Sackets Harbor is a village of 1450 people on Lake Ontario in Northern New York. It was a naval base which withstood two Canadian attacks in battles during the War of 1812; its arch-nemesis was the British fortification at Kingston in Upper Canada.
By car, take NY 3 (Arsenal Street) west from Watertown (New York) to Adams Road or East Main Street. Sackets Harbor is about 8 mi (13 km) southwest of Watertown's airport (ART IATA) in Dexter, NY.
By boat, Sackets Harbor should be a clear shot across Lake Ontario from Kingston.
As this is a small village, less than a mile from the core to the edge of town, it is possible to tour on foot or bicycle.
Sackets has a variety of historic sights and museums relating to the war of 1812. Madison Barracks was an active military base until just after World War II, and many of the buildings have been restored. As a stop along the Seaway Trail there is a local visitors center, and interactive museum.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:22PM local time and lasts almost 4 min. The chances of a clear sky are 35%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Ohio then straddling the Canada–New England border.
- Sackets Harbor Battlefield State Historic Site, 504 W. Main St., ☏ +1 315 646-3634, fax: +1 315 646-1203. Battlefield with restored 1850s Navy Yard and Commandant's House, exhibits, guided and self-guided tours. In season, soldiers in period uniform re-enact military camp life.
- Augustus Sacket Mansion, 301 W. Main St.. 1801 mansion built by the village's founder. Visitor information, souvenir shop, building tours available.
- [formerly dead link] Pickering Cottage and Pickering-Beach House, ☏ +1 315 646-2321. Historical museum depicting life in Sackets Harbor in the mid-19th century.
- [formerly dead link] Seaway Trail Discovery Center, 401 W Main St, ☏ +1 315 646-1000. 10AM-5PM, seasonal. Interactive exhibits in former Union Hotel (c. 1817) cover maritime and military history, lighthouses, natural history and agriculture. $4/person.
There are several beaches, museums, shops, and a golf course. Seasonal festivals and events include a brew fest and the Can-Am festival. Fishing is popular on the lake and on Mill Creek with several tournaments annually.
- Old McDonald's Farm, 14471 North Harbor Rd. (County Rt 145), ☏ +1 315 583-5737. Working 1200-acre dairy farm and petting zoo, hayrides and pony rides for young kids, playgrounds, mini-golf.
- [dead link] Shady Lady Charters, 20371 Burton Rd, ☏ +1 315 646-1733. Fishing charters on 26-foot powerboat from Henderson Harbor.
- Main Street in Sackets Harbor is a protected historic district with several independent boutiques, art galleries, museums, restaurants and bars.
- The Boathouse, 214 Main St (on waterfront, behind Hops Spot), ☏ +1 315 646-2092. Seasonal restaurant and bar in former boathouse. Wings, seafood, waterfront patio, live entertainment.
- Chrissy Beanz Bakery, 105 W Main St, ☏ +1 315 646-2330.
- Goodfellos, 202 W Main St, ☏ +1 315 646-3463. Open to midnight. Italian restaurant, pizza, wine bar.
- [formerly dead link] Sackets Harbor Anchor, 210 W Main Street, ☏ +1 315 646-2040. Sandwiches, pizza, pasta, calzones, salads, subs and wings.
- Tin Pan Galley, 110 W. Main St., ☏ +1 315 646-3812, fax: +1 315 646-1428. Outdoor garden patio, breakfast, late night live music.
- The Hops Spot, 214 1/2 W. Main St., ☏ +1 315 646-2337. Local craft beers and comfort foods, small wine selection.
- Sackets Harbor Brewing Company, 212 W. Main St., ☏ +1 315 646-2739, fax: +1 315 646-2752. Brew pub and restaurant with full cocktail bar, live music on weekends. www.1812ale.com
Sackets has several charming Bed and Breakfasts and The Ontario Place Hotel downtown. Another smaller hotel is located outside of town on Route 3 next to the Nu Peir diner.
Hotels and inns
- Madison Barracks / Marina Inn, 121 Pike Rd., ☏ +1 315 646-3375. 1815 military barracks, 30 stone buildings on 115 acres of waterfront. Most are local housing, but the site does offer a marina and the 18-room Marina Inn & Suites.
- Ontario Place Hotel, 103 General Smith Dr., ☏ +1 315 646-8000, toll-free: +1-800-564-1812. 38-room non-smoking hotel, morning coffee bar, coin laundry, souvenir shop, fireplace whirlpool suites available.
Bed and breakfast
- [formerly dead link] Candlelight Bed and Breakfast, 501 W. Washington St., ☏ +1 315 646-1518, toll-free: +1-800-306-5595. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Georgian-style historic B&B near Lake Ontario, three rooms, wi-fi, open year round, no smoking, no pets, no kids under 12. $89-135.
- [dead link] Sackets Harbor House, 402 General Smith Dr., ☏ +1 315 646-2055. Historic 1818 bed-and breakfast inn.
- Bedford Creek Marina and Campground, 16750 Allen Dr., ☏ +1 315 646-2486. Camping, kayak rental. $31-34.
- Hay Memorial Library, 105 S. Broad St., ☏ +1 315 646-2228. M-W F noon-5PM, Th 10AM-3PM, Sa 9AM-noon, closed Su. Local library with three public-access computers, wi-fi hotspot, photocopy and fax, preschool storytime.
- The US Post Office is at 107 W Main St NY 13685-9998 (M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon, closed Su), ☏ +1 315 646-2100.
|Routes through Sackets Harbor|
|Sterling ← Pulaski ←||S E||→ Watertown → Plattsburgh|