- For other places with the same name, see Sorrento (disambiguation).
Sorrento is in Campania. The town features beautiful architecture, many cafes and restaurants, and shops catering to tourists.
Sorrento is on the Circumvesuviana rail system, so it is easily reached from Naples and an ideal base for visiting the archaeological sites at Pompeii and Ercolano.
Ferries regularly commute between Sorrento and Capri, Positano and Amalfi, making Sorrento an ideal base for exploring the other beautiful places in the region.
- Read about the unified public transport ticket Campania Unico.
- From Naples Airport ('Capodichino'): You can reach Sorrento by bus, from Capodichino to Sorrento buses depart six times daily.
- The Circumvesuviana goes from Naples (starting at Porta Nolana via Garibaldi) along the coast ending at the 1 Sorrento train station (€4.90, 1 hr 20 min, as of July 2021). The trains tend to get very crowded until the stop at Pompei during the summer (board at Porta Nolana for a seat) and many of them are outdated and your only air conditioning will be an open window. They run approx. every 30 minutes. Tickets can be bought both at staffed counters as well as over the Unico Campania app. There are very few ticket machines, which are hard to find (one is in the main hall of Porta Nolana to the right of the counters, one at the elevator on the first floor of Sorrento station) and often out of order.
- From mid-March to the end of October, the Campania Express runs along the same route as the Circumvesuviana between Naples and Sorrento, but stops at just a few stations and takes about 50 min (30 min less than the commuter trains). These trains have guaranteed seating, air conditioning, and space to store baggage. €10 oneway as of July 2021.
The SITA and City Sightseeing buses from Positano and Amalfi end in Sorrento in the plaza in front of the train station.
From Naples' Tangenziale drive south towards Costiera Sorrentina, and be prepared to spend 1½ hours in the traffic.
- Naples: Only one company operates between "Napoli Beverello" and Sorrento. The service is approximately every 2 hours (Sep 2017). Price paid in port for a single trip, adult: €12.90 (Sep 2017). It takes about 40 minutes, which is faster than by car or train.
- Ischia and Capri.
After you arrive by bus or train, you will exit to the modern park 1 Piazza Lauro. From there, you can:
- Local buses - the local bus service is good enough to visit all interesting places available in the area.
- Lemon terraces
- 2 Small Port (Marina Piccola). A pretty boat port
- 3 puntacampanella. The natural reserve.
- 4 Villa Pollio (Regina Giovanna Castel Roman Ruins). Roman ruins in Capo di Sorrento
- 5 Hotel Tramontano. Place where Norwegian writer Henrik Ibsen lived while writing parts of Peer Gynt (1867) and Ghosts (1881).
- 6 Museo Correale di Terranova. Sorrento's picture gallery
- 7 Archeological Museum of the Sorrentine Peninsula, Via Ripa di Cassano 1, ☏ +39 081 8087078. Tu-Su 10:00-18:30.
- 8 Museum of the Inlaid Wood (Museo Bottega della Tasia Lignea), Via San Nicola 28, ☏ +39 081 877 1942, firstname.lastname@example.org. A collection of local applied arts. The collection includes furniture crafted through the 20th century, and modern design.
- 9 Duomo (Cathedral) (Along Corso Italia).
- 10 Church of San Francesco. its cloister dates from 1300, and is one of the most picturesque spots in town.
- 11 Basilica di Sant'Antonino.
- 12 Piazza Torquato Tasso. Sorrento's main piazza, connected to Piazza Lauro by Corso Italia. Walk a few meters up Viale Enrico Caruso to enjoy the view over the railing down to:.
- 13 Valley of the Mills (Vallone dei Mulini) (in the gorge below Piazza Tasso.). At the bottom of the gorge, there are ruins of one of a water-powered mills with a lumberyard adjacent.
- 14 Via San Cesareo. one of the oldest streets in town.
- 15 Sedil Dominova. The former gathering place for Sorrento's high society, and now the headquarters of the Società di Mutuo Soccorso.
