Ruidoso is a town in southeastern New Mexico. Its attractions include pleasant mountain recreation and world-caliber horse racing. During the summer population triples as New Mexicans and Texans arrive to enjoy the horse races, gambling, and cool mountain air.
Ruidoso is on US 70 between Alamogordo and Roswell; the latter has daily air service to Dallas/Fort Worth and four weekly flights to Los Angeles via American Eagle, the regional affiliate of American Airlines. The nearest airports with major commercial air service are in Albuquerque and El Paso, each about 150 miles away.
- Ruidoso Downs Race Track and Casino. In the adjacent village of Ruidoso Downs. Horse racing from Memorial Day to September, culminating in the major All American Futurity, a $2-million event on Labor Day that bills itself as the richest quarter-horse race in the United States.
- Hubbard Museum of the American West, 841 US 70 West (Ruidoso Downs), ☎ . Open 7 days 9AM - 5PM. Fee. Includes the Ruidoso Downs Racing Hall of Fame.
- Spencer Theater, 108 Spencer Dr, Alto, NM 88312, ☎ . Spencer Theater is a world class performing arts center featuring traveling musicians, plays, ballets, concerts, musicals and much more. Review the upcoming schedule of events at Spencer Theater and enjoy the show!
- [dead link]Ruidoso Disc Golf (Directions: Off of Sudderth Dr. (the main street in Midtown Ruidoso, go (south) on Center St., then (right) on Wingfield St. then (left) on Grindstone Canyon Rd. then (right) on Resort Dr. Course is on the left Hole 1 is left of parking lot below Grindstone Dam.). 9 hole disc golf, a great and low cost way to enjoy the outdoors with your family. If you don't own any discs, see the above link to pick some up in town. FREE, if you bring your own discs..
- [dead link]Ruidoso Winter Park - Tubing (1/4 mile west of Hwy 48 on Ski Run Rd.), ☎ . 0am to 5PM, smetimes 9PM.. Magic carpet lifts, be whisked to the top of the hill on a moving conveyor! An area for smaller kids available.
- Lincoln National Forest. The White Mountain Wilderness is right next to Ruidoso and contains opportunities for all outdoor activities. However, due to severe fire danger there are often restrictions or closures during the summer, the current restrictions should be checked before planning activities in the forest.
- Zip Line at Two World Class Options (Apache Wind Rider ZipTour and Apache Eagle ZipRider), Inn of the Mountain Gods and Ski Apache, ☎ . In 2015, Ruidoso, NM became a destination for adventure seeking enthusiasts. Two zip lines are operated by the Mescalero Apache tribe. The Apache Wind Rider ZipTour is known as the fourth longest zipline in North America and tallest. The smaller Apache Eagle ZipRider is at the Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort and Casino.
- Creme de la Cream, 113 Rio St (One block off Sudderth by the river, behind Cafe Rio), ☎ . noon-7PM (9PM Fri & Sat). This is a desserts only restaurant with exquisite offerings including cakes, cookies, mousses, Gelato (Italian Ice Cream) and more. Great service and lovely ambiance. Not to be missed. Under $10.
- 1 Story Book Cabins, 410 Main Rd, toll-free: . Upscale rustic knotty pine cabins nestled amid the tall trees of Ruidoso's Upper Canyon. Amenities include full kitchen, washer/dryer, fireplace, hot tub, and deck views of Sierra Blanca. $119 - $349.
- Forest Home Cabins, 436 Main Rd, ☎ . Describes itself as "1-, 2- and 3-bedroom rental cabins offer comfortable lodging with rustic charm".
- [dead link]Black Bear Lodge, 428 Main Rd, toll-free: . Describes itself as "a bed & breakfast retreat for single adults or couples." All rooms non-smoking.
- Inn of the Mountain Gods, Carrizo Road, toll-free: . A well-known casino/resort on the adjacent Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation just south of town.
- Condotel Corporation, 1103 Mechem Dr, toll-free: . Offers vacation rental condos, cabins, and homes of all sizes throughout the region.
- JD's Tree House, toll-free: . One of Condotel's vacation rentals, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, fireplce, hot tub.
- Best Western Pine Springs Inn, 1420 W. Highway 70, toll-free: .
- 2 Romantic Ruidoso Cabins, 300 Main Rd. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Rental cabins nestled in the cool pines of Ruidoso's Upper Canyon. $99 - $209.
- Ruidoso River Resort & Inn, 206 Eagle Dr (Off Sudderth, in Midtown, torn at Eagle Drive, near the river), toll-free: . Beautifully decorated one-, two- and three-bedroom suites with fireplace, flat panel TV, private bath, upscale kitchen, gas BBQ grills, courtyard with waterfall, fire pit and seating area. Starting from $100/day.
- Canyon Creek Lodge, 900 Carrizo Canyon Rd, toll-free: . Rental condos available by the night, one mile from the casino. $79-$169.
- 3 Canyon Cabins, 416 Main Rd, ☎ . Nestled in the pines of the Upper Canyon. 1- to-3-bedroom cabins, each with kitchen, fireplace, and air conditioning.
- Alpine skiing is available at the nearby Ski Apache downhill area, on the Apache Reservation, +1 575 464-3600, . Drive west from Ruidoso on NM 532 to the site.
- Cloudcroft , south of town via NM 244, is another resort town in the Sacramento Mountains with abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- The National Solar Observatory has a major facility at the mountain-top "town" (really just the observatory and related services) of Sunspot, south of Cloudcroft via NM 6563. Visitors are usually welcome during daylight hours; the facility shares a visitor center  [dead link] with adjacent Apache Point Observatory.
|Routes through Ruidoso|
|Las Cruces ← Alamogordo ←||W E||→ Roswell → Clovis|