Sóller is a town on the northwest coast of Mallorca, set in a green valley surrounded by Mallorca's highest mountains. Much of the town is residential and agricultural: it is full of orange, lemon and olive groves. The resort area of Port de Sóller is 4 km away, and much more tourist-oriented.
The combined population of Sóller and Port de Sóller is 12 000. The town has a beautiful square, and many of its buildings are of architectural interest.
Sóller is 20 km drive north of Palma de Mallorca on route MA-11. You can either drive through the toll tunnel or go over the top of the Coll de Soller. Once you arrive in Soller, park your car and continue on foot, as the town's narrow streets are not conducive to driving.
The Ferrocarril de Sóller train service runs between Palma's Plaça d'Espanya and Sóller six times a day between 8AM and 7PM. Tickets are €18 single and €25 return and can be purchased at the station half an hour before the train leaves. The train journey is slow, taking over an hour, but is scenic, with marvellous views of the mountains on both sides of the tunnel. Note that even in the lower seasons the train can be very crowded. The trains are very old-fashioned with outside viewing platforms at the front and rear of each coach. The line is narrow gauge.
- TIB. operates several bus services to Port de Sóller. The IB-09 service operates between Palma and Port de Sóller; the IB-12 service operates between Peguera, Valldemossa and Port de Sóller; and the IB-15 service operates, except in winter, between Port de Pollença, Lluc, and Port de Sóller. varies, €4,50-€5,50.
- Tram. A tram service operates between the Sóller train station and Port de Sóller approximately every half hour between 7AM and 8:30PM. Like the train service from Palma, the tram service is very crowded, especially before the last train to Palma leaves in the evening. The Tranvía de Soller was one of only two tram lines (the other being the exceedingly short "Tramvia Blau" in Barcelona) to survive from the first generation of trams in Spain, and as such, it offers a glimpse of a bygone era before the tram renaissance of the last forty years. €7 per ride.
- There's a beautiful church in the centre of Soller that was built by one of Gaudí's students.
- The town of Sóller is in a bowl surrounded by mountains which makes for very good walking.
- You can take the train to Palma or take the tram to the Port de Sóller or simply wander around and look at the beautiful scenery, streets and houses.
- There is a free museum of modern art located at the train station. This has some work by famous artists, notably Joan Miró.
- Ca’n Prunera Museum, Sa Lluna st 86. Winter Tu-Su 10:30-18:30, Summer daily 10:30-18:30. An old art nouveau mansion that has been perfectly preserved as a museum of art. €5/adult.
For bike lovers there are great tracks for both roadbiking and mountain biking. Please note that mountain biking is in rocky terrain so one needs to be experienced and ride a full suspension bike. The old road to the Sóller Pass (since the tunnel opened there are only a few cars on the road) is a magnificent ride on a road bike. There are approximately 50 hairpin bends if you cross the pass to the other end of the tunnel.
Its possible to buy pizza just off the square and there are a couple of new places down the Calle dela Luna.
- Bens D'Aval. Outside Sóller there's a place called Bens D'Aval serving delicious food. You may have to book in advance.
- Cafe Sóller, Plaça Constitució 13 (in the main square). A German-run place, but it has had the same menu for years, and the food could be so much better and more varied.
- Gran Hotel Sóller. Serves great food. You may have to book in advance.
- Land hotel Ca's Curial, Camí de la Villalonga 21, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Good views over the mountains, hiking, walking, golf, tranquility walking at 10 minutes from the center.
- Hostal Nadal Soller, C/ Romaguera, 29 (in the foothills of the Sierra de Tramuntana). Free wifi connection in the rooms and garden with terrace bar. Free public parking 50 meters away.
- [formerly dead link] Casa Margarita, Carrer de Reial, 3, ☏ . Near train and tram stations. Shared toilet, but washbasins in rooms. Breakfast with boiled egg and bread served in room on request.
- Port de Sóller - the local seaside resort.
- Palma de Mallorca - Mallorca's capital and largest city.
- Easy walks to delightful villages of Biniaraix and Fornalutx.