- 16 Villa Comunale. Offers a beautiful view over the Sorrento coastline with Mount Vesuvius in the distance.
- 17 Piazza Vittoria. Another beautiful scenic overlook.
- Swim - Go to Marina Grande or (the better option) Marina Piccola. Some reserved areas with sand will ask for a €5-10 entrance fee (which will also get you a seat and an umbrella). A much better and more spectacular option might even me Bagni Regina Giovanna, a nice little cove from the ocean in a secluded spot. Though a bit far, it's worth the trip (ask the locals for direction).
- 1 Sorrento Bike, Viale Nizza 37, ☏ +39 366 98 02 885. Rent a bike and ride out of to see the coast from above. They rent helmet, bottle, saddle bag and padlock. They can deliver and pick up the bike to your hotel, or wherever you wish. On-line reservations.
- Rent a scooter or motorbike from the many shops offering them: typical rates (as of Oct 2019) are €25-35 for 5 hours, €28-40 for 12 hours, €35-45 for 1 day, €85-130 for 3 days.
- Corso Italia is the main shopping street in the center of Sorrento.
- One of the top souvenirs from the area is limoncello, the signature lemon liqueur. You can find it at 1 Limonoro, Via San Cesareo, 49. This is a good place to see it being made, after which you'll know why it packs such a punch – it's basically pure alcohol with flavouring.
- 2 Enoteca l'Alambicco, Via San Cesareo 15 (A few steps from Piazza Tasso), ☏ +39 081 807 3339, email@example.com. A wine and limoncello shop in the historical centre, offers free tastings.
- 3 Iolanda moda e accessori, Via San Cesareo 14 (Very close to Piazza Tasso), ☏ +39 081 878 1926, firstname.lastname@example.org. A leather and fashion shop in historical centre, have large choice of bags, wallets, bijoux and shoes of brands like Valentino, Roccobarocco, and Cromnia.
- 4 Notturno Intarsio, Via Fuorimura, 33. Has the most beautiful inlaid woods. Tables, tea carts, pictures, music boxes. Notturno has been in business for hundreds of years and has the best woodworkers around. Take their tour to see how they make these beautiful pieces of art.
Restaurants and other eating places are often open until 23:30. Dining very late is feature in common with many other tourist destinations in the south of Italy. People often go out late (around 18:00) to walk around in the square or town center, and end the evening dining in a restaurant.
Piazza Tasso has many cafés with outdoor tables for coffee, a drink and people-watching.
- Gnocchi alla Sorrentina - potato gnocchi with tomato sauce and mozzarella baked to perfection.
- The Pastiera a typical cake that is produced in the area.
- The excellent olive oil produced in Penisola Sorrentina, this product to be prized in many events.
- The artichoke or aubergines parmigiana is a typical dish that is made with tomatoes and cheese.
- 1 Gelateria Davide, Via Padre Reginaldo Giuliani 41. One of the best gelaterias in the city, this little ice-cream parlour is famous for its gelato that incorporates fresh local flavours. Don't miss the Profumi di Sorrento (with fresh local citrus fruits) or the Noci di Sorrento (with fresh local nuts).
- 2 O Parrucchiano Restaurant, Corso Italia 71, ☏ +39 081 8781321, fax: +39 081 5324035, email@example.com. 12:00-15:30 & 19:00-22:30. Historical, traditional restaurant.
- 3 Il Leone Rosso, Via Marziale 25, ☏ +39 081 8073089, firstname.lastname@example.org. Il Leone Rosso is a small, cheap, and surprisingly delicious restaurant, known for catering to tour groups. Traditional limoncello is served after meals.
- 4 Don Alfonso 1890 Restaurant, Corso Sant'Agata, 11/13 (Sant'Agata sui due Golfi), ☏ +39 081 878 00 26, +39 081 878 05 61, fax: +39 081 533 02 26.
