Ringsted has a population of 20,575 (2009).
There are buses, a train station and lots of bicycle paths.
- 1 Church of Saint Benedict (Sankt Bendts Kirke). The church was built in the 12th century and contains the tomb of, among others, Queen Dagmar.
- 2 The Houses of Mahler (De Mahlerske Huse), Sct. Bendtsgade 5. Two historical houses named after the builder. Has been owned by the church for the last century. The houses can only be watched from the outside, but the municipality is in the process of considering how make the houses avaiable to the public..
- 3 The Old Mail House (Postgården), Nørregade 2. This is the oldest secular building in town built in 1806. It was originally a merchant's house. From 1826 it started to be used as a mail house serving people traveling with the day coach, and later on it was a hotel and restaurant. The building now houses the administration of a bank.
- 4 Ringsted Exchange (Ringsted gamle børs).
- 5 Ringsted Wind Mill. Museum and fully functional windmill.
- 6 [dead link] Sanct Bendts Kirke.
- 7 The Court Stones.
- 8 Crucifix for Knud Lavard.
- 9 Dronning Dagmars mindebrønd.
- 10 Gørrildsborg.
- 11 Ridebanen.
- 12 The ruins of Knud Lavards chapel.
Parks and nature
- 13 [dead link] Giesgaard Woods.
- 14 Gyldenløves Hill.
- 15 Humlebjerget.
- 16 Humleore.
- 17 Klosterlunden.
- 18 Kværkeby Experimentelle Fuglereservat.
- 19 Lystanlægget.
- 20 Store Bøgeskov.
Museums and galleries
- 21 Bedstedhave.
- 22 Beo Beo.
- 23 Galleri Frem.
- 24 The House of History.
- 25 [dead link] Ringsted Galleriet.
- 26 Ringsted Radiomuseum, ☏ . Apr-Sep: Tu W Th Su 11:00-16:00. 50 kr including coffee and cake.
- 27 Sporvejsmuseet Skjoldenæsholm.
In Ringsted there is a lot of shopping, in the Ringstedet shopping, in the "Factory Outlet", and in the city which has a lot of different shops. The city centre also have a shopping centre called "Ringsted Centret", a nice place with exciting shops, e.g. a well assorted shoe shop "Rica Sko" with the newest and most fancy shoes for the whole family.
A large shopping center called "Factory Outlet" contains some interesting boutiques. There is also a small cinema (only 30 seats) in Ringsted, and a congress centre with ever changing music and entertainment.
The choice of restaurants is not too bad for a city of this size. You can find cheap fast food, pizzerias, Chinese and even a Mexican restaurant. If you want Danish cuisine, you will have to spend a bit more, but will also be rewarded with some decent menus. The city does not have any real top end restaurants, maybe except for the restaurant at Skjoldenæsholm, but a few restaurants have found their way to the splurge section offering Danish or Japanese cuisine. Most of the restaurants are found in the area between Jyllandsgade and Nordre Ringvej.
- 1 Deep Pan House, Køgevej 28, ☏ . M-Sa 11:00-22:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Fast food restaurant serving deep pan pizzas, as well as Italian and Mexican dishes. Deep pan pizzas from 50 kr, pastas from 50 kr, nachos 60 kr.
- 2 El Castillo's Cantina, Vestervej 2, ☏ . Mexican restaurant.
- 3 [dead link] Firezza, Sct. Hansgade 11, ☏ , ✉ Firezza4100@gmail.com. M-Sa 11:00-21:00, Su 12:00-21:00. Italian restaurant also serving pastas and meat dishes. The pizzas are made in a stone oven. The interior is stylish and distinguish this place from the ordinary pizzeria.
- 4 Hua Yang, Køgevej 24-26, ☏ . Buffet with barbeque 108 kr (F-Su 128 kr), menus from 118 kr, mains from 89 kr.
- 5 [dead link] Benløse Kro, Roskildevej 113, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 17:00-22:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Old inn serving typical Danish cuisine. Large portions but not very sophisticated. Friendly service but a bit slow. Mains 140-300 kr.
