Ancona is the capital of the Italian region called the Marches. It is an important port city on the coast of the Adriatic Sea. A part of its medieval center was bombed during World War II, but it is still full of ancient monuments and squares. Its medieval cathedral is set on the mountain overlooking at the gulf of Ancona and it is well worth a look. The ancient roman Trajan Arch is on the docks of the port. There is also a loved Memorial of the First World War (built during Fascism) on the waterfront. The city offers glorious vistas, on a coastline that extends from Pesaro, with mainly flat sandy beaches, to Mount Conero, with its rocky coast. The popular resort of Portonovo is at the Mount's base.
Ferries are cheap and go regularly between various places by the coast.
Be aware that check-in for the international ferries is not directly near the customs/port authority, but a fifteen minutes walk elsewhere in the port. You could also take free bus line 20. Not very practical for travellers on foot.
The following international lines are serviced by car ferries (See also Ferries in the Mediterranean#Adriatic Sea):
- Split - Ancona (Snav, Jadronlinija and Blue line)
- Rijeka - Zadar - Split - Hvar - Korčula - Dubrovnik - Bari
- Korčula - Hvar - Split - Ancona
- Zadar - Ancona
- Zadar - Dugi otok - Ancona
- Dubrovnik - Bari - Dubrovnik
- Patras - Ancona - Patras
- Igoumenitsa - Ancona - Igoumenitsa
- Patras - Igoumenitsa - Ancona - Igoumenitsa - Patras
- To/from Bar (Montenegro) - 18 hours, twice a week, only in the summer, cheapest way approx 70 € - 
Be aware that the central train station has two sets of lines, and "Platform 2 Ovest" is NOT THE SAME "as Platform 2".
Ancona is served by Falconara Maritima Airport (AOI), 12 km north of the city. Airlines servicing this airport are limited:
- AlItalia: Rome-Fiumicino
- Lufthansa: Munich
- Ryanair: Brussel-Charleroi, London-Stansted, Trapani, Dusseldorf-Weeze
- Volotea: Cagliari, Catania
- Vueling: Barcelona
The airport is accessible from the city through the bus and train service:
- Train: The nearest station is called Castelferretti and the train also goes to Ancona Station
- Bus: Raffaello bus serves the Falconara Maritima - Ancona route. The bus cost 5.5 EUR and can be purchased on board. The bus can be taken from Piazza Cavour, Piazza Kennedy, Ancona Central Train Station and Ancona Torrete Train Station.
- Ancona Cathedral. Attractive Ancona Cathedral stands on the Guasco hill overlooking the city's port and offers amazing views of Ancona and the Adriatic coast. The wooden roof of the 11th century Cathedral is actually in the shape of an upside-down boat and its most obvious feature is the 12-sided cupola. The Cathedral is actually built on the site of an ancient temple dedicated to Venus and you can still see some of the ruins underneath the church.
- Serenellini's Accordion Factory. Since 1978 "Serenellini" manufactures a wide range of excellent handicrafted accordions, able to satisfy the needs of the student as well as the most demanding professional accordionist. The artisan style of Serenellini's accordion suits to the quality of the product; using only the best Italian raw materials,employing highly experienced craftsmen and adhering to a severe policy of accurate on-line testing up to the final product give rise to the top reliability guarantee of the instrument.
- 1 Parco del Cardeto. Beautiful park on the hills close to the city. You gain an amazing view over the city, the harbour and along the coastline of the adriatic sea. No access to the beach from here. free.
- 1 Pinacoteca Comunale. Ancona's Pinacoteca Comunale (art gallery) is located in Palazzo Bosdari and houses over 100 works by 14th-19th century artists from the Marches and Veneto regions, including Titian and Andrea del Sarto. The top floor of the museum is occupied by the Gallery of Modern Art which contains a large number of works by the late Francesco Podesti and various other contemporary Italian artists.
- Mount Conero & Beaches. Beautiful coastline and beaches lying at the foot of Mount Conero
If you want to quickly go to the rocky beach, you can take, from the train station, bus 1/4 to go to the "Passetto" (€1,20, one way). If you have some more time, you could take the bus to the wooded place of Portonovo (south of Ancona), where the rocky beaches are very nice. This tour requires at least half a day.
- Trattoria Ulderico on the waterfront, close to the Mole Vanvitelliana is claimed by some as an excellent as well as budget place to eat fish, but expect relaxed service.
- La Moretta on the Piazza del Plebiscito (or Piazza del Papa), is an open-air place with characteristic Marches-style food and drink. Free Wi-Fi.
- La Cantineta, near the Piazza del Plebiscito (or Piazza del Papa), has a characteristic Marches-style food and drink.
- Il Giardino, along the Viale della Vittoria, has good food and good prices
- La Terrazza located on the upper floor just above the ferry station and customs office facilities is an excellent choice for seafood and fish cuisine lovers.
- Raval, on the Piazza del Plebiscito, is a good place to meet people, drink a great, freshly made cocktail or to eat delicious Italian tapas. +39 071 2320951 Free Wi-Fi.
- 'Bar Torino (corso Garibaldi), Tazza d'Oro (corso Mazzini) and Caffè Giuliani (corso Garibaldi) are great for driks and appetizers.
- Twilightblue hotels in Ancona
- NH Jolly Ancona, Rupi di Via XXIX Settembre, 14 (In front of the Lazzaretto or Mole Vanvitelliana), ☎ .
- Ostello della Gioventu, Via Lamaticci. Check-in: 16:30, check-out: 11:30. Private hostel very close to the central station. Pro: Free Wi-Fi. Con: Closed between 11:30 and 16:30. Also closed between midnight and 6:30. So you have to return early if you go to a party. €18/person/night.
Marche ranked as one of the safest region in Italy. Walking around Ancona even in the night wouldn't be a problem. However, caution has to be exercised moreover in area outside of the centro. Tourist scam is uncommon, as Ancona itself is merely a transit point for the ferry passengers.
The city provides limited free wifi in Piazza Roma and in front of Teatro delle Muse. Connect to Free AnkonNet and follow the instruction.