Novi Sad (Нови Сад/Novi Sad in Serbian) is the capital of Vojvodina, the northern Autonomous Province of Serbia. Situated on the Danube River between Budapest and Belgrade, it is a treasured regional and cultural centre. Novi Sad has a population of 400,000 in the wider urban area.
Orientation: Novi Sad has good transport connections with nearby cities thanks to its great position. It is located about 80 km to the northwest of Belgrade, about 300 km from Budapest, 424 km from Ljubljana, 309 km from Zagreb, 548 km from Podgorica, 480 km from Sofia, 150 km from Timisoara (Romania), 100 km from the border town (with Hungary) of Subotica and about 100 km from the Romanian border town of Jimbolia.
The city itself doesn't have an airport and the closest one is Nikola Tesla International Airport (IATA: BEG)  near Belgrade (about 70 kilometers). Some taxi companies run regular cars between Belgrade Airport and Novi Sad, e.g. Autoturist tel. +381 63 504 587, Belgrade Airport Transfer.
Other useful airports with low-cost flights might be:
- Budapest Ferihegy International Airport (IATA: BUD)  (247 kilometers from Novi Sad, serving numerous low-cost airlines, the best way to get to Western/Northern Europe by plane)
- Timisoara Traian Vuia International Airport (126 km far, serving Wizzair)
E-75 highway that connects Belgrade and Budapest passes by some 5 km from Novi Sad. Toll fare for passenger cars coming from Belgrade is 240RSD (or a little less than 3EUR). Prices for other types of vehicle (bus, truck) are higher.
If you want to go in the direction of Zagreb, Ljubljana take E-70 highway which is some 40 km south/west of Novi Sad.
Using the bus is the most recommended option. The bus stations for long-distance trips are:
- "Old bus station", at Bulevar Jaše Tomića 6 (still much more used than the new one) near the train station.
- not in function since 2009: "New bus station", at the corner of Sentandrejski Put and Novosadskog partizanskog odreda, near "Novosadska Mlekara" (Novi Sad's dairy plant).
Within Serbia, Novi Sad is connected by bus to all other major cities. The most frequent route is the one from Belgrade, with buses leaving every 15 minutes during peak hours and a total of nearly 100 journeys each day in each direction.
Internationally, the city has frequent bus connections to Sofia in Bulgaria, Budapest in Hungary, Zagreb, Vukovar, and Osijek in Croatia, Sarajevo and Banja Luka in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Budva, Tivat, Podgorica, Herceg Novi in Montenegro. It is also reachable from Germany and Austria.
For urban, domestic long-distance and international bus timetables in Serbian and English, visit the web site of JGSP Novi Sad, the city public transport company at .
The cycling route EuroVelo 6  [dead link] connects Novi Sad to Hungary and to Belgrade by following the Danube river. Novi Sad has dedicated cycle-paths along most of its avenues.
- Walk, the city centre is actually quite small and most of the interesting sights, bars and hotels are all within easy walking distance. There are plenty of street maps, especially in the centre, so you can find your way easily.
- Public transport service. . Novi Sad has an excellent bus service. Ticket for one ride (no matter how far you go as long you don't change the bus) costs 55 RSD and is bought from the driver.
- Taxis are not overly expensive (by Western standards), the minimum fare varies between 80 and 100 RSD, with a cross-city trip typically costing 150-200 RSD. It helps to have the address written out although many taxi drivers speak fair, sometimes even excellent, English. However, be careful of taxis unaffiliated with one of the major firms (especially at the train station), or you may pay up to four times more than your fare should be. Some good taxi companies: Pan, Vojvodjani, SOS, Delta, Novus, Naš, Lav.
- The fortress of Petrovaradin on the right bank of the Danube. A fortress that no enemy has ever taken, it now contains a museum, "Muzej Grada Novog Sada" (Novi Sad City Museum) gathering all ancient objects of the region from the prehistorical era until today, large number of small art studios and living spaces of artists, underground military galleries - corridors, few clubs and few cafes and a delicatessen. It also has a small Observatory and Planetarium, open on Saturdays from 7PM-12PM. The observatory is open when skies are clear, while the Planetarium, which is near the Museum, is open every Saturday. The staff are young, fun and speak excellent English. The 5* hotel and three restaurants offer beautiful views of the Danube and of Novi Sad, and have recently been reopened, after extensive renovation and refurbishment works.
