This page aims to provide an overview of all the ferry services in the Mediterranean Sea between southern Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. The Mediterranean Sea is sub-divided into a number of smaller seas, each with their own designation (from west to east). The ferries are - as far as possible - ordered by sea which they traverse.
As of Oct 2018, Grimaldi Ferries provides free passage (no seat or berth) for children under 2 years old (and for children under 12 on some routes to Sicily), and 50% off ship passage (not including fixed dues for children under 12 years old). It offers a 20% discount (fixed dues excluded) for passengers over 60 for voyages from/to Spain, Sicily and Sardinia.
- You can arrive to Barcelona by boat from the Balearic Islands, from Genoa and from Rome. For further information, check http://www.gnv.it and http://www.grimaldi-ferries.com.
- The cheapest cabine-less ticket is cheaper then the bus Rome - Barcelona.
- From Genoa: Grandi Navi Veloci crosses to Barcelona weekly, and takes about eighteen hours. It also offers a weekly crossing to Tangiers, which takes around forty-six.
- Other direct ferry routes from Genoa are; Bastia (Corsica), Olbia, Palermo (Italy) and Porto Torres. It is best to book early to avoid over-booking on the ferries.
- From Civitavecchia (near Rome)
- To Barcelona (Spain). You get 20% discount with the RailPlus card. Takes approx. 22hr.
- To Golfo Aranci (Sardinia), Corsica & Sardinia Ferries
- To Olbia (Sardinia), Moby Lines, Tirrenia or Snav
- To Palermo (Sicily), Grandi Navi Veloci or Snav
- To Porto Torres (Sardinia), Grimaldi Lines
- To Toulon (France), GLD Lines [dead link]
- To Tunis, Grandi Navi Veloci / Grimaldi Ferries
For detailed info of all these lines, see Guide to Mediterranean Ferries
- From Naples to:
- Aeolian Islands – Lipari (16hr), Panarea (14hr), Stromboli (12hr), Salina (15hr), Vulcano (17hr). Siremar or [Snav].
- Cagliari (Sardinia) – Tirrenia. Takes approx. 13½hr.
- Gulf of Naples – Capri, Ischia (45min by hydrofoil or 1hr by ferry), Procida. Snav
- Milazzo (Sicily) – Siremar. Takes approx. 18hr.
- Palermo (Sicily) – Takes about 10¼hr with Tirrenia or 10½hr with Grandi Navi Veloci.
- From Salerno to:
- From Durrës to:
- The coastal town of Neum does not seem to be served by any ferry line. Nearest larger ports are Split and Dubrovnik, both in Croatia.
- From Pula
- From Rijeka
- From Split
- From Dubrovnik
- To Bari (Italy)
- Numerous local lines
- From Zadar
- To Ancona (Italy)
- From Ploče
- local lines.
- From Bar it is possible to take a ferry to:
- From Kotor it is possible to take a ferry to:
- Bari (Italy) - weekly, only during the summer
- From Venice to:
- From Ancona to:
- From Pescara to:
- From Bari to:
- From Brindisi to:
- Corfu (Greece) – European Seaways, Red Star Ferries or Grimaldi Lines
- Igoumenitsa (Greece) directly or via Corfu – European Seaways or Grimaldi Lines
- Kefalonia (Greece) – European Seaways, Red Star Ferries
- Patras (Greece) – Grimaldi Lines
- Saranda (Albania) – Red Star Ferries
- Vlorë (Albania) – European Seaways, Red Star Ferries
- Zakynthos (Greece) – European Seaways, Red Star Ferries
- From Patras to:
Sea of Marmara
The Sea of Marmara is between the Aegean and Black Sea. Lots of ferry and fast ferry lines connect northern and southern coasts of Marmara, some examples are:
- From Istanbul to Princes' Islands, Yalova, Guzelyali (near Bursa), Mudanya (also near Bursa), Marmara Islands, and Bandirma
- From Tekirdağ to Marmara Islands, Erdek, Bandirma, and Gemlik
- From Silivri to Marmara Islands
- From Şarköy to Marmara Islands
The Cilician Sea is between Turkey and Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean countries such as Lebanon.
- Between Turkey and Cyprus
- Between Turkey and Lebanon
- UKR Ferry (this shipping company provides passenger transportation on its routes), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Odessa Ilyichevsk to Poti/Batumi 
- Odessa Ilyichevsk to Varna 
- Odessa Ilyichevsk to Derince (Turkey, port on Marmara Sea) 
- Kerch to Poti 
- Varna to Poti/Batumi 
- (Navigation Maritime Bulgare), ☎ , , , e-mail: email@example.com. German/Bulgarian-owned company provides passenger transportation between:
- Varna (Bulgaria) and Poti/Batumi (Georgia) -- passenger €100, car €220
- Varna (Bulgaria) and Chernomorsk (near Odessa, Ukraine)
- Chernomorsk (Ukraine) and Poti/Batumi (Georgia)
- From Russian port of Sochi ferries go to Trabzon (Turkey) and Batumi (but you have to be a citizen of Georgia, Russia or CIS to board this one). Website of the port in Sochi  [dead link]