5G has not reached this area.
- Ravenna is a lovely old town that was once a Byzantine capital.
- Ancona is the next major city down the Adriatic coast, with ferries to the Balkans.
- Bologna is the stand-out among the cities along the Po valley.
- San Marino is an independent microstate perched on a hilltop southwest of Ravenna, an easy day-trip.