- 6 Chr. VI Overdrevskro, Roskildevej 513 (10 km northeast of town, take bus 240 to Roskildevej/Nebsmøllevej stop, walk back to Roskildevej and continue northeast for 15 minutes), ☏ . W 17:00-21:00, Th-Su 12:00-21:00. Old inn dating back from around 1700, even though the present buildings are somewhat newer. Serves traditional Danish cuisine. Sunday lunch buffet 125 kr, mains 100-125 kr.
- 7 Ferdinands Bøfhus, Nørregade 31-33, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11:00-22:00, F Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 13:00-22:00. Restaurant specialising in steaks with a lot of different dishes to choose from. The restaurants brands itself as fusion/crossover, which is difficult to see why, but the steaks are great. The wine list is very limited, it is not possible to have a wine that matches the steaks. Most main dishes around 200 kr, ranging from burgers 119 kr, via 300 g tenderlion 279 kr to very large steak 600 kr.
- 8 Italy & Italy, Torvet 1C, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 12:00-15:00, 17:00-21:00; F-Sa 12:00-15:00, 17:00-22:00, Sa 17:00-21:00. Great Italian restaurant with simple and classy interior. The pastas are good, but do not go here if your are looking for a steak. The wine list is long, very Italian and lacking really top end wines. Pizzas from 75 kr, pastas from 109 kr, mains 199 kr.
- 9 Kokken & Tyren, Nørregade 38, ☏ , ✉ Mail@kokkenogtyren.dk. Tu-Su from 17:00. Danish/French cuisine with many ecological ingredients. Decent wine list. Rustic interior and a nice patio. Mains 145-280 kr.
- 10 [formerly dead link] Lins Restaurant, Køgevej 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 16:00-22:00, Sa Su 12:00-22:00. Typical Chinese restaurant, but not very cheap. Menus from 128 kr, mains 98-168 kr.
Besides the few splurge restaurants listed here, Skjoldenæsholm and Sørup Herregård listed in the sleep section also have top end restaurants.
- 11 [dead link] Kudskehuset, Skjoldenæsvej 140, Jystrup, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-M 12:00-21:00. Restaurant serving Danish cuisine in a historical building close to Skjoldenæsholm. Mains 145-249 kr.
- 12 [formerly dead link] Oishii, Tinggade 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 12:00-21:00, Sa 13:00-21:00. Japanese restaurant serving sushi and typical Japanese dishes. Menus from 178 kr.
- 13 Rådhuskroen, Sct. Bendtsgade 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 11:00-20:45, Su 16:00-20:45. Restaurant in historical building serving classical Danish cuisine. Especially the open sandwiches for lunch are great. Open sandwiches 49-89 kr, mains 158-235 kr.
About a handful of places to drink n' dance in the city.
Bars and clubs
- 1 [formerly dead link] Baghuset, Sct. Hansgade 31A, ☏ , ✉ Info@baghuset-4100.dk. M-W 15:00-00:00, Th 15:00-02:00, F 12:00-04:00, Sa 14:00-04:00. Bar with dance in weekends and live music now and then.
- 2 [dead link] Crazy Daisy, Skt Hansgade 31, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Th 21:00-late, F Sa 23:00-late. Night club promoting itself as a rock & roll bar..
- 3 Wengel, Nørregade 12. Th-Sa 16:00-01:00. Pub with live music now and then.
- 4 Café Aspendos, Møllegade 11, ☏ . M-Sa 11:00-22:00, Su 12:00-22:00. Café serving drinks and light meals.
- 5 Café Slabberas, Butik 26, Klosterparks Alle 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-17:00. Café serving drinks and light meals. Outdoor seating when weather permits.
- 6 Café Vivaldi, Sanct Hansgade 18, ☏ . 10:00-22:00; F Sa 10:00-24:00. Have a drink or cafe food on the small square.
- 1 [dead link] Annegaarden Bed & Breakfast.
- 2 [dead link] Annettes Bed & Breakfast.
- 3 Beo Beo B&B.
- 4 Danhostel, Sct. Bendtsgade 18 (just beside the church), ☏ .
- 5 Gyrstinge Village Hostel.
- 6 Skovly Camping.
|Routes through Ringsted|
|Kolding ← Slagelse ←||W E||→ Køge → Copenhagen|