The Amalfi Coast lies in the southwestern region of Campania, Italy. For its extraordinary beauty and its iconic medieval cliffside Mediterranean fishing villages, it is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
From west to east
On the beach
- 1 Positano
- 2 Praiano
- 3 Furore
- Conca dei Marini
- 4 Amalfi
- 5 Atrani
- 6 Ravello
- 7 Maiori
- 8 Cetara
- Vietri sul Mare
In the mountains
This is one of the best places you can visit in the summer as it is hot and offers lots of facilities
The Amalfi Coast is a stunning beauty with its steep sloped lemon tree gardens and coloured terrace houses and stunning views and azure sea. It is south east of Naples starting from Sorrento stretching almost to Salerno. Along the coast line you will find places like Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello, each of them stunning beauties with their own flair. Prices are high compared to Naples.
The Amalfi Coast enjoys a Mediterranean climate with long, hot summers and short, mild winters. The winter months are characterized by pleasant daytime temperatures and variable weather. Summers are sunny and dry. Overall, although it gets a lot of sunshine, the Amalfi Coast also receives abundant rainfall, as shown by its lush vegetation.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Taking your car is discouraged because of the road size and lack of parking. During the summer there may be limitations on the road for tourist buses: e.g. sometimes the road along the coast is one way only for tourism buses from Sorrento to Salerno.
- Sita Coach, ☏ . Buses from Naples to Sorrento (1 hr 10 min), 2-3 per hour.
- Travelmar ferries, ☏ . Naples—Amalfi (via Capri) 3 per day, 2 hr 15 min, adult €32, child €16.
- Aliscafo Hydrofoil, ☏ . Naples-Sorrento 6-7 per day.
Many people rent the ubiquitous scooters, which is an indeed a good option, if you have previous experience, otherwise the heavy traffic and narrow roads makes this a bad place to learn.
There are many agencies offering boat excursions along the coast and to Capri.
Ferries are also available to access major towns on the coast, including Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, and Salerno. Ferry tickets can be purchased by the docks.
- Travelmar ferries, ☏ . Amalfi—Capri, 3 times a day, 50 min, adult €24, child €16. Amalfi—Sorrento, 5 times a day, 1 hr 15 min—1 hr 30 min, adult €16.50-18, child €8.50-13. Amalfi—Positano, 4 times a day, 15 min, adult €8, child €6.50.
- Aliscafo Hydrofoil, ☏ . Sorrento-Capri 20 per day. Sorrento-Amalfi 8 per day. Sorrento-Positano 8 per day. Sorrento-Salerno 1 per day. Sorrento-Ischia 2 per day.
- SITA Coach, ☏ . Buses along the coast from Sorrento via Positano to Amalfi 2-3 times per hour. Choose the region "Campania" from the website to find the timetables. Tickets cannot be purchased on board but are very easy to find in bars, newsagents, etc. The SITA buses are the least expensive option, but can be slow, and are often very crowded. A day pass that includes Ravello is available for €10-12.
- City Sightseeing. Apr-Oct only. Hourly buses from Sorrento to Positano (40 min) and then to Amalfi (50 min more); €10 one stop, €15 two stops (or return), €6 for the return ticket. Amalfi to Ravello every half-hour, €5 each way. Buy tickets from agents at the bus stops.
The Amalfi coast is renowned for its diversity; every town has its own character and interesting sites. The most noticeable places to visit on the Amalfi coast are:
- The Duomo (the cathedral) in Amalfi, and its cloister (Chiostro del Paradiso in Italian)
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta in Positano
- The churches of San Salvatore del Birecto and of Santa Maria Maddalena in Atrani
- Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo in Ravello
- The churches of San Luca and San Gennaro in Praiano and their viewpoints
- The church of San Pancrazio in Conca dei Marini and its viewpoint
- The church of Santa Trofimena and the ancient Roman villa in Minori
- The Fjiord of Furore with the Mulino Cartiera (Paper Mill) and the "Monazzeni" of Anna Magnani & Roberto Rossellini Furore
- Hiking trips along the mountain paths (see Positano)
- Riding by bike along hill paths
- Local festivals and events information: Amalfi coast
- Visit nearby Herculaneum and Pompeii.
- Climb Mount Vesuvius
- Visit Paestum
- Visit Naples
- Visit Capri
- Visit Ischia, an island outside Naples.
- Visit Praia a Mare, about 150 km south of the Amalfi Coast.