- For other places with the same name, see Bar (disambiguation).
The Old Town of Bar, 4 km far from the coast, is the most significant among the numerous cultural-historical monuments of this town, a witness to its turbulent history. These old bricks are deaf witnesses of numerous conquerors and different cultures.
Bar is a touristy city, mostly in summer. Season goes roughly from May to September. There are tourist facilities, restaurants, sport fields, trade and a marina with 1050 berths. Off season, virtually everything will be closed (cafés, restaurants, hotels, and of course tourist information centers).
Alternatively, take an one-hour drive by a car. It is possible to reach Podgorica airport through a taxi service. A transfer should cost €30 for a vehicle up to four passengers, and €60 for a minivan up to eight passengers.
One day train ("Tara") and one night train ("Lovcen") take ten hours from Belgrade via Rakovica (for Belgrade suburban lines), Bijelo Poljea, Prijepolje, Podgorica and a dozen other stops; they're chronically an hour late. The day train is cancelled at least until mid-Dec 2021. In Belgrade for some years these trains departed from Topcider, the dreary motorail terminal in the southern burbs, but they now run from Centar station.
- 1 Bar railway station (Željeznička stanica).
- 2 Ship terminal. Daily ferries operated by Montengro Lines to/from Bari, Italy departing at 22:00 and arriving at 7:00 (from €56). The company also operates bi-weekly ferries to/from Ancona, Italy.
- 3 Autobuska stanica (Bus station) (2 km from centre, 300 m from train station), ☏ . Frequent buses operate along the coast to Budva, Tivat (for the airport) and Kotor. The journey to Podgorica takes a little over an hour, journeys to Ulcinj take about 30 minutes and journeys north to Budva and Kotor take one hour and just under two hours respectively. If you're heading to Bar's beaches in Susanj, you can ask to be let off the buses (for those coming from Podgorica, Budva and Kotor) in Susanj rather than having to walk all the way back from the bus station.
During the summer months, there is a local bus service running between Sutomare (about 5 km north along the coast) and Bar. Services are hourly.
Bar is a small city and everywhere is walkable. The walk between Bar and the beaches in Susanj will take about 30 minutes; taxi drivers will be happy to take you.
- Taxi Bar, ☏ , email@example.com. 24h. minivan transfers, airport transfer services Tivat airport €40, Podgorica airport €30, Tirana (Albania) €105, Dubrovnik (Croatia) €110.
- Car rentals
- Taxi Montenegro, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. economy cars from €35/day, private driver car rentals, rent a minivan with driver €110 day
- Bar Rent a Car, ☏ .
- Stari Bar (Bar Old Town). A great set of ruins of churches and mosques, a few km from the current Bar. A taxi from the city center to Stari Bar shouldn't cost more than 4€. €2 (discounts for children).
- Bar Fortress.
- 1 Stara Maslina (Стара маслина). One of the world's oldest olive trees, estimated to be between 2000 and 2500 years old.
- 2 Bar Royal Palace. Houses the city museum of Bar.
- Port of Bar. not really fancy but you can see some great ships, beautiful yachts and small fishing boats.
- Beaches in Susanj. Cleaner water and more space a short walk along the promenade north of the city centre
Churches and monasteries
There are numerous of historic churches and monasteries in and around Bar.
- 3 Church of St. Jovan Vladimir.
- Konoba SPILJA (Old Town), ☏ . Traditional Dalmatian and Sestan Food.
- Pizzeria Pulena, Robna kuca Izbor, Ul. Vladimira Rolovića, ☏ . Lots of pizza and fried goodies.
- Gradski Restoran, 41 Ulica Jovana Tomasevica, ☏ . Partly inside, partly on a terrace with amazing mountain views. Popular with locals. Pricey.
- Tajana (Old Town), ☏ . Garden restaurant with tables inside and outside.
- Sunce, nacionalna kuc'a, ul. Rista Lekic'a, ☏ . 8:00 - 21:00. Home made national food. Inexpensive, for travelers on a budget, backpackers.
- 1 Villa Kovacevic, Topolica 3, ☏ . It's sort of a penthouse homestay with grand views over the Bar municipality and seafront. $26.
- 2 Hotel Princess, ☏ , email@example.com. 4-star hotel directly facing the Adriatic and the boardwalk. Parking, fitness centre and other amenities. Single: €72-87; Double: €94-154.
As of Sept 2021, Bar has 4G from all Montenegro carriers. 5G has not rolled out in Montenegro.
- Budva, 50 min by car on a coastal road trip
- Podgorica, capital of montenegro, 1:15 away by car
- Kotor and Bay of Kotor 6.50 Euro by bus.
- Ulcinj, most southern coastal town, 30 min away by car, close to Albania border
- Shkodra, 1 hour away by car in Albania
- Dubrovnik, most popular coastal city in Croatia
- Belgrade, Nis, and Novi Sad in Serbia