- 5 Pizzeria Da Franco, Corso Italia 265, ☏ +39 081-877-2066. €6 pizzas, hot sandwiches, beer, wine, limoncello.
Several waterfront restaurants here offer local cuisine, fresh fish and seafood:
- 6 Di Leva (Le 5 Sorelle), Via Marina Grande 31, ☏ +39 081 878 3826. Daily 10:00-23:00. Run by five sisters, it has excellent seafood, especially the spaghetti alla frutti di mare. And Sophia Lauren ate here in 2004.
- 7 Taverna Azzurra, Via Marina Grande 166, ☏ +39 081 877 25 10, +39 334 92 911 50. Also very good.
- Limoncello di Sorrento, a strong liquor made from lemon rind. Also try other similar liquors such as Crema al Limone (like Limoncello but cream-based and less strong), and local wines like Falanghina, Lachryma Christi.
- Amaro di Capo di Sorrento - a liqueur made from bitter herbs. There is more to Sorrento than limoncello.
- 1 B&B Casa Mazzola, Via Nastro D'Argento 35, ☏ +39 081 8073772, +39 333 6724708, email@example.com. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 11:00. Features a beautiful panoramic view of Sorrento coast line; breakfast included.
- 2 B&B Il Giglio Bianco, Via Parsano, 25, ☏ +39 334 12 33 064, +39 333 37 94 829, firstname.lastname@example.org. A tranquil place, with large and airy rooms all furnished in modern style with balconies overlooking citrus plants.
- 3 Casa Gilda, Via Marina Grande 7 (In Marina Grande), ☏ +39 338 8560460, fax: +39 0810098763. One of the few houses in town that's directly on the sea.
- 4 La Terrazza Family Holidays, Via Occulto 26 (Sant'Agnello), ☏ +39 376 0052051, info@LaTerrazzaSorrento.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 10:00. La Terrazza family Holidays is the most welcoming vacation rental for Families, in Sorrento Coast.
It's large vacation rental of 150 m² for up to 11 guests.
La Terrazza Family Holidays has a rooftop sun terrace, parking for 3 cars in a reserved area, free Wi-Fi broadband, air conditioning and heating, dishwasher, ice machine, 2 washing machines, a tumble dryer, 3 safes and an eco friendly hot water system with solar thermal collector.
- 5 Hotel Desirèe, Via del Capo 31B (Ten minutes by foot from the city centre), ☏ +39 081 8781563, fax: +39 081 8781563. Sweet old hotel perched on the edge of a cliff. Some rooms have great views of the sea; others don't. Rooms are small but clean and rates include a light breakfast - highlight is friendly, knowledgeable staff. US$70-110.
- 6 Hotel Nice Sorrento, Corso Italia, 257, ☏ +39 081 8781650, fax: +39 081 8783086, email@example.com. Cheap accommodations with good hospitality and services. The staff are available for any kind of reservations. Large selection of guestrooms and rates, divided in double, triple and quadruple, standard and economy. starting from €90; breakfast is included in the price.
- 7 Ville Vieille B&B Sorrento, Via Meta Amalfi, 80, ☏ +39 338 9648713, fax: +39 081 5333481, firstname.lastname@example.org. Bed and breakfast on the Amalfi Coast, between Sorrento and Positano, with a fantastic view on the Sorrento Bay. Starting from €60, rates change according to the season and include breakfast..
- 8 Ulisse Deluxe Hostel, Via del Mare, 22, ☏ +39 081 8774753, fax: +39 081 8774093, email@example.com. Check-in: 13:00, check-out: 11:00. Tucked down a side street, but less than 5 minutes' walk from the town, more a hotel than a hostel. It has the facilities of a 3-star hotel, air-conditioned, spacious and clean, and the desk staff are very helpful. Double rooms start from €31 per person (€21 to sleep in a dormitory) and the sizeable continental breakfast is €7..