- The Old town hall, right on the main city square called Trg Slobode
- The Church of the great martyr St. George, Serb Orthodox church in Pašićeva street
- The Church of Virgin's name, Catholic church in the center on Trg Slobode
- Dvorac Dundjerski an old castle, wonderfully preserved, situated to the north of Novi Sad.
- The Novi Sad Synagogue, a beautiful Synagogue in the center of the city, in Jevrejska street.
- Foreign art collection 29 Dunavska, 451 259 Open: 9-16 every day except on Monday. This is the largest museum collection of foreign art in Serbia. In 1966, Doctor Branko Ilić donated his art collection of 136 paintings of foreign artists, 279 pieces and sculptures, period furniture and other items of applied arts to the town of Novi Sad and the Province. The legacy consists of the works of Western European schools from the XVI century until the end of the XIX century, mostly from the area of Central Europe (France, Germany, Italy and Austria).
- Vojvodina Museum, 36-37 Dunavska St, ☎ . , Open: 9.00-19.00h on working days, closed on Monday, 9.00-14.00 h on weekends. Entry price for foreigners 100 RSD or 200 RSD with an English speaking guide. Vojvodina from Paleolithic up to the XX century. Also, there's Dinaric Ethnic house "Brvnara" in Bački Jarak (15 kilometers north from Novi Sad).
- EXIT Festival. July. This festival, founded in 2000 as an onset to the democratic revolution in the country, attracts more and more visitors every year. It has a wider variety of music genres such as Rock, Dance, Reggae, Hip-Hop, Folk, and Techno. Many world famous bands played on the festival (Slayer, Moloko, Iggy Pop, Snoop Dogg, Wu-Tang-Clan, Public Enemy, Billy Idol, Pet Shop Boys, The Cult, HIM and many DJs from around Europe and Asia) and in the year 2004 it was listed as the biggest cultural event of South-Central/Eastern Europe.
- A stroll around the city's imposing boulevards and along the Danube river, for example the route Kralja Aleksandra - Trg Slobode - Zmaj Jovina - Dunavska - Beogradski Kej - Kej Žrtava Racije
- If the weather is nice, sit down at one of the cafés around Spens and enjoy
- The Mountaineering club Naftaš usually organizes a hike on Saturday or Sunday on Fruska Mountain and in the Novi Sad vicinity.  mailto:email@example.com GPS tracks of regular hiking paths is available on PD Naftaš website
- The Železnicar Association of mountaineers and skiers organizes a hiking trip every Sunday on Fruska Mountain and in the Novi Sad vicinity. Trg Galerija 4, 529 978  mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must visit in summer - "Strand" - means beach, the most beautiful sand beach on the Danube river! It is open usually from 15. May to 15. September.
- Coats good quality (particularly for the harsh winter) and very cheap.
- Leather goods at The Manual Company, a modern franchise based on high quality luxury leather, handmade at affordable prices. Various shops, one at Zmaj Jovina 18
- Quality goods, especially sportswear, can be found at Spens
- Mercator (opened 2007 - shopping mall)
- Merkur (opened 2007)
- Bazzaar (shopping mall at the city center)
- NewNork (renovated shopping mall at the city center across the street from the Opera House)
- Futoška pijaca and Riblja pijaca are two open-air markets in the city center where you can buy cheap clothes, local fresh produce and some groceries imported from Hungary.
After a hearty breakfast with meat, Serbians traditionally work eight hours straight before having their "lunch" between 15:00-18:00. Obviously this is by far the biggest meal of the day, with huge quantities of soup, roasted meat and potatoes, and a pickle salad as a side dish. Restaurants are typically open until 22:00.
Sandwiches & pancakes
- Frustuk bar corner Petra Drapsina and Laze Kostica Novi Sad, 021/522 777. GPS 45.250036,19.8399 Excellent vegetarian and non-vegetarian sandwiches!
- Pancakes have to taste.