- 9 Relais Villa Oriana, Via Privata Rubinacci 1, ☏ +39 081 8782468, fax: +39 081 0112659, firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel with a panoramic view and jacuzzi on the terrace. Owners produce limoncello and offer their guests a yacht in order to explore the coast.
- 10 Grand Hotel la Pace, Via Tordara 10 (Sant'Agnello), ☏ +39 081 8074775, email@example.com. 5-star hotel with spa, gym, restaurants, suites, parking, shuttle bus for Sorrento and swimming pool bar.
- 11 Hotel Central, Corso Italia 254 (Sorrento Center), ☏ +39 081 878 16 46, firstname.lastname@example.org. 4-star hotel with sauna, gym, restaurant, swimming pool and bar.
- 12 Hotel Cristina, Via Privata Rubinacci 6 (Sant'Agnello), ☏ +39 081 878 35 62, email@example.com. 4-star sea view hotel close to Sorrento with panoramic view, swimming pool, elegant rooms.
- 13 Hotel Villa Fiorita, Via Nastro Verde 96, ☏ +39 081 8780003, fax: +39 081 8080950, firstname.lastname@example.org. 3-star hotel with swimming pool, solarium and bar. Sea view. From €50 per room per night with buffet breakfast included..
- 14 Grand Hotel Hermitage Sorrento, Via Nastro Verde 9 (Sant'Agata sui due Golfi), ☏ +39 081 8780082, fax: +39 081 8780062, email@example.com. Four-star hotel with swimming pool and restaurant located between Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. 90 bedrooms divided in double, twin (also available with sea view) and triple. all with private bath and shower. €89 to 109 including breakfast.
- 15 Hotel Crawford, Corso Marion Crawford 77 (Sant'Agnello), ☏ +39 081 8071772, fax: +39 081 4629116, firstname.lastname@example.org. A residence which has been renovated to offer guests good comfort for a three star hotel. Single rooms from €73 doubles from €108, triples from €140.
- 16 Villa Romita Sorrento, Via Nastro Verde 9, ☏ +39 081 8780082, fax: +39 081 8780082, email@example.com. Former farmhouse of the 19th century turned into an elegant and well furnished four-star hotel with swimming pool, spa centre, restaurant and bar, located on the hillside around Sorrento and with a fantastic sea view, also available for weddings. Double rooms €70.
- 17 Villa Romantica, Via Montecorbo 1A (Massa Lubrense), ☏ +39 081 8789370. A beautiful holiday villa overlooking Capri Island. This is in a very quiet place, surrounded by a 4000-m² garden with typical cultivation, such as lemon and olive trees.
- 18 Relais Villa Saverese, Corso Marion Crawford 59 (Sant'Agnello), ☏ +39 081 532 49 20, firstname.lastname@example.org. Late 19th-century patrician residence home in a splendid park of palms and citrus trees, a prestigious charming boutique hotel; combines rooms rich in history, such as the library with its antiques and vintage books, with modern comforts and professional service. €100-420.
- 19 Villa Serena (Villas to rent in Sorrento), Via Pantano, 21/a. An exclusive vacation villa rental. A place for a family holiday or a group of 6. The villa stands in beautiful and evocative scenery, in the location of Capo di Sorrento. €4,000-6,500/week.
- 20 Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, Piazza Torquato Tasso, 34, ☏ +39 081 877 7111, email@example.com. Luxury aristocratic hotel set in 5 acres (2.0 hectares) of peaceful gardens with views of Vesuvius and the Gulf of Naples. €350-630.
- 21 Hilton Sorrento Palace, Via Rivolo Sant'Antonio, 13, ☏ +39 081 8784141, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. 4-star hotel with swimming pools, mediterranean-style bedrooms with sea views, restaurants, gym and tennis court.
- Capri and Ischia by ferry.
- Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples by the Circumvesuviana Railway.
- The Amalfi Coast: Positano, Praiano, Amalfi, etc., by SITA or City Sightseeing buses, or by ferry.
- The Greek temples in Paestum.
- Ravello - mountain village, home of Gore Vidal