- Maja - Here you can buy Novi Sad's trademark sandwich "Index". In a place next to it, you can eat good gyros. Situated close to Novosadski Sajam (Novi Sad Fair).
- Disney - Pancakes.
- Sultans of Istanbul - Baklava Carstvo - Maksima Gorkog 1a, Lokal II - Best Baklavas in town, eat in or take away.
- Pizzeria Adrijana - Zmaj Jovina 1
- Pizza & Gyros "Stomi" - Braće Popović 8 (Novi Sad Fair) - Delicious gyros and pizza.
- Good Food - cheap burgers, sandwiches and gyros, Jevrejska 3 in the city center
- Obelix - Futoški put 59 - All kinds of Grill, burgers, ćevap (kebab)... Very popular place.
- Dottore per la pizza - Maksima Gorkog 10 - Best Pizza in Town, also hot-dogs and crepes.
- Jefta - one of the most popular places to eat a hamburger.
- Bubi - one of the most popular places to eat a hamburger. Often is very crowded. Situated close to Novosadski Sajam (Novi Sad Fair) or at the Vojvodina fotball stadium
- Pekara "Djani" - Bakery (you can buy burek here). Rase Radujkova 10,Novo Naselje
- Cezar pizza - Modene 2
- Amigos Chicken - Amigos Wings - Chicken wings are spoken of highly. Stevana Sremca br.1
- Caribic Pizza - CARIBIC pizzeria, is a restaurant with a tradition dating from 1992. The restaurant offers a wide range of pizzas. Within a restaurant there is a well known PIZZA CUT service that is preparing fresh pizza cuts and is open 24/7. Locations in Novi Sad: Trg Slobode 4, Trg Carice Milice 4, Jevrejska 35, Stražilovska 35. www.caribic.rs
- Stevča soul food, Grckoskolska 7
- Mali Niš, Fruškogorska 16, 459 521
- Niš, Jovana Popovića 27, 504 650
- Marina, Trg Mladenaca 4, 424-353. very nice restaurant just few minutes from the centre of Novi Sad. Pleasant, with terrace and good food.
- Bor (The Pine), Temerinski put 57a, 412-424.
- Jet Set, Temerinski put 41, 414-511.
- Doria, Sutjeska 2. Cafe/Pizzeria. Good pizzas and pastas, 350-500 CSD. Near the sports stadium.
- Alaska koliba Kamenička ada 1,365-683.
- Dunav, Kamenička ada bb, 365-683.
- Lipa , Svetozara Miletića 7-9 (Under the lime-tree), 615-259.
- Chicken Tikka, on the Vojvodiina stadium, near building SPENS. Nice and pleasant.
- Staro zdanje, Trg Marije Trandafil 1, 527 040
- McDonald's, Trg Slobode 3, 021/423 938. Now includes McCafé.
- Kentucky Fried Chicken, Novosadskog Sajma 2
- Konoba - delicious fast-food experts. Awesome staff, very tasty food.
- Leskovacki Rostilj, Bulevar Oslobodjenja. Serbian version of a hamburger. Cheap, tasty and filling.
- [dead link]Mediteraneo Trattoria. 8, Rezervacije 021/526-322 Dostava 021/6612-621. Sweet Italian restaurant in center of Novi Sad.Ise Bajica
- Secuan First ever Chinese restaurant in Novi Sad. Expensive for local standards, .Dunavska 16 Novi Sad 529-693
- Ribarsko ostrvo (Fisherman's Island) Kamenička ada bb Novi Sad 365-683
- Čerčil Natoševićeva 1 Novi Sad 525 132
- Derbi Sutjeska 2 Novi Sad 611-347
- 2 Štapića - Chinese take-out. Situated near SPENS on corner of Cara Lazara and Fruškogorska streets. 
- Surabaja Indonesian restaurant, behind the church. Primorska 26 Novi Sad 413-400
- Fontana Excellent traditional meat restaurant. Paid 90 CSD for great bowl of soup, 290 CSD for traditional Bosnian Cevapcici (ground meat skewers) and 390 CSD for a huge mixed grill. Staff very friendly, nice terrace with fountain in the summer. Also hotel. Nikole Pašića 17 Novi Sad 621-779
- A'dam Excellent new place, very tasty food. Laze Teleckog 28 Novi Sad 472-7704
- [dead link]Dukat (The Ducat). Đorđa Rajkovića 12 Novi Sad 525-190
- Jatak Danila Kisa 13, one of the finest restaurants in the region. Prices range from €10-20 per main course
- Zeppelin - Kej Zrtava Racije bb, Lovely restaurant and Cafe on a ship on the Danube with a great look at Petrovaradin fortress and with quality cuisine offering wide variety of meals.
- Salas 84 - excellent, about 30 km from Novi Sad to the north-east. It's worth to see it!
- Žal za mladost, Somborska 189, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 10:00-01:00. An authentic Serbian restaurant with pre-1930's atmosphere. The food is a mixture of traditional and modern Serbian cuisine.
- Poslastičarnica Figaro, Mite Ružića Street, behind church in parallel street to Zmaj Jovina. Only 30 RSD for nice piece of pastry and 50 RSD for Espresso.
- Cafe Poslastičarnica Twin, Zmaj Jovina 8. Excellent cakes and coffee!
- Mozart Cafe - Cakes, ice cream and sweets. Bulevar Oslobođenja 46.
- Europa - Ice cream and sweets. Situated in city center.
- Vremeplov - meaning "Time machine", Bulevar Oslobodjenja (next to EPS building), Wonderful 1920s looking place, but with high prices for local standard, not followed by high quality of food.
- Green House, ☎ . Vegetarian snacks, sandwiches, muffins, cakes. Vojvode Knicánina 1.
As a university town, Novi Sad is known for a lively bar scene. There are lots of nice bars in the small streets to the west of Zmaj Jovina, around Njegoševa and Grčkoškolska streets.
Outdoor drinking (in summer): at Zmaj Jovina/Dunavska (slightly more relaxed) and at the sports stadium (locally referred to as Silicon Valley because of the alleged preponderance of breast implants)
♦♦♦ "Lager & Wine" Beautiful bar / pub with supreme selection of international beer and wine with food to pair with, at the address: Ulica Svetozara Miletića 17, center of Novi Sad. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LagerAndWine?ref=stream&viewer_id=0&filter=1
- Martha's Pub, Ulice Laze Teleckog. The best honey rakija in town and one of the most popular pubs with an upstairs bar and patio and downstairs bar. A "must go" to try the honey rakija...
- Bar Kaž'te, Kečigina 1, Ribarsko ostrvo.
- [dead link]Cuba Libre. Check details at Ulica Laze Telečkog 13 o64
- Trafika Lively young atmosphere. Ulica Laze Telečkog.
- "RST" Cafe Club regularly changing programs, from open jam sessions over romantic evenings to domestic rock and pop bands
- Trema (Stage fright) Probably the largest bar in Novi Sad, musical events, mixed audience. In the Serbian national theatre. Behind the entrance, take the stairs to the left. Pozorišni trg 1 Novi Sad 451-232
- Bistro Ulica Modene, extremely dark bar next to Cezar Pizza but fairly relaxed atmosphere inside. Youngish, slightly alternative crowd.
- Sistem I dance/pick up bar, expensive and posh dress. Ulica Modene.
- Adresa cocktail bar, stylish crowd. Ulica Modene.
- Cafe "The Sting", e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Vojvodina Stadium 458-155
- Foxtrot Futoška 23 Novi Sad 622-904
- Pipping Cafe Club in the Cultural Center of Novi Sad. Katolička porta 5 Novi Sad
- NS Time Bul. Despota Stefana bb Novi Sad
- Absolut Zmaj Jovina 12 Novi Sad
- Pivnica Gusan Zmaj Jovina 12 Novi Sad - one of the best pubs
- Irish Pub. An Irish pub,
- Big mama Zmaj Jovina 2 Novi Sad 613-442
- Sterija Pozorišni trg 1 Novi Sad
- Models Ilije Ognjanovića 24 Novi Sad 612-058
- Cafe Club Bar Ego 622-029
- [dead link]Club Hedonista. 529-438
- ROUTE66 Novi Sad. Bulevar Despota Stefana 5. International live concerts, great DJ music, lounge feeling, video performance, garden, promotions, company parties, birthday parties, program for kids with animation, happy hour for coffee, internet & WLAN for free, free parking, open for all kind of events, smiling staff.
- [dead link]Kafe Bar "Braća Drinić", e-mail: email@example.com. Branka Ćopića/474-83-80
- club Soul, Svetozara Miletica 40 (City Center). only electronic music, after parties & free entrance
- cafe Porta, Katolicka porta 6, ☎ . Nice and quiet place in the center of Novi Sad
- Bela Lada, , street Kisačka 21. Phone: +381 21 6616-594 or +381 62 418-681, fax: +381 21 47 25 120, firstname.lastname@example.org. From €12 per person/per night private single room. 5 minutes' walk from the Exit Festival or the Danube promenade, the Dunavska street and Petrovaradinska tvrdjava. Address: Restaurant - Kisačka street 21, Rooms - Zlatne Grede street 15. Bela Lada is also an international restaurant with Gypsy music, where you can try all kinds of wine. On the wall of the restaurant are 2000 different bottles of wine from all over the world. Contact / Reservation information Phone: +381 21 66 16 594, +381 21 422 552, +381 21 500 190, Mobile: +381 62 418-681, +381 63 680-822, Fax and email as shown above.
- Downtown hostel, ☎ . Njegoseva 2. Very central hostel close to many bars and restaurants. €11-€18 per night.
- Hostel Podbara, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Djordja Rajkovica 28. Located less than 10 minutes walk from City Centre. Internet and WiFi. 9-25€.
- Hostel Sova, ☎ . Ilije Ognjanovica 26. Near the main city square, friendly service, clean. 10€/night.
- Hostel Smile, ☎ . Bulevar Oslobodjenja 48, in the vicinity of the Main Train and Bus station. $16.21 or €13.50.
- Hotel Boem Branka Radičevića 5 21205 Sremski Karlovci (7 km from Novi Sad). Phone: 881-038 881-892, firstname.lastname@example.org. From €17.
- CitiHotel Veliki, e-mail: email@example.com. Nikole Pašića 24, Novi Sad 021-4723840. Comfortable apartments, free wi-fi. From €30.
- Fontana, ☎ . Nikole Pašića 17. Average rooms above the restaurant, also a huge apartment. Very friendly staff though limited English. From €25 per night.
- [dead link]Hotel Braća Drinić, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Branka Ćopića 122 38121/474-83-80. Nice and modern rooms from €25.
- Hotel Prezident". 5 star, part of the Best Western hotels, Futoska 109
- Hotel Park 35 Novosadskog sajma, just opened. €50-400/bed, breakfast, swimming pool, sauna, without a residence tax.
- Hotel Zenit, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Zmaj Jovina 8., From €50. Well air-conditioned rooms, rich and multifarious buffet. Rooms are always clean and spotless. Hospitable and very polite staff. If you book in advance you can even reserve a parking space for your vehicle.
- Hotel Leopold I On the famous Petrovaradin fortress, spectacular views to the Novi Sad, 58 twin or double rooms and apartments, satellite TV, internet, car park.
- Hotel Mediteraneao. Very close to Zenit, new and modern
- Hotel Gymnas, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Teodora Pavlovica 28, B&B Hotel with the largest fitness centre in the city. All guests enjoy complimentary use of gym and sauna. €45-110.
- Garni Hotel Panorama, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 1A Futoska Street, Located in the business part of the city offering all possible amenities to businessmen and other demanding travelers. Employees speak English, Dutch, and Italian.
If you have enjoyed Novi Sad, you should also consider visiting:
- Sremski Karlovci, beautiful small town just 8 km from Novi Sad with well preserved architecture. Annual "Wine Festival" is held there every September.
- Fruška Gora, national park and mountain on the southern side of the Danube, famous for its marathon and many monasteries.
- Palić lake, very popular summer resort among locals, near Subotica.
- Sombor, sleepy little town full of friendly locals, delightful architecture and a good nightlife scene despite its small size. The local theatre is worth seeing but it's closed